Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought my 19’s were no longer hot…

Well, the pictures speak for themselves. My question is, how do I prevent lowlifes from doing this to my car again? No, I can’t just leave my place for somewhere with a garage / camera now. I’m under contract for my current lease. I still have four months to go. Any ideas?

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A set of better wheel locks sounds like a great suggestion. I actually had my OEM / Honda factory locks on. I thought they were good enough, but…. Apparently that’s not the case…. Any suggestion on useful wheel locks?

I haven’t heard your second idea before, but I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks! 👍

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best and likely lowest cost solution is to examine your insurance coverage and deductibles and select a lower comprehensive insurance deductible and ensure that you have rental and towing coverage... which again... is usually pretty cheap.

Comprehensive insurance is usually pretty cheap. I lowered my comprehensive deductible from $500 down to $250... then again down to just $100. If someone steals my wheels, I'm out $100. If I remember correctly, lowering my comprehensive deductible from $250 to $100 added $1 to my monthly premium. Rental coverage is only a few bucks every six months. Towing adds a few bucks every six months too. Pretty cheap for the comfort of knowing that if my car is damaged/stolen/vandalized, I won't be on the hook for much financially.

If someone wants your wheels bad enough, they will get them. Rimguard wheel locks seem to be effective- but they are very ugly, extremely expensive, and seem like they would be a bad idea if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads.

Sorry to hear that jerks stole your wheels. The Sport wheels are very much admired... sometimes too much. I have seen my fair share of non-10th Gen Accords with those wheels... and each time... I wonder if they were stolen. I once spotted a 1st or 2nd Generation CRV with a set of those sport wheels... my first thought was 'wow, someone is quick with a tire iron'.
Yep, I agree with you on the insurance coverage no doubt. Ironically, I believe I’ve read similar posts and agreed with you on several occasions but never made the change (lower the deductible), thinking it would never happen to me lol. But yes, I’ll definitely look into it when my premium for the next 6 month is due.

As far as RimGard, I used to think it’s a lot. But dealing with it real time, $349 actually doesn’t seem too bad. Yes, it’s a bit unsightly, but I can deal with it if it means I don’t have to deal stolen wheels anymore. I don’t seem to see one for the 2020 Touring though.

As for Honda making the wheels universal across Honda lineups… I used to like the idea, not so sure anymore.

What I don’t get is, these wheels in great shape can be had on eBay for less than 1k. Why go through the trouble and risk doing jail time over such trivial, materialistic things. If you must have them, just buy them lol.
I'd probably switch to some ugly basic OEM 17s and eput two types of lock lugs. That way the thief has to switch tooling. No sense tempting them with 19s again. Too many soft on crime prosecutors these days.

I use these also but no idea if they are effective. In this case I'm fortunate to have a garage and my work parking lot has armed security.

Yeah, I’m either going to move to a safer area or one with garage after this. I’m done dealing with crap like this.

As far as switching to 17’s, that’s actually been on my mind before. But now I’m not sure, I kinda don’t want the thieves to dictate what my lifestyle will be like anymore. But you do have a great point, if I don’t have ways to prevent this from happening again without moving, this will have to be on the table. I’ll talk to my insurance claim rep about it and see what she’ll have to say.

I know someone who just traded in their Accord that might be willing to sell you a very nice set of low-mileage EXL wheels with gloss black inner spokes and nice tires for a reasonable price... ha ha.
EX-L wheels will work. I do prefer the hybrid 17’s though 😁

I’ll see if downsizing is a possibility with my insurance.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I haven't heard about them, but I will check them out for sure. Thanks!

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this. Get five different sets of wheel locks. Sure, thieves can hammer on a socket to force them off, but it's loud and now you've 5X'd the time and noise they have to make. Even Eric the car guy was struggling.
Theoretically, yes, sure. But having five different sets of wheel locks does have a drawback, like what if I lose one of the keys? lol. Also, I'm pretty sure it's going to take considerably longer doing tire rotations or anytime wheels need to be taken off. It's an interesting idea though.
Doesn't make sense. Are you sure you weren't targeted? Did you piss someone off in your apartment complex?

Why steal your wheels and tires when that Tacoma is in the background. I bet his wheels and tires are worth more. Easier to get to as well. In my experience, there's always more to the story than what is said. Maybe, I'm wrong? Maybe this incident was one of the rare non-targeted incidents.

Try parking under a well lit parking spot. Aim for a spot with a lot of foot traffic as well. Front of the building near the entrance is always better than the back.
Actually, I don't really recall that I pissed off anyone. Other than the management and the mailman/woman, I don't typically interact with people i don't know in the building. The only exception is elderly people. I do say hello to them when I see them because that's how I was brought up. Just basic manners. Of course, when someone asks me a question or asks for help, I'd tend to respond to respond in a positive manner too. But you're right, I may have unknowingly pissed off someone with the way I drive (let's just say, sometimes I drive a bit fast lol), but I don't do any jerk moves like brake-checking / deliberately cutting people off etc. So it's a possibility, but not likely.

You are not wrong in that there are certainly better cars / more expensive cars out here in the complex, so besides being shocked, I was also quite puzzled. It's not like the '20 Accord wheels in used condition are worth that much anymore. It is weird.

Going back to the original subject of theft prevention. In my opinion, theft is not the problem, it is the symptom. The problem is the perception that crime does pay. I call it perception, you can call it truth.

As long as the value of a hot set of wheels is greater than the risk of getting caught multiplied by the cost of getting caught, it is a lucrative endeavor, end of. There are career criminals with hundred+ arrests on their record walking on the streets. Send a thank you letter to your local representative and your favorite policy maker for making this possible.
Yeah, it's kind of shame. It does seem that the easier people are getting away with it, the more likely they are going to continue / repeat the same bad behavior.

Are you sure they didn't do anything else? Did you start it up? Is the catalytic converter still there?
Good question. That's what I'm wondering. No, I haven't started up yet, but I thought the car looked fine after a quick visual inspection right after I found out about the incident. Of course, I'll know more for sure once the car goes into the shop.
I’ve been keeping $50 deductible for comprehensive coverage which I believe cover theft and vandalism. There’s really not much price delta from $500 to $50, yet you’re protected from such situations.

In the future, I honestly don’t know your choices. Maybe buy a set of aftermarket wheels? For the same price as OEM you can potentially go for forged ones (I see $400-ish for 18” forged at Costco, which is not much more expensive than OEM 19”).
Yep, lowering the deductible for my next insurance bill is absolutely something I'll be looking to do next.

I am not too big on wheels, actually. It's more the feeling of getting robbed (essentially) that upset me and concerns of having to deal with the same BS again. I'll have the same concerns with a nice set of aftermarket wheels.... unless you're talking about cheap stuff, which I probably wouldn't be interested either in the first place.

Anyways, I had thought about moving before this happened for a different reason, it looks like a done deal after this. It's a shame, the apartment itself is quite nice, and the management team is fairly pleasant to deal with for the most part. I do need to think creatively to protect my wheels or move the car away for the time being before my lease term is up though.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
On an unrelated note, I was very surprised to find out that my new 2022 Highlander is almost $20/month cheaper to insure compared to my 2021 Accord Touring. My agent said that the claim rate for Accords is much higher than the Highlander.
Woah woah woah! So you traded in your Accord for the Highlander? Or is that your 3rd car in the household? If my memory is correct, don't you have a garage? I wouldn't worry about it at all if I had a garage.

You have to realize that ppl doing this are just your typical loosers who dont want to get a job, stay up all night smoking meth/crack whatever they do...then go out and get your wheels and put them on Marketplace or Craigslist for a quick 600-800$ and that will keep them high another 2-3 day until there next wheel take.

If it were me, Id get some cheap, ugly wheels. Dont renew your lease, and next place get a garage. Really the cheap ugly steel wheels noone will take and will give you time to find new ones (and a new place)
Yep, that's the plan. I might not get cheap, ugly wheels, but I'm seriously considering downsizing to something like 17's or 16's. I just need to make sure insurance isn't going to play games with me by giving me some crappy small wheels when I'm actually saving them money (going from 19's to 17's).

I've already call and reported to the police, but I don't have high hopes as I'm still waiting for a call back for a "formal report" with an officer. Seems like this sorta event is happening often around here...

Can't prevent it..all you can do is slow them down, and/or they give up.
They operate in gangs and I've seen boulders, milk crates, bricks, etc.. underneath cars, afterward...two jack up the front, two on the back and two guys start taking the wheels off...they're outta there in 5-10 minutes, sometimes sooner.

One thing my '14 EX-L has going for it, is undesirable wheels..and that's the way it's staying.
Right. I had my '14 for a few years too. Drove to many places on the east coast - 60k over 2.5 years. Never been targeted in that car. Never a major issue other than a couple hiccups and crappy stock battery. Granted, the first year I had my car, I was in an apartment with 24 hr camera surveillance and an indoor garage.... I went cheap this time and now this happens...

Yeah, I'm all for holding people accountable, but that message seems a bit excessive.

I just want the selfish bastard to know, what if someone else does the same crap to them? How would that make them feel?

Other than that, no hard feelings lol
There is 4 or 5 block long street in my area that had three 10gen Accord Toruings on blocks within few days of each other. All had the same rims. One took to long on getting new rims, so someone took the cats.

I just never understood why they are so popular.
As much as I've liked their look, I actually thought the Sport wheel was looker and the only Accord wheel getting all the attention.... I even gave up my brief idea of getting the Sport due to this reason (and for the discount on the Touring too, of course)... little did I know lol. Much ado about nothing sigh...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I work for a garage that tows for a Honda dealer Some weeks we tow in 6 to 8 Hondas with all 4 wheels stolen Also lately we have been towing in 2 Hondas a week for stolen catalytic converters .Two months ago we went to tow 3 Hondas from a condo complex and there were numerous other car carriers there when we arrived Talking to a cop I found out that that complex had 42 cars hit that night either tires and wheels or catalytic converters .Some cars because of age and mileage just having the cat stolen causes the insurance company to total the vehicle Honda wheels and cats are expensive and there is a large black market for them
As much as I love my Honda, your post made me want to trade in my car now lol

God, why do people have to be like this?

This is sickening.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yep- I got rid of the Accord last week because I was getting really upset that my local Honda dealers were refusing to fix a really annoying brake issue. I actually pulled into the local Toyota dealership because they had a Camry XSE V6 on the lot that was in the front row- so I figured that it was available. It had already been sold... along with all other Camrys on the lot. (The dealership still has the thing parked in the front row- seven days later. I'm not sure why it hasn't been picked up). Getting a V6 Camry in my neck of the woods is all but impossible right now... so I test drove a few of the cars on the lot that had Toyota's 3.5L V6... and decided that I liked the Highlander best.

The Highlander is nice- and sitting in it and driving it is kinda refreshing after five years of driving Accords. Before my 2016 Accord, I had been a very loyal Toyota owner... and getting into the Highlander brought back all of those memories because a lot of stuff hasn't changed. The sound of the turn signal clicking, the feel of the controls, and the isolation from road noise, for example.

I do have a garage- but my job requires me to drive and park all over the city- in lots of different neighborhoods... some good, some okay... some very sketchy. At home I always park in the garage though... and my neighborhood is generally not one where wheels are stolen... but it seems like thieves hit all sorts of neighborhoods to get wheels. I also have a really nice set of Samsung cameras that cover all four sides of my home and are clear enough to read a license plate of a car driving past in most situations.
Wow... yeah. Just saw some of your other for sale postings earlier today. I wonder if you had the same brake issue I had (weird noise / premature brake wear). If so, it likely would've worked if you asked the manager or if you bugged them long enough (like I did lol). It's quite a surprise since I thought you just got the Accord last year!? Anyways, Toyota is also a great brand and the highlander a great car! I'll probably be considering something like that when it's time to move on, but I'm a sedan guy at the moment and probably for the foreseeable future. I take you didn't check out the Pilot cuz you already have a Passport? 😅

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yeah, I pestered the service manager at two different dealerships about the brake issue and even showed them all of the online complaints about the issue- and they still refused to fix it. Brakes are covered for 12 months by Honda... and my 1 year anniversary is in about a week- so my guess is that they were just trying to run out the clock in the last month or two to avoid having to pay for the expense of replacing the brake components on Honda's dime. I first alerted them to the problem in late fall- when I first started hearing the noise. I had it at the dealership four or five time- and each time they claimed that it never made the noise for them- which is absolute BS. Anytime the car sat for more than a few hours and the outside temp was below maybe 40 it made the noise when back up when first started.

It's fine- I really like the Highlander and I was able to sell the Accord for more than what I paid for it last year. The only thing that stinks is that compared to my loaded Accord, my Highlander XLE seems a bit lacking in features. No heads up display, no wireless Carplay, no vented seats, and my fav feature on my Accord- a heated steering wheel- is not available on the trim level I purchased. You have to move up to a Highlander Limited for that- which I'm not a fan of... mainly because of its $50,000 price tag.

I didn't consider the Pilot at all. My wife has her Passport, and I've been less than thrilled with the reliability of her SUV. It's likely has more to do with the local Honda dealerships than the car itself. It seems like the local Honda dealers will do pretty much anything to avoid approving warranty repairs. They are giving me the same BS whenever I take her Passport in. I'm getting quite sick of it. Honda makes some great cars- but unless their dealerships will actually honor the warranty when things do go wrong.... Honda isn't going to get my business.
Yeah, absolutely. They tried something like that with me and told me it would’ve taken a long time to do that day, so I went back home the first time. The second time (or third), I went, it was already 16-17k. Same thing again until I asked for manager and was almost visibly upset. Then they finally agreed to do it on Honda’s dime. Luckily it’s been pretty good with me since. Don’t know if you tried it, but prior to this, I called all the way up to Acura HQ for an incident that I felt was ridiculous customer service right after I bought my car, so I’m guessing they may have known. It really shouldn’t have taken so much to get them to do the right thing, but it’s becoming more of a trend I think.

With that said, I can only imagine being treated that way after spending so much on two cars with them. Your dealers really should get their act together. Anyways, I’m happy that you got a lot for the trade in, and like we know, Toyota is a great company too. Enjoy the car and hopefully their customer service will be a lot better this time.

Motion alarm and request bright lighting in the parking area. They're going to lose many tenants if this problem persists.
Any recommendations on the motion alarm?

The management (at least the front desk personnel working that day) obviously already know about this, but given what I’ve experienced with regard to their parking lot towing policies, I doubt much would’ve been done. The lighting for the most part is actually good, just not so much where I parked and got my wheels stolen. I do believe there are cameras somewhere in the lot, but again just not where I parked, which was shocking when I found out.

Use this with a remote control?
:D(y)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Update: Car is in shop (finally...). and repair estimate has been issued.

Question: It seems that the shop (in this case of a dealership) is going to charge my insurance $340+ a wheel for an 19" aftermarket wheel...... Is this normal? Unless my dealer rep is quoting them ridiculous numbers for the factory wheels, why don't they just go for the factory 19" instead? It seems that the factory 19" is just a few dollars more than the quoted number. It doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts? What would you do?

Yes, I should ask them directly (and I will tomorrow), but I just saw the quote around 5PM today... nobody dealing with the case was available when I called. So.... any input from anyone who's been in similar situation would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Don’t let them try to pull a fast one on you saving them money. Insist and tell them you want OEM factory wheels. That is what was stolen and that is what you should be getting put on. This is not normal and your insurance is trying to be cheap.
Thanks! Yeah, i was thinking the same too. But I heard from my adjuster today that the dealer wants $600+ per wheel for the OEM factory wheels + tires which is too crazy according to the adjuster… I don’t disagree (but I’m more concerned with the fact that they’ll likely jack my rates way up if this goes through), so I offered the solution of used but in great shape factory 19’s, which was a possibility and also a brand new factory smaller factory wheel, which was declined. It does sound like they’re trying to be cheap, but then $600 per wheel does sound a bit steep.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Unless they tow the car they're not getting your rims with these locks!
гiмgaгd шнeel Lock - Supeгioг шнeel security
Thanks! Yep, I was thinking the same along with one other idea mentioned previously in the thread.

The concern I have with rimguard is their claim on aftermarket wheels. Ie. They seem to work only for OEM rims… and my adjuster told me they couldn’t find any used factory wheels (yeah…), and it’s looking like they’re going to move forward with aftermarket replicas… which I reluctantly agreed.

I like Rimguard enough and given my parking situation, it makes sense if I could get factory replacement. But I don’t want to drop $349 only to find out they’re not compatible…

This whole thing has been a disaster lol 😂

Reactions: Carloscda37

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
For sure, it really sucks to have to replace stolen OEM's with aftermarket replicas... but on the bright side, your car will have wheels again!

Potentially helpful tidbit: I occasionally come across OEM 10th gen Accord wheels for sale on a site called OfferUp, last one I saw was a complete set of 4 for $800. They usually have a few visible scuffs/scrapes, but you could have them refinished.
Thanks for your input! I’ve actually found like 3 good factory sets from reputable eBay dealers too, but when I brought it up, the adjuster said, “nah, we don’t use eBay…” My face dropped as soon as I heard that. I don’t care about scrapes or scuffs as long as the wheels aren’t damaged in any other way (I had scraped my wheels like 3 times, once going thru McDonalds drive thru lol), I just hope that they’re going to find an oem set before all is set and done.

Didn't you say that you are leasing your Accord? I'm not an expert on leasing- but isn't one of the requirements that you keep your car stock? Why does that dealership think that it's acceptable to put aftermarket wheels on your leased car?

Is this an aftermarket copy of Honda's design? Is this the dealership that you bought it from and will be returning that car to if you choose to to turn it back in when the lease is up? Is that dealership going to look the other way when you turn that car in and it has aftermarket wheels instead of the OEM ones?

If it were my car- regardless of if you plan on turning it in at the end of the lease or if you plan on buying it... I'd insist on OEM
Yep, you’re right. It’s currently leased. I took advantage of a very good lease rate just a couple of years ago on top of a great discount on the car I got. I believe the dealer is actually insisting on new OEM factory wheels, but they are also insisting on charging my insurance big $$$ (600$ per wheel, only the wheel), and my insurance is insisting on NOT paying for that (they have a BS policy that OEM parts only for 12 month or newer cars, sounds like BS, but that’s what I was told). The strange part was when I said I could settle for OEM 17’s that would cost the same or less, he refused…. Frankly, I think both sides are BSing me, to put it politely.

The replicas are, as I was told, “exactly the same” design as OEM, what I worry about is the quality. I had every intention to keep the car after the lease (still do), but you’re right. I should probably insist on OEM only, new or used.

It looks like I may need to make a call to American Honda and Progressive HQ and turn up the heat lol

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
1. What does your lease contract say?
2. What does your insurance policy say?

It shouldn't be too hard for your insurance company to source used OEM wheels. I know that Touring models aren't nearly as common as Sport models... but there should be some Touring wheels sitting on wrecked Accords in a junk yard somewhere. Sadly, your insurance policy might dictate your options. I'd get out a magnifying glass and start looking at the fine print in your insurance policy. It might be useful to search the laws in your state to see if there's language that dictates when an insurer has to use OEM parts.

I'd pressure them to work something out so that you get an OEM set of Touring wheels, even if they are used. How much you want to pressure them for that will depend on what you plan on doing with your Accord once the lease is up which should be soon, right? (Depending on when your 2020 lease started)

Aftermarket imitations are cheaper for a reason. It might not be apparent right away- but my guess is that after a few years they will wear a lot worse than OEM wheels, especially if you drive somewhere that salts the roads in winter.

Since it is a leased vehicle and Honda might reject the use of aftermarket wheels when the car is turned back in- that might provide some leverage for your insurance company... but again- that will depend on the specific wording in your policy.
It shouldn’t be hard to find at all. But if the words my adjuster told me were true (that only cars 12 month or newer get oem parts), then there’s not much else I can do. What I don’t get is I’d already let them know places where they can get a set for less than the new replicas, but they still refused to go with it…

I still have 1.5 year to go. But like I said, I am planning to buy it out either way. The thing is, like you mentioned, I’ll still likely need to replace them with oem wheels before trading it after buying it out. If I keep the car, and the replicas don’t hold up nearly as well as expected, then I’ll need to replace the set on my own anyways. Either way, I’m out my deductible and the cost of a set of oem wheels at some point down the road, if they insist on going with aftermarket.

Regardless, I’ll try to find the contract and talk with them one more time before I’ll speak with their supervisors 😁

Reactions: RCarlL

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Maybe you can ask them to just write you a check then for whatever they were planning on paying out.

When a piece of concrete fell on the hood of my 2016 Accord, I took it to a body shop that I really liked- but wasn't an "approved" shop through State Farm. When you choose a non-approved shop with State Farm, they send an adjuster out to inspect the damage then write you a check so that you can take it to the non-approved shop. The only negative is that if the repair turns out to cost more than what the check was written for- the owner is on the hook for the difference.

I wonder if Progressive has a similar policy. If they do, you could take the money and then buy whatever wheels and tires that you'd like.
I’m not 100% sure, but it sounds similar to my policy. In my case, the dealer in question isn’t an approved shop (isn’t in their network), so the adjuster was there to keep things in check. My previous insurance was like you described. But as far as I understand, the difference here with my current insurance is, as the adjuster told me, they’ll be paying the dealer directly (no check written to me), and I’ll be paying the deductible to the dealer separately. However, they’ll work with me if I’ve got other ideas as long as it’s within their budget… anything I want that exceed it, I’ll pay for the difference (which I probably will need to for the tires since they’re quoting me some crappy tires)… which doesn’t make sense in a way because he also told me they can’t find used oem wheels and for whatever reasons (I think it was fitment issues for my car lol), they can’t do 17’s… both of which are within the budget. I might ask again though. The worst I can get is no.

It's like they're not even trying

Thank you thank you!!! 🫣🥹😭
I’m going to show my adjuster this site, hope he doesn’t make up another reason to deny it. This is very helpful.

Do not agree to replica wheels. There are posts on other sites about replica wheels cracking when hitting potholes.

I cannot find the video now but at one time Honda themselves published a video test showing how original wheels have strength requirements for curbs and potholes, which obviously original wheels pass, but replicas sometimes do not.
Thanks for the input! I’ve had my doubts as well, but I’ve never had any replicas and my insurance adjuster said they “never” had any issues, so I wasn’t sure what to make of it. But yeah, I do remember reading a discussion somewhere online a long time ago and the overall perception about them is negative. Thanks for reminding me to stay clear of them if possible. 🙏

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Replace your wheels with OEMs and consider getting гiмgaгd шнeel Lock - шнeel security or Advanced Wheel Locks Advanced Wheel Locks – The Ultimate Wheel Locks

You'll just need to hope he mofos don't just steal your car out of spite during any future attempt to steal your wheels :ROFLMAO:
Yep thanks. гiмgaгd and Advanced Wheel locks were two of the front running deterrents I was considering in the thread, but now that my adjuster has told me they’ve decided to move forward with the aftermarket replicas… (after I told them about places to get them used OEM wheels…), I’ll just wait and see what happens. Maybe a $20 set of gorilla locks? I heard they’re good.

Oh, and I’ve lowered my deductible. So if the thieves want my wheels again, so be it. 😀 Good luck with the replicas! 😂

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
If price is the issue on the replacement, why couldn’t they just put cheap OEM wheels from an LX on it with plastic wheel covers? Seems like the insurance policy is as long as it rolls and is cheap, it’s good. Or maybe some cheaper Toyota or Mazda alloy wheels that fit? Same logic they are using to justify the knock off wheels apply to these stupid ideas.

I recall back in ‘94 the SR5 alloy wheels for a 4Runner or pickup were $500 each from Toyota, 15 inch wheels! That’s $975 today, so $600 per wheel actually seems reasonable for a fancy OEM alloy wheel.
Agreed. I believe the reason (at least the line I was fed) was that my car is “too old” to get OEM parts as replacement, unless I wanted to pay out of pocket for the difference. what I didn’t get was not getting approved initially for even suggesting used OEM wheels, which I was willing to settle with and they were quite a bit cheaper than new replicas.

With that being said, things took a dramatic turn for the better. I don’t know exactly what happened, but my dealer service advisor told me that the car was ready and my insurance finally agreed to paying full price for BRAND NEW OEM wheels when I went to pick up a few items I forgot in the car. The whole process took a bit more back and forth than expected, but I’m very pleased with the way that Progressive Insurance came through for me at the end. And also my service advisor / dealership for the fantastic job negotiating with them lol

I’ve just bought a set of гiмgaгd wheel lock. Will look into wheel clamp or quality motion sensors for extra safety measures.

Will snap a few pics tomorrow of the car with the wheels tomorrow.

Thank you all for the helpful replies and suggestions! I truly appreciate them! :)

Reactions: outersquare

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Glad you FINALLY got your OEM wheels approved, but there is one thing I would never do... send any accolades to Progressive. They dickered around with your car for over 3 weeks for wheels and tires? If I was in the same boat and my insurance did that to me, I would find another insurance company. Just curious, why the 3+ weeks? Was there any other damage that made it take that long? I would have sprung for the wheels/tires out of pocket and let insurance catch up just so I could have a car to drive. I know not everyone has that cash lying around, but seriously, 25 days to get wheels and tires? Still scratching my head on that timeframe.
yeah I know. They definitely took their time. As far as for why it took so long? From my perspective, there were a few reasons (kinda a long story, but since you asked):
1) The tow truck company towed the car but wouldn’t release the car (held my car as collateral at their storage). Somebody at Progressive / the “vendor” they were working with dropped the ball in making the payment to the tow truck company on time. Although I realized why after my claims rep at Progressive told me the sum that the vendor / tow truck company was charging.
2) Unfortunately, my claims rep didn’t seem to care the time it took to pay the tow truck company when I called her. Told me taking up to one week while having my car parked at the tow truck’s storage was normal - this was highly unusual to me and absolutely pissed me off. I also left unfavorable feedback which probably caused a bit further delay.
3) The negotiation process among the dealership service advisor, my insurance adjuster and myself like previously mentioned in my posts.
4) The wait for the replica wheels after final agreement… although I’m not sure what happened that eventually made the adjuster agreed to approve the new OEM wheels at the end.

As far as other damage, there’s none as far as I know after looking at the final work order. Paying $1,200 cash wasn’t an issue, I can comfortably swing that amount if necessary or put it on cc, but it would go against my principles 1) I’m already paying good money for my insurance policy, I expect to be taken care of fairly. 2) I’m not too big on wheels. I do want ones that at least look decent and are good quality, other than that I don’t really care too much. Paying $300 plus what the insurance already agreed to (at that point) PER wheel didn’t make sense to me. At the end, I’m not faulting Progressive for the long wait too much because although somebody screwed up at first, the adjuster seemingly at least tried to do (at least given their policy on OEM parts) his part to solve the issue in a reasonable manner. Of course, what ended up happening at the end was not only unexpected, but definitely made the wait well worth it. If it didn’t turn out that way, then yes, I’d highly consider switching company.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Some pics. Le Accord is back!!!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Our car carriers have solid rubber spare sets of tires with multi wheel lug holes that will fit many different car models The rims are bright orange so you can tell they are not regular rims Usually the the thieves leave the cars on milk crates If not we jack them up and install the tires so that no further damage is done to the vehicles Then we tow them to either the dealer or a tire shop where they get new rims and tires
Those were the wheels that they used to tow my car with.

Just curious, what is the typical up charge to tow car without wheels (hav wheels &tires stolen) vs. towing cars with them if you don’t mind sharing?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Usually an extra $35.00 a wheel plus the tow
I see. That makes a lot of sense.

It sounds like my insurance company got hosed on that one lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts