Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant: Coming back to work from lunch. My work's driveway has a high-lip curb/gutter and you have to slow way down so as not to jar your car. Slowed down to approx. 5 MPH when a gray F-150 behind me slammed into my car. Lucky me, one of the officers I work with just happened to be in the other lane and saw the whole thing. Car's gonna need a new bumper, decklid (probably) and maybe some clips. Not sure if sub-frame has any damage or not. Did not go to hospital/doc, but now thinking I should have. It did knock me forward a fair bit. Other guy immediately apologized and said he didn't even see me.

Now I have to decide whether to go through my insurance (Geico) or deal with the other guy's no-name insurance. Geico will want my deductible when the car is repaired but will "attempt" recovery of those fees from the other insurance.

Any suggestions on how to proceed. Believe it or not, I have NEVER had to file a claim of any kind.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
See if he wants to settle without insurance? This happened to me on my way home from work in stop and go traffic. Guy said he didn't want to involve insurance, paid $800 in cash based on an estimate I got from a body shop I trust

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See if he wants to settle without insurance? This happened to me on my way home from work in stop and go traffic. Guy said he didn't want to involve insurance, paid $800 in cash based on an estimate I got from a body shop I trust
Sorry, but he was at fault, so I/Geico will be perusing his insurance. I'm no claims adjuster and I don't know if anything structural/hidden was damaged so I have no idea how much the repair might be. Even if he offered me $2,000 I'd still go through insurance. Don't want to take his cash then have the damages to my car far exceed the payment.

Reactions: 08EX-L

·
Registered
512 Posts
Since you're not at fault, I would file a claim with your insurance company. You should have also gone to the hospital, since trauma doesn't necessarily show up immediately and can manifest itself later.

I would go through your own insurance company and have them deal with the other insurance company. B/c you're going to hit a wall if you try to deal with the other insurance company yourself.

This is VERY important - Make sure you tell your insurance company that the other driver made an admission against interest - apologizing and saying he didn't see you (hopefully, he did this with other witnesses around that heard it too).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes call your insurance company and give them the other guy's info and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Make sure to include in your claim that you want to pursue diminished value. Your car is now worth less since it's been in an accident and you can get paid that difference on top of whatever the repair cost are.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
The F-150 is a heavy truck so it would be best to go through your insurance. You dont know how much damage is underneath, you shouldnt have to pay anything as this wasnt your fault. Best luck as this can be draining.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice. And I will definitely have them pursue diminished value.

Here's the other guy's bumper:

Notice how the metal near the bracket/frame is actually torn and the corner is pushed toward the tire. It was definitely a hard jolt!

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I've gone through my insurance when I'm not at fault, they do the work going through the other person's insurance, and my deductible has always been returned. I'd go to a Dr. if you have pain more than just a little soreness for a few days.

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
What is the name of this "no name insurance company"? You might not know the name but others in the insurance biz might (me and others).

It's a tough decision to go through your insurance or theirs but Geico will have to subrogate against that company - it's a lot of legalities and can be time consuming. All the while you are out of your deductible for collision. And the worse thing about claiming it? It's your collision deductible that's involved. So then it shows up on what is called a C.L.U.E. report (Claims Loss Underwriting Exchange) and if you shop for other insurance they will immediately identify it as an at fault accident - you'll then have to submit proof it wasn't as most companies now use computers to scan this information and unless someone is experienced it's tough reading those reports. Seen that dozens of times.

Normally you only turn to your insurance if the other company is not complying. Diminished value is going to be a tough one as well. Geico most likely won't pay you for that as it's a gamble they could get their money back. They could ask the other company but don't bank on it. I'm not saying you won't get it but it can be difficult and may be paid when you get your deductible back. Worse case I've seen it took 2 years.

Anyhow...throw out that insurance company's name and I'll tell you if I've dealt with them and even if not what their financial rating is. There's thousands upon thousands of insurance companies out there so it's a gamble.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
If they can place 100% of the blame on the other driver, definitely go through insurance. I have a *** Coupe too, a truck backed up into me while I was backed up and smashed my rear right corner. It didn't look like it, but there was $1000 of damage behind the bumper that had to be hammered out so they could reattach the bumper properly.

Also the *** paint is a tri-layer paint, so that adds an extra $150 or so to the paint job over just a normal paint. That brings the cost for just a bumper to near $1000.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other guy's insurance is American Commerce Insurance Company, but apparently they have changed their name to MAPFRE. They do NOT have good reviews from insured customers.

The tubular structure that runs behind the bump and the foam impact material is definitely bent pretty far out of alignment and creased.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Always always always go to the ER after an accident. ALWAYS. My mother was rear ended by a utility van, and while she did receive a settlement, the fact that she didn't go to the ER- and she did sustain an injury requiring quite a bit of medical care after- was used against her and reduced the settlement amount dramatically.

Bottom line is ALWAYS go to the ER after an accident if you feel even the slightest thing wrong. Majorly important if you end up needing a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So should I just go to ER tomorrow instead of trying to get in to see a regular doc? I assume I'll be feeling any initial effects by then. Neck is a bit sire right now, nut nothing more.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Get to the ER as soon as you can. If possible, go now. Sooner is better. Going to a reg doc makes it seem non urgent.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
This is America- be the victim! In a wreck and need a check? Go to the emergency room and record it on your iPhone 6....add music and get actor Morgan Freeman to narrate- this should increase your payout 10 fold.

Better yet, call an ambulance right now! Even better, get someone else to call an ambulance for you as calling yourself demonstrates dexterity and brain function....

Don't go to work! Leave your significant other and sue for that. Sell the dog and sue for the loss on sale. Sell the kids and sue for....OK don't sell the kids- they are the future (unless we band together and stop them).

Life is all about maximizing your victimhood....that and impressing random people on Facebook. I know of no greater honor.

I am being sarcastic...but all these people have a good point.

Tomorrow morning you will feel sore. I vote that you go see a Doc tomorrow because anytime you get knocked around- you could get whiplash, a spinal disc injury, and even a concussion or a brain bleed. Simple tests could rule a lot of injuries out without scaring you into complete body MRIs and exploratory brain surgery.

Many in my family are doctors- and so I hear all the stories during holiday get-togethers. Your health is important...NEVER take it for granted. If you have insurance- use it. No excuse.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what says the gallery, best to go to ER tomorrow or try to get in to see regular Doc? Might be a problem on such short notice.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would at least utilize urgent care. Emergency rooms suck, urgent care underscores "urgency" and can get you taken care of when you need it, plus without the expense of an ER.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I went to Urgent Care about 36 hours after my last accident just to be sure. My soreness got worse. Turned out not to be serious.. just my adrenaline masking that I was banged around a bit at the time of the accident. I wanted to be sure I was just a little bruised and sore and didn't have anything more serious going on in my shoulder. Morning after the accident I was fine (happened at night)... the next day, I was significantly more sore and had some stiffness. If you're unsure, it's better to be checked out than not, but I wouldn't tie up ER time unless you do think you have an injury that warrants going in.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Rule of thumb - if you can drive yourself to the ER, you don't need an ER.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts