Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought my 19’s were no longer hot…

Well, the pictures speak for themselves. My question is, how do I prevent lowlifes from doing this to my car again? No, I can’t just leave my place for somewhere with a garage / camera now. I’m under contract for my current lease. I still have four months to go. Any ideas?

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,383 Posts
I'd suggest a set of wheel locks. You could also try parking next to a curb with your wheels turned at a 45° angle, I've heard that can make wheel removal more difficult.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A set of better wheel locks sounds like a great suggestion. I actually had my OEM / Honda factory locks on. I thought they were good enough, but…. Apparently that’s not the case…. Any suggestion on useful wheel locks?

I haven’t heard your second idea before, but I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks! 👍

·
port & polish everything
1,739 Posts
The OEM wheel locks don't do much

Reactions: Honda2014

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,415 Posts
This will solve it. I didn't get it as I park in the garage but heard really good things about the following

Ripoff Wheel Lock - Overpriced wheel security
Overpriced and tied to a specific wheel design (can't use on another Honda wheel or aftermarket wheel).

That's a hard pass for me.

But it's an option for those who don't plan to replace the OEM wheels later on, or will have the car for many many years.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The best and likely lowest cost solution is to examine your insurance coverage and deductibles and select a lower comprehensive insurance deductible and ensure that you have rental and towing coverage... which again... is usually pretty cheap.

Comprehensive insurance is usually pretty cheap. I lowered my comprehensive deductible from $500 down to $250... then again down to just $100. If someone steals my wheels, I'm out $100. If I remember correctly, lowering my comprehensive deductible from $250 to $100 added $1 to my monthly premium. Rental coverage is only a few bucks every six months. Towing adds a few bucks every six months too. Pretty cheap for the comfort of knowing that if my car is damaged/stolen/vandalized, I won't be on the hook for much financially.

My wife hit a deer with her Passport in early March... an event that's also covered by comprehensive coverage. My out of pocket expense was my deductible plus $33 for a week-long rental. (My rental coverage is 80%). I got a loaded Ford Fusion as a rental... if I would have gotten a cheaper car as a rental... my out of pocket would have been even less.

If someone wants your wheels bad enough, they will get them. Rimguard wheel locks seem to be effective- but they are very ugly, extremely expensive, and seem like they would be a bad idea if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads.

Sorry to hear that jerks stole your wheels. The Sport wheels are very much admired... sometimes too much. I have seen my fair share of non-10th Gen Accords with those wheels... and each time... I wonder if they were stolen. I once spotted a 1st or 2nd Generation CRV with a set of those sport wheels... my first thought was 'wow, someone is quick with a tire iron'.

·
port & polish everything
1,739 Posts
I'd probably switch to some ugly basic OEM 17s and put two types of lock lugs. That way the thief has to switch tooling. No sense tempting them with 19s again. Too many soft on crime prosecutors these days.

I use these also but no idea if they are effective. In this case I'm fortunate to have a garage and my work parking lot has armed security.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just when I thought my 19’s were no longer hot…

Well, the pictures speak for themselves. My question is, how do I prevent lowlifes from doing this to my car again? No, I can’t just leave my place for somewhere with a garage / camera now. I’m under contract for my current lease. I still have four months to go. Any ideas?

View attachment 540242 View attachment 540243
I know someone who just traded in their Accord that might be willing to sell you a very nice set of low-mileage EXL wheels with gloss black inner spokes and nice tires for a reasonable price... ha ha.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best and likely lowest cost solution is to examine your insurance coverage and deductibles and select a lower comprehensive insurance deductible and ensure that you have rental and towing coverage... which again... is usually pretty cheap.

Comprehensive insurance is usually pretty cheap. I lowered my comprehensive deductible from $500 down to $250... then again down to just $100. If someone steals my wheels, I'm out $100. If I remember correctly, lowering my comprehensive deductible from $250 to $100 added $1 to my monthly premium. Rental coverage is only a few bucks every six months. Towing adds a few bucks every six months too. Pretty cheap for the comfort of knowing that if my car is damaged/stolen/vandalized, I won't be on the hook for much financially.

If someone wants your wheels bad enough, they will get them. Rimguard wheel locks seem to be effective- but they are very ugly, extremely expensive, and seem like they would be a bad idea if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads.

Sorry to hear that jerks stole your wheels. The Sport wheels are very much admired... sometimes too much. I have seen my fair share of non-10th Gen Accords with those wheels... and each time... I wonder if they were stolen. I once spotted a 1st or 2nd Generation CRV with a set of those sport wheels... my first thought was 'wow, someone is quick with a tire iron'.
Yep, I agree with you on the insurance coverage no doubt. Ironically, I believe I’ve read similar posts and agreed with you on several occasions but never made the change (lower the deductible), thinking it would never happen to me lol. But yes, I’ll definitely look into it when my premium for the next 6 month is due.

As far as RimGard, I used to think it’s a lot. But dealing with it real time, $349 actually doesn’t seem too bad. Yes, it’s a bit unsightly, but I can deal with it if it means I don’t have to deal stolen wheels anymore. I don’t seem to see one for the 2020 Touring though.

As for Honda making the wheels universal across Honda lineups… I used to like the idea, not so sure anymore.

What I don’t get is, these wheels in great shape can be had on eBay for less than 1k. Why go through the trouble and risk doing jail time over such trivial, materialistic things. If you must have them, just buy them lol.
I'd probably switch to some ugly basic OEM 17s and eput two types of lock lugs. That way the thief has to switch tooling. No sense tempting them with 19s again. Too many soft on crime prosecutors these days.

I use these also but no idea if they are effective. In this case I'm fortunate to have a garage and my work parking lot has armed security.

Yeah, I’m either going to move to a safer area or one with garage after this. I’m done dealing with crap like this.

As far as switching to 17’s, that’s actually been on my mind before. But now I’m not sure, I kinda don’t want the thieves to dictate what my lifestyle will be like anymore. But you do have a great point, if I don’t have ways to prevent this from happening again without moving, this will have to be on the table. I’ll talk to my insurance claim rep about it and see what she’ll have to say.

I know someone who just traded in their Accord that might be willing to sell you a very nice set of low-mileage EXL wheels with gloss black inner spokes and nice tires for a reasonable price... ha ha.
EX-L wheels will work. I do prefer the hybrid 17’s though 😁

I’ll see if downsizing is a possibility with my insurance.

·
Turbo lag
2,379 Posts
What I don’t get is, these wheels in great shape can be had on eBay for less than 1k. Why go through the trouble and risk doing jail time over such trivial, materialistic things. If you must have them, just buy them lol.
Resell.
Or it's "free" if they use it themselves.

Reactions: Honda2014

·
(Ken)
'09 6-6 Accord Coupe
149 Posts
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this. Get five different sets of wheel locks. Sure, thieves can hammer on a socket to force them off, but it's loud and now you've 5X'd the time and noise they have to make. Even Eric the car guy was struggling.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doesn't make sense. Are you sure you weren't targeted? Did you piss someone off in your apartment complex?

Why steal your wheels and tires when that Tacoma is in the background. I bet his wheels and tires are worth more. Easier to get to as well. In my experience, there's always more to the story than what is said. Maybe, I'm wrong? Maybe this incident was one of the rare non-targeted incidents.

Try parking under a well lit parking spot. Aim for a spot with a lot of foot traffic as well. Front of the building near the entrance is always better than the back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I havent read all the responses. Im an old guy; 59. The second day of ownership I went to autozone where a kid mad mention that he wanted to steal my rims. I took this as a warning and began research.

The wheel locks are beatable. The best think I could find out there were Rimgards. I got them 2 or 3 days ago and just put them on last night. They are probably the best deterrent out there. They are pricey though and they are a bit of a PITA when it comes time to change a flat or rotate tires. Ill pull my install pics off my phone. Install took maybe 5 minutes per wheel. What these will do is push the thieves over to an easier target.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I havent read all the responses. Im an old guy; 59. The second day of ownership I went to autozone where a kid mad mention that he wanted to steal my rims. I took this as a warning and began research.

The wheel locks are beatable. The best think I could find out there were Rimgards. I got them 2 or 3 days ago and just put them on last night. They are probably the best deterrent out there. They are pricey though and they are a bit of a PITA when it comes time to change a flat or rotate tires. Ill pull my install pics off my phone. Install took maybe 5 minutes per wheel. What these will do is push the thieves over to an easier target.
Instead of someone just trying to take your wheels, this will just make the thief take the whole car instead. If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to get it. That's what insurance is for. But living in an area that has a high crime rate doesn't help things. Living in an apartment also doesn't help things. The deck is stacked against you given these two statements.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 540249 View attachment 540250 View attachment 540251 View attachment 540252 View attachment 540253

There might be some lock picking theives out there .. but I would imagine these are far and few between.
View attachment 540249 View attachment 540250 View attachment 540251 View attachment 540252 View attachment 540253

Instead of someone just trying to take your wheels, this will just make the thief take the whole car instead. If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to get it. That's what insurance is for. But living in an area that has a high crime rate doesn't help things. Living in an apartment also doesn't help things. The deck is stacked against you given these two statements.
Kill switch will also be installed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Your attached images come up with permission issues.

I suspect LPL would open those locks within 3 minutes for the first one and 1/min per lock for the other 3. I've requested he test them.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts