Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,372 Posts
it’s looking like they’re going to move forward with aftermarket replicas… which I reluctantly agreed.
For sure, it really sucks to have to replace stolen OEM's with aftermarket replicas... but on the bright side, your car will have wheels again!

Potentially helpful tidbit: I occasionally come across OEM 10th gen Accord wheels for sale on a site called OfferUp, last one I saw was a complete set of 4 for $800. They usually have a few visible scuffs/scrapes, but you could have them refinished.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Update: Car is in shop (finally...). and repair estimate has been issued.

Question: It seems that the shop (in this case of a dealership) is going to charge my insurance $340+ a wheel for an 19" aftermarket wheel...... Is this normal? Unless my dealer rep is quoting them ridiculous numbers for the factory wheels, why don't they just go for the factory 19" instead? It seems that the factory 19" is just a few dollars more than the quoted number. It doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts? What would you do?

Yes, I should ask them directly (and I will tomorrow), but I just saw the quote around 5PM today... nobody dealing with the case was available when I called. So.... any input from anyone who's been in similar situation would be very helpful.
I do need to think creatively to protect my wheels or move the car away for the time being before my lease term is up though.
Didn't you say that you are leasing your Accord? I'm not an expert on leasing- but isn't one of the requirements that you keep your car stock? Why does that dealership think that it's acceptable to put aftermarket wheels on your leased car?

Is this an aftermarket copy of Honda's design? Is this the dealership that you bought it from and will be returning that car to if you choose to to turn it back in when the lease is up? Is that dealership going to look the other way when you turn that car in and it has aftermarket wheels instead of the OEM ones?

If it were my car- regardless of if you plan on turning it in at the end of the lease or if you plan on buying it... I'd insist on OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
For sure, it really sucks to have to replace stolen OEM's with aftermarket replicas... but on the bright side, your car will have wheels again!

Potentially helpful tidbit: I occasionally come across OEM 10th gen Accord wheels for sale on a site called OfferUp, last one I saw was a complete set of 4 for $800. They usually have a few visible scuffs/scrapes, but you could have them refinished.
Thanks for your input! I’ve actually found like 3 good factory sets from reputable eBay dealers too, but when I brought it up, the adjuster said, “nah, we don’t use eBay…” My face dropped as soon as I heard that. I don’t care about scrapes or scuffs as long as the wheels aren’t damaged in any other way (I had scraped my wheels like 3 times, once going thru McDonalds drive thru lol), I just hope that they’re going to find an oem set before all is set and done.

Didn't you say that you are leasing your Accord? I'm not an expert on leasing- but isn't one of the requirements that you keep your car stock? Why does that dealership think that it's acceptable to put aftermarket wheels on your leased car?

Is this an aftermarket copy of Honda's design? Is this the dealership that you bought it from and will be returning that car to if you choose to to turn it back in when the lease is up? Is that dealership going to look the other way when you turn that car in and it has aftermarket wheels instead of the OEM ones?

If it were my car- regardless of if you plan on turning it in at the end of the lease or if you plan on buying it... I'd insist on OEM
Yep, you’re right. It’s currently leased. I took advantage of a very good lease rate just a couple of years ago on top of a great discount on the car I got. I believe the dealer is actually insisting on new OEM factory wheels, but they are also insisting on charging my insurance big $$$ (600$ per wheel, only the wheel), and my insurance is insisting on NOT paying for that (they have a BS policy that OEM parts only for 12 month or newer cars, sounds like BS, but that’s what I was told). The strange part was when I said I could settle for OEM 17’s that would cost the same or less, he refused…. Frankly, I think both sides are BSing me, to put it politely.

The replicas are, as I was told, “exactly the same” design as OEM, what I worry about is the quality. I had every intention to keep the car after the lease (still do), but you’re right. I should probably insist on OEM only, new or used.

It looks like I may need to make a call to American Honda and Progressive HQ and turn up the heat lol

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks for your input! I’ve actually found like 3 good factory sets from reputable eBay dealers too, but when I brought it up, the adjuster said, “nah, we don’t use eBay…” My face dropped as soon as I heard that. I don’t care about scrapes or scuffs as long as the wheels aren’t damaged in any other way (I had scraped my wheels like 3 times, once going thru McDonalds drive thru lol), I just hope that they’re going to find an oem set before all is set and done.

Yep, you’re right. It’s currently leased. I took advantage of a very good lease rate just a couple of years ago on top of a great discount on the car I got. I believe the dealer is actually insisting on new OEM factory wheels, but they are also insisting on charging my insurance big $$$ (600$ per wheel, only the wheel), and my insurance is insisting on NOT paying for that (they have a BS policy that OEM parts only for 12 month or newer cars, sounds like BS, but that’s what I was told). The strange part was when I said I could settle for OEM 17’s that would cost the same or less, he refused…. Frankly, I think both sides are BSing me, to put it politely.

The replicas are, as I was told, “exactly the same” design as OEM, what I worry about is the quality. I had every intention to keep the car after the lease (still do), but you’re right. I should probably insist on OEM only, new or used.

It looks like I may need to make a call to American Honda and Progressive HQ and turn up the heat lol
1. What does your lease contract say?
2. What does your insurance policy say?

It shouldn't be too hard for your insurance company to source used OEM wheels. I know that Touring models aren't nearly as common as Sport models... but there should be some Touring wheels sitting on wrecked Accords in a junk yard somewhere. Sadly, your insurance policy might dictate your options. I'd get out a magnifying glass and start looking at the fine print in your insurance policy. It might be useful to search the laws in your state to see if there's language that dictates when an insurer has to use OEM parts.

I'd pressure them to work something out so that you get an OEM set of Touring wheels, even if they are used. How much you want to pressure them for that will depend on what you plan on doing with your Accord once the lease is up which should be soon, right? (Depending on when your 2020 lease started)

Aftermarket imitations are cheaper for a reason. It might not be apparent right away- but my guess is that after a few years they will wear a lot worse than OEM wheels, especially if you drive somewhere that salts the roads in winter.

Since it is a leased vehicle and Honda might reject the use of aftermarket wheels when the car is turned back in- that might provide some leverage for your insurance company... but again- that will depend on the specific wording in your policy.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
1. What does your lease contract say?
2. What does your insurance policy say?

It shouldn't be too hard for your insurance company to source used OEM wheels. I know that Touring models aren't nearly as common as Sport models... but there should be some Touring wheels sitting on wrecked Accords in a junk yard somewhere. Sadly, your insurance policy might dictate your options. I'd get out a magnifying glass and start looking at the fine print in your insurance policy. It might be useful to search the laws in your state to see if there's language that dictates when an insurer has to use OEM parts.

I'd pressure them to work something out so that you get an OEM set of Touring wheels, even if they are used. How much you want to pressure them for that will depend on what you plan on doing with your Accord once the lease is up which should be soon, right? (Depending on when your 2020 lease started)

Aftermarket imitations are cheaper for a reason. It might not be apparent right away- but my guess is that after a few years they will wear a lot worse than OEM wheels, especially if you drive somewhere that salts the roads in winter.

Since it is a leased vehicle and Honda might reject the use of aftermarket wheels when the car is turned back in- that might provide some leverage for your insurance company... but again- that will depend on the specific wording in your policy.
It shouldn’t be hard to find at all. But if the words my adjuster told me were true (that only cars 12 month or newer get oem parts), then there’s not much else I can do. What I don’t get is I’d already let them know places where they can get a set for less than the new replicas, but they still refused to go with it…

I still have 1.5 year to go. But like I said, I am planning to buy it out either way. The thing is, like you mentioned, I’ll still likely need to replace them with oem wheels before trading it after buying it out. If I keep the car, and the replicas don’t hold up nearly as well as expected, then I’ll need to replace the set on my own anyways. Either way, I’m out my deductible and the cost of a set of oem wheels at some point down the road, if they insist on going with aftermarket.

Regardless, I’ll try to find the contract and talk with them one more time before I’ll speak with their supervisors 😁

Reactions: RCarlL

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It shouldn’t be hard to find at all. But if the words my adjuster told me were true (that only cars 12 month or newer get oem parts), then there’s not much else I can do. What I don’t get is I’d already let them know places where they can get a set for less than the new replicas, but they still refused to go with it…

I still have 1.5 year to go. But like I said, I am planning to buy it out either way. The thing is, like you mentioned, I’ll still likely need to replace them with oem wheels before trading it after buying it out. If I keep the car, and the replicas don’t hold up nearly as well as expected, then I’ll need to replace the set on my own anyways. Either way, I’m out my deductible and the cost of a set of oem wheels at some point down the road, if they insist on going with aftermarket.

Regardless, I’ll try to find the contract and talk with them one more time before I’ll speak with their supervisors 😁
Maybe you can ask them to just write you a check then for whatever they were planning on paying out.

When a piece of concrete fell on the hood of my 2016 Accord, I took it to a body shop that I really liked- but wasn't an "approved" shop through State Farm. When you choose a non-approved shop with State Farm, they send an adjuster out to inspect the damage then write you a check so that you can take it to the non-approved shop. The only negative is that if the repair turns out to cost more than what the check was written for- the owner is on the hook for the difference.

I wonder if Progressive has a similar policy. If they do, you could take the money and then buy whatever wheels and tires that you'd like.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,408 Posts
... and my adjuster told me they couldn’t find any used factory wheels (yeah…), and it’s looking like they’re going to move forward with aftermarket replicas… which I reluctantly agreed.
It's like they're not even trying

·
port & polish everything
1,735 Posts
Do not agree to replica wheels. There are posts on other sites about replica wheels cracking when hitting potholes.

I cannot find the video now but at one time Honda themselves published a video test showing how original wheels have strength requirements for curbs and potholes, which obviously original wheels pass, but replicas sometimes do not.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Maybe you can ask them to just write you a check then for whatever they were planning on paying out.

When a piece of concrete fell on the hood of my 2016 Accord, I took it to a body shop that I really liked- but wasn't an "approved" shop through State Farm. When you choose a non-approved shop with State Farm, they send an adjuster out to inspect the damage then write you a check so that you can take it to the non-approved shop. The only negative is that if the repair turns out to cost more than what the check was written for- the owner is on the hook for the difference.

I wonder if Progressive has a similar policy. If they do, you could take the money and then buy whatever wheels and tires that you'd like.
I’m not 100% sure, but it sounds similar to my policy. In my case, the dealer in question isn’t an approved shop (isn’t in their network), so the adjuster was there to keep things in check. My previous insurance was like you described. But as far as I understand, the difference here with my current insurance is, as the adjuster told me, they’ll be paying the dealer directly (no check written to me), and I’ll be paying the deductible to the dealer separately. However, they’ll work with me if I’ve got other ideas as long as it’s within their budget… anything I want that exceed it, I’ll pay for the difference (which I probably will need to for the tires since they’re quoting me some crappy tires)… which doesn’t make sense in a way because he also told me they can’t find used oem wheels and for whatever reasons (I think it was fitment issues for my car lol), they can’t do 17’s… both of which are within the budget. I might ask again though. The worst I can get is no.

It's like they're not even trying

Thank you thank you!!! 🫣🥹😭
I’m going to show my adjuster this site, hope he doesn’t make up another reason to deny it. This is very helpful.

Do not agree to replica wheels. There are posts on other sites about replica wheels cracking when hitting potholes.

I cannot find the video now but at one time Honda themselves published a video test showing how original wheels have strength requirements for curbs and potholes, which obviously original wheels pass, but replicas sometimes do not.
Thanks for the input! I’ve had my doubts as well, but I’ve never had any replicas and my insurance adjuster said they “never” had any issues, so I wasn’t sure what to make of it. But yeah, I do remember reading a discussion somewhere online a long time ago and the overall perception about them is negative. Thanks for reminding me to stay clear of them if possible. 🙏

61 - 69 of 69 Posts