Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Going back to the original subject of theft prevention. In my opinion, theft is not the problem, it is the symptom. The problem is the perception that crime does pay. I call it perception, you can call it truth.

As long as the value of a hot set of wheels is greater than the risk of getting caught multiplied by the cost of getting caught, it is a lucrative endeavor, end of. There are career criminals with hundred+ arrests on their record walking on the streets. Send a thank you letter to your local representative and your favorite policy maker for making this possible.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
How many guys would be able to do that ?
Depends on the lock. He's very sharp at discovering easy to exploit weaknesses in locks. Sometimes just a tensioning tool and a few rake passes. Sometimes just the rake.

An example is MasterLock steering wheel locks. VERY ROBUST. But the lock is defeated in 10 seconds with a cheap rake tool that you could make in your shop in about 20 minutes. (Or purchase online).

To be fair, today he reviewed an ABUS padlock that took him (with a specially designed lock picking tool that he and another lock-picking hobbyist designed) well over a minute to get picked in easy conditions.

The question is: what does Rimgard use? I'd hate to spend that much cash to find it's an easy to pick lock.

A friend asked me: "Why are these Cessna cargo doors using such cheap locks?"

I replied: "Because they don't make them any cheaper."

$300,000+ airplane mind you.

Reactions: hawk51 and emeron

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
557 Posts
I’ve been keeping $50 deductible for comprehensive coverage which I believe cover theft and vandalism. There’s really not much price delta from $500 to $50, yet you’re protected from such situations.

In the future, I honestly don’t know your choices. Maybe buy a set of aftermarket wheels? For the same price as OEM you can potentially go for forged ones (I see $400-ish for 18” forged at Costco, which is not much more expensive than OEM 19”).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I haven't heard about them, but I will check them out for sure. Thanks!

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this. Get five different sets of wheel locks. Sure, thieves can hammer on a socket to force them off, but it's loud and now you've 5X'd the time and noise they have to make. Even Eric the car guy was struggling.
Theoretically, yes, sure. But having five different sets of wheel locks does have a drawback, like what if I lose one of the keys? lol. Also, I'm pretty sure it's going to take considerably longer doing tire rotations or anytime wheels need to be taken off. It's an interesting idea though.
Doesn't make sense. Are you sure you weren't targeted? Did you piss someone off in your apartment complex?

Why steal your wheels and tires when that Tacoma is in the background. I bet his wheels and tires are worth more. Easier to get to as well. In my experience, there's always more to the story than what is said. Maybe, I'm wrong? Maybe this incident was one of the rare non-targeted incidents.

Try parking under a well lit parking spot. Aim for a spot with a lot of foot traffic as well. Front of the building near the entrance is always better than the back.
Actually, I don't really recall that I pissed off anyone. Other than the management and the mailman/woman, I don't typically interact with people i don't know in the building. The only exception is elderly people. I do say hello to them when I see them because that's how I was brought up. Just basic manners. Of course, when someone asks me a question or asks for help, I'd tend to respond to respond in a positive manner too. But you're right, I may have unknowingly pissed off someone with the way I drive (let's just say, sometimes I drive a bit fast lol), but I don't do any jerk moves like brake-checking / deliberately cutting people off etc. So it's a possibility, but not likely.

You are not wrong in that there are certainly better cars / more expensive cars out here in the complex, so besides being shocked, I was also quite puzzled. It's not like the '20 Accord wheels in used condition are worth that much anymore. It is weird.

Going back to the original subject of theft prevention. In my opinion, theft is not the problem, it is the symptom. The problem is the perception that crime does pay. I call it perception, you can call it truth.

As long as the value of a hot set of wheels is greater than the risk of getting caught multiplied by the cost of getting caught, it is a lucrative endeavor, end of. There are career criminals with hundred+ arrests on their record walking on the streets. Send a thank you letter to your local representative and your favorite policy maker for making this possible.
Yeah, it's kind of shame. It does seem that the easier people are getting away with it, the more likely they are going to continue / repeat the same bad behavior.

Are you sure they didn't do anything else? Did you start it up? Is the catalytic converter still there?
Good question. That's what I'm wondering. No, I haven't started up yet, but I thought the car looked fine after a quick visual inspection right after I found out about the incident. Of course, I'll know more for sure once the car goes into the shop.
I’ve been keeping $50 deductible for comprehensive coverage which I believe cover theft and vandalism. There’s really not much price delta from $500 to $50, yet you’re protected from such situations.

In the future, I honestly don’t know your choices. Maybe buy a set of aftermarket wheels? For the same price as OEM you can potentially go for forged ones (I see $400-ish for 18” forged at Costco, which is not much more expensive than OEM 19”).
Yep, lowering the deductible for my next insurance bill is absolutely something I'll be looking to do next.

I am not too big on wheels, actually. It's more the feeling of getting robbed (essentially) that upset me and concerns of having to deal with the same BS again. I'll have the same concerns with a nice set of aftermarket wheels.... unless you're talking about cheap stuff, which I probably wouldn't be interested either in the first place.

Anyways, I had thought about moving before this happened for a different reason, it looks like a done deal after this. It's a shame, the apartment itself is quite nice, and the management team is fairly pleasant to deal with for the most part. I do need to think creatively to protect my wheels or move the car away for the time being before my lease term is up though.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I personally prefer solutions that don't involve insurance claims.
While that's certainly fine... I'm not sure why when it's a comprehensive claim. I've filed a few comprehensive claims in the past few years and my rates have never gone up. I've never lost my 'accident-free' discount. I've always called my agent first and asked him - is this claim going to raise my rates? His answer regarding comprehensive claims has always been 'no'.

I submitted a $1600 claim for a new hood for my 2016 Accord a few years ago after a piece of the concrete overhang of a building fell on it. My insurance company covered it- and apparently never got a dime from the group that owned the building.

My wife hit a deer a few months ago with her Passport. So far the tab is about $4200... but it might go up because some internal parts are on backorder- a wiring harness and some clips.

Heck- my rates didn't even go up after my 2016 Accord was totaled by someone who ran a red light and didn't have insurance. My insurance company paid out a very nice settlement check- and my rate didn't go up a dime. They never collected a cent from the guy without insurance.

Neither has raised my rates. Maybe it's different in your state or with your insurance company... but if there's no fault assigned to comprehensive claims... I'm not sure why someone would avoid going through insurance...?

On an unrelated note, I was very surprised to find out that my new 2022 Highlander is almost $20/month cheaper to insure compared to my 2021 Accord Touring. My agent said that the claim rate for Accords is much higher than the Highlander.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That sucks.
How about a dash cam with parking sensor and phone alert? Like a Blackvue or Thinkware model.
Aren't dash cams activated with motion or impact? I doubt stealing rims would cause the camera to turn on. Also, cameras are pointing forward and back, can't see anything to the side where the wheels are.

·
07 Sdn
414 Posts
Aren't dash cams activated with motion or impact? I doubt stealing rims would cause the camera to turn on. Also, cameras are pointing forward and back, can't see anything to the side where the wheels are.
Those things were dropped on bricks. I dont think any of that was quietly or carefully done. Also they have to get around from one side of the car to the other to get all four rims. My dashcam has a wide angle lens, anybody near the front fenders is easily picked up :)
Im not saying he should put himself at risk by confronting them but at least you'll have something for the cops, sometimes you can spot the thieves in the footage doing a drive by too, ive seen that happen.

·
VCM DELETE
1,053 Posts
You have to realize that ppl doing this are just your typical loosers who dont want to get a job, stay up all night smoking meth/crack whatever they do...then go out and get your wheels and put them on Marketplace or Craigslist for a quick 600-800$ and that will keep them high another 2-3 day until there next wheel take.

If it were me, Id get some cheap, ugly wheels. Dont renew your lease, and next place get a garage. Really the cheap ugly steel wheels noone will take and will give you time to find new ones (and a new place)

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Can't prevent it..all you can do is slow them down, and/or they give up.
They operate in gangs and I've seen boulders, milk crates, bricks, etc.. underneath cars, afterward...two jack up the front, two on the back and two guys start taking the wheels off...they're outta there in 5-10 minutes, sometimes sooner.

One thing my '14 EX-L has going for it, is undesirable wheels..and that's the way it's staying.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts