Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is 4 or 5 block long street in my area that had three 10gen Accord Toruings on blocks within few days of each other. All had the same rims. One took to long on getting new rims, so someone took the cats.

I just never understood why they are so popular.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I work for a garage that tows for a Honda dealer Some weeks we tow in 6 to 8 Hondas with all 4 wheels stolen Also lately we have been towing in 2 Hondas a week for stolen catalytic converters .Two months ago we went to tow 3 Hondas from a condo complex and there were numerous other car carriers there when we arrived Talking to a cop I found out that that complex had 42 cars hit that night either tires and wheels or catalytic converters .Some cars because of age and mileage just having the cat stolen causes the insurance company to total the vehicle Honda wheels and cats are expensive and there is a large black market for them

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
On an unrelated note, I was very surprised to find out that my new 2022 Highlander is almost $20/month cheaper to insure compared to my 2021 Accord Touring. My agent said that the claim rate for Accords is much higher than the Highlander.
Woah woah woah! So you traded in your Accord for the Highlander? Or is that your 3rd car in the household? If my memory is correct, don't you have a garage? I wouldn't worry about it at all if I had a garage.

You have to realize that ppl doing this are just your typical loosers who dont want to get a job, stay up all night smoking meth/crack whatever they do...then go out and get your wheels and put them on Marketplace or Craigslist for a quick 600-800$ and that will keep them high another 2-3 day until there next wheel take.

If it were me, Id get some cheap, ugly wheels. Dont renew your lease, and next place get a garage. Really the cheap ugly steel wheels noone will take and will give you time to find new ones (and a new place)
Yep, that's the plan. I might not get cheap, ugly wheels, but I'm seriously considering downsizing to something like 17's or 16's. I just need to make sure insurance isn't going to play games with me by giving me some crappy small wheels when I'm actually saving them money (going from 19's to 17's).

I've already call and reported to the police, but I don't have high hopes as I'm still waiting for a call back for a "formal report" with an officer. Seems like this sorta event is happening often around here...

Can't prevent it..all you can do is slow them down, and/or they give up.
They operate in gangs and I've seen boulders, milk crates, bricks, etc.. underneath cars, afterward...two jack up the front, two on the back and two guys start taking the wheels off...they're outta there in 5-10 minutes, sometimes sooner.

One thing my '14 EX-L has going for it, is undesirable wheels..and that's the way it's staying.
Right. I had my '14 for a few years too. Drove to many places on the east coast - 60k over 2.5 years. Never been targeted in that car. Never a major issue other than a couple hiccups and crappy stock battery. Granted, the first year I had my car, I was in an apartment with 24 hr camera surveillance and an indoor garage.... I went cheap this time and now this happens...

Yeah, I'm all for holding people accountable, but that message seems a bit excessive.

I just want the selfish bastard to know, what if someone else does the same crap to them? How would that make them feel?

Other than that, no hard feelings lol
There is 4 or 5 block long street in my area that had three 10gen Accord Toruings on blocks within few days of each other. All had the same rims. One took to long on getting new rims, so someone took the cats.

I just never understood why they are so popular.
As much as I've liked their look, I actually thought the Sport wheel was looker and the only Accord wheel getting all the attention.... I even gave up my brief idea of getting the Sport due to this reason (and for the discount on the Touring too, of course)... little did I know lol. Much ado about nothing sigh...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I work for a garage that tows for a Honda dealer Some weeks we tow in 6 to 8 Hondas with all 4 wheels stolen Also lately we have been towing in 2 Hondas a week for stolen catalytic converters .Two months ago we went to tow 3 Hondas from a condo complex and there were numerous other car carriers there when we arrived Talking to a cop I found out that that complex had 42 cars hit that night either tires and wheels or catalytic converters .Some cars because of age and mileage just having the cat stolen causes the insurance company to total the vehicle Honda wheels and cats are expensive and there is a large black market for them
As much as I love my Honda, your post made me want to trade in my car now lol

God, why do people have to be like this?

This is sickening.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Woah woah woah! So you traded in your Accord for the Highlander? Or is that your 3rd car in the household? If my memory is correct, don't you have a garage? I wouldn't worry about it at all if I had a garage.
Yep- I got rid of the Accord last week because I was getting really upset that my local Honda dealers were refusing to fix a really annoying brake issue. I actually pulled into the local Toyota dealership because they had a Camry XSE V6 on the lot that was in the front row- so I figured that it was available. It had already been sold... along with all other Camrys on the lot. (The dealership still has the thing parked in the front row- seven days later. I'm not sure why it hasn't been picked up). Getting a V6 Camry in my neck of the woods is all but impossible right now... so I test drove a few of the cars on the lot that had Toyota's 3.5L V6... and decided that I liked the Highlander best.

The Highlander is nice- and sitting in it and driving it is kinda refreshing after five years of driving Accords. Before my 2016 Accord, I had been a very loyal Toyota owner... and getting into the Highlander brought back all of those memories because a lot of stuff hasn't changed. The sound of the turn signal clicking, the feel of the controls, and the isolation from road noise, for example.

I do have a garage- but my job requires me to drive and park all over the city- in lots of different neighborhoods... some good, some okay... some very sketchy. At home I always park in the garage though... and my neighborhood is generally not one where wheels are stolen... but it seems like thieves hit all sorts of neighborhoods to get wheels. I also have a really nice set of Samsung cameras that cover all four sides of my home and are clear enough to read a license plate of a car driving past in most situations.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just when I thought my 19’s were no longer hot…

Well, the pictures speak for themselves. My question is, how do I prevent lowlifes from doing this to my car again? No, I can’t just leave my place for somewhere with a garage / camera now. I’m under contract for my current lease. I still have four months to go. Any ideas?

View attachment 540242 View attachment 540243
Alarm and wheel locks work.

Yep- I got rid of the Accord last week because I was getting really upset that my local Honda dealers were refusing to fix a really annoying brake issue. I actually pulled into the local Toyota dealership because they had a Camry XSE V6 on the lot that was in the front row- so I figured that it was available. It had already been sold... along with all other Camrys on the lot. (The dealership still has the thing parked in the front row- seven days later. I'm not sure why it hasn't been picked up). Getting a V6 Camry in my neck of the woods is all but impossible right now... so I test drove a few of the cars on the lot that had Toyota's 3.5L V6... and decided that I liked the Highlander best.

The Highlander is nice- and sitting in it and driving it is kinda refreshing after five years of driving Accords. Before my 2016 Accord, I had been a very loyal Toyota owner... and getting into the Highlander brought back all of those memories because a lot of stuff hasn't changed. The sound of the turn signal clicking, the feel of the controls, and the isolation from road noise, for example.

I do have a garage- but my job requires me to drive and park all over the city- in lots of different neighborhoods... some good, some okay... some very sketchy. At home I always park in the garage though... and my neighborhood is generally not one where wheels are stolen... but it seems like thieves hit all sorts of neighborhoods to get wheels. I also have a really nice set of Samsung cameras that cover all four sides of my home and are clear enough to read a license plate of a car driving past in most situations.
Dealers here do that just to get you in and upscale you to a more expensive car.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Wow... yeah. Just saw some of your other for sale postings earlier today. I wonder if you had the same brake issue I had (weird noise / premature brake wear). If so, it likely would've worked if you asked the manager or if you bugged them long enough (like I did lol). It's quite a surprise since I thought you just got the Accord last year!? Anyways, Toyota is also a great brand and the highlander a great car! I'll probably be considering something like that when it's time to move on, but I'm a sedan guy at the moment and probably for the foreseeable future. I take you didn't check out the Pilot cuz you already have a Passport? 😅

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just when I thought my 19’s were no longer hot…

Well, the pictures speak for themselves. My question is, how do I prevent lowlifes from doing this to my car again? No, I can’t just leave my place for somewhere with a garage / camera now. I’m under contract for my current lease. I still have four months to go. Any ideas?

View attachment 540242 View attachment 540243

Use this with a remote control?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Wow... yeah. Just saw some of your other for sale postings earlier today. I wonder if you had the same brake issue I had (weird noise / premature brake wear). If so, it likely would've worked if you asked the manager or if you bugged them long enough (like I did lol). It's quite a surprise since I thought you just got the Accord last year!? Anyways, Toyota is also a great brand and the highlander a great car! I'll probably be considering something like that when it's time to move on, but I'm a sedan guy at the moment and probably for the foreseeable future. I take you didn't check out the Pilot cuz you already have a Passport? 😅
Yeah, I pestered the service manager at two different dealerships about the brake issue and even showed them all of the online complaints about the issue- and they still refused to fix it. Brakes are covered for 12 months by Honda... and my 1 year anniversary is in about a week- so my guess is that they were just trying to run out the clock in the last month or two to avoid having to pay for the expense of replacing the brake components on Honda's dime. I first alerted them to the problem in late fall- when I first started hearing the noise. I had it at the dealership four or five time- and each time they claimed that it never made the noise for them- which is absolute BS. Anytime the car sat for more than a few hours and the outside temp was below maybe 40 it made the noise when back up when first started.

It's fine- I really like the Highlander and I was able to sell the Accord for more than what I paid for it last year. The only thing that stinks is that compared to my loaded Accord, my Highlander XLE seems a bit lacking in features. No heads up display, no wireless Carplay, no vented seats, and my fav feature on my Accord- a heated steering wheel- is not available on the trim level I purchased. You have to move up to a Highlander Limited for that- which I'm not a fan of... mainly because of its $50,000 price tag.

I didn't consider the Pilot at all. My wife has her Passport, and I've been less than thrilled with the reliability of her SUV. It's likely has more to do with the local Honda dealerships than the car itself. It seems like the local Honda dealers will do pretty much anything to avoid approving warranty repairs. They are giving me the same BS whenever I take her Passport in. I'm getting quite sick of it. Honda makes some great cars- but unless their dealerships will actually honor the warranty when things do go wrong.... Honda isn't going to get my business.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, I pestered the service manager at two different dealerships about the brake issue and even showed them all of the online complaints about the issue- and they still refused to fix it. Brakes are covered for 12 months by Honda... and my 1 year anniversary is in about a week- so my guess is that they were just trying to run out the clock in the last month or two to avoid having to pay for the expense of replacing the brake components on Honda's dime. I first alerted them to the problem in late fall- when I first started hearing the noise. I had it at the dealership four or five time- and each time they claimed that it never made the noise for them- which is absolute BS. Anytime the car sat for more than a few hours and the outside temp was below maybe 40 it made the noise when back up when first started.

It's fine- I really like the Highlander and I was able to sell the Accord for more than what I paid for it last year. The only thing that stinks is that compared to my loaded Accord, my Highlander XLE seems a bit lacking in features. No heads up display, no wireless Carplay, no vented seats, and my fav feature on my Accord- a heated steering wheel- is not available on the trim level I purchased. You have to move up to a Highlander Limited for that- which I'm not a fan of... mainly because of its $50,000 price tag.

I didn't consider the Pilot at all. My wife has her Passport, and I've been less than thrilled with the reliability of her SUV. It's likely has more to do with the local Honda dealerships than the car itself. It seems like the local Honda dealers will do pretty much anything to avoid approving warranty repairs. They are giving me the same BS whenever I take her Passport in. I'm getting quite sick of it. Honda makes some great cars- but unless their dealerships will actually honor the warranty when things do go wrong.... Honda isn't going to get my business.
Did those two Honda dealerships have different owners? I've seen Honda dealerships owned by one company and different management but the same polices.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Did those two Honda dealerships have different owners? I've seen Honda dealerships owned by one company and different management but the same polices.
No, they were owned by different groups/people. Unfortunately they are all part of the same 'professional' organization or club that develops policies that all new car dealers in my neck of the woods seem to follow.... but I can't help wonder if this has more to do with Honda's relationship with their dealerships. I've owned a few Toyotas and I have never had an issue with getting a warranty repair when they were needed, which isn't often... including at a Toyota dealership that's owned by the same group/person that runs the Honda dealership where I got my last Accord.

That Toyota dealership has always provided me with excellent service regardless of if it was in the showroom or service bay. Local Honda dealers seem to have good sales departments... but their service departments are lacking in customer service... even when it comes to installing accessories when the car is brand new... which is why I try to do it myself whenever possible with my Hondas. I have no issue letting my local Toyota dealer install accessories- mainly because they've never screwed anything up... they don't charge for install like the local Honda dealers do... and they get it done quickly.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

Yeah, absolutely. They tried something like that with me and told me it would’ve taken a long time to do that day, so I went back home the first time. The second time (or third), I went, it was already 16-17k. Same thing again until I asked for manager and was almost visibly upset. Then they finally agreed to do it on Honda’s dime. Luckily it’s been pretty good with me since. Don’t know if you tried it, but prior to this, I called all the way up to Acura HQ for an incident that I felt was ridiculous customer service right after I bought my car, so I’m guessing they may have known. It really shouldn’t have taken so much to get them to do the right thing, but it’s becoming more of a trend I think.

With that said, I can only imagine being treated that way after spending so much on two cars with them. Your dealers really should get their act together. Anyways, I’m happy that you got a lot for the trade in, and like we know, Toyota is a great company too. Enjoy the car and hopefully their customer service will be a lot better this time.

Motion alarm and request bright lighting in the parking area. They're going to lose many tenants if this problem persists.
Any recommendations on the motion alarm?

The management (at least the front desk personnel working that day) obviously already know about this, but given what I’ve experienced with regard to their parking lot towing policies, I doubt much would’ve been done. The lighting for the most part is actually good, just not so much where I parked and got my wheels stolen. I do believe there are cameras somewhere in the lot, but again just not where I parked, which was shocking when I found out.

Use this with a remote control?
:D(y)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Update: Car is in shop (finally...). and repair estimate has been issued.

Question: It seems that the shop (in this case of a dealership) is going to charge my insurance $340+ a wheel for an 19" aftermarket wheel...... Is this normal? Unless my dealer rep is quoting them ridiculous numbers for the factory wheels, why don't they just go for the factory 19" instead? It seems that the factory 19" is just a few dollars more than the quoted number. It doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts? What would you do?

Yes, I should ask them directly (and I will tomorrow), but I just saw the quote around 5PM today... nobody dealing with the case was available when I called. So.... any input from anyone who's been in similar situation would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
249 Posts
Update: Car is in shop (finally...). and repair estimate has been issued.

Question: It seems that the shop (in this case of a dealership) is going to charge my insurance $340+ a wheel for an 19" aftermarket wheel...... Is this normal? Unless my dealer rep is quoting them ridiculous numbers for the factory wheels, why don't they just go for the factory 19" instead? It seems that the factory 19" is just a few dollars more than the quoted number. It doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts? What would you do?

Yes, I should ask them directly (and I will tomorrow), but I just saw the quote around 5PM today... nobody dealing with the case was available when I called. So.... any input from anyone who's been in similar situation would be very helpful.
Don’t let them try to pull a fast one on you saving them money. Insist and tell them you want OEM factory wheels. That is what was stolen and that is what you should be getting put on. This is not normal and your insurance is trying to be cheap.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Don’t let them try to pull a fast one on you saving them money. Insist and tell them you want OEM factory wheels. That is what was stolen and that is what you should be getting put on. This is not normal and your insurance is trying to be cheap.
Thanks! Yeah, i was thinking the same too. But I heard from my adjuster today that the dealer wants $600+ per wheel for the OEM factory wheels + tires which is too crazy according to the adjuster… I don’t disagree (but I’m more concerned with the fact that they’ll likely jack my rates way up if this goes through), so I offered the solution of used but in great shape factory 19’s, which was a possibility and also a brand new factory smaller factory wheel, which was declined. It does sound like they’re trying to be cheap, but then $600 per wheel does sound a bit steep.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Unless they tow the car they're not getting your rims with these locks!
гiмgaгd шнeel Lock - Supeгioг шнeel security
Thanks! Yep, I was thinking the same along with one other idea mentioned previously in the thread.

The concern I have with rimguard is their claim on aftermarket wheels. Ie. They seem to work only for OEM rims… and my adjuster told me they couldn’t find any used factory wheels (yeah…), and it’s looking like they’re going to move forward with aftermarket replicas… which I reluctantly agreed.

I like Rimguard enough and given my parking situation, it makes sense if I could get factory replacement. But I don’t want to drop $349 only to find out they’re not compatible…

This whole thing has been a disaster lol 😂

Reactions: Carloscda37
41 - 60 of 69 Posts