Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received and installed my weathertech digital fit mats about a week ago. I wanted to give them time to relax in the car before posting.

On the drivers side, it seems that around the fuel/trunk release area that I have a rather larger gap. There are no factory mats installed, these were removed before installation. The drivers mat locking grommet slipped right over the factory lock and locked no problem, but it seems that it is sitting high and not allowing the mat in that corner to set down and close the gap.

I called weathertech, and they suggested that I first turn the mat completely inside out and let it sit for a few hours in the sun, then try to re-install. I had actually let them sit in the sun before install when I first took them out of the box, but I did not turn it inside out.

I will give their suggestion a try, but I just wanted to see how others were fitting.

What does your weathertech mats look like in this area?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
mine is the same in that area, I actually posted this same thing when I got mine. The rest of the mats are perfect. Its actually going to cause an issue during the winter.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
It is this "attention to detail" items that is the reason I will not buy weather tech products. I've seen too many in person that fit like that. I will stick with Husky Liners.

Jay

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I do have a little gap there also but it seems better than yours :dunno:

That back part does seem to be bowed up a little bit, maybe it will settle down if you try to turn it inside out like they said? If you were brave you could try heating it up and seeing if you could make it sit down more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My previous set of weathertechs for my last vehicle fit perfect. So I was surprised to see this on the honda.

I did in fact take it out and turn it inside out for a few hours in the sun. The long side is a bit better, but the back by the lock grommet is no different.

I actually thought about a heat gun to see if I could manipulate it a bit. I'm thinking that if I can get the ringed recessed groove around the grommet to flip the other direction it would lower that entire corner and solve all issues. I'll see what I can do tomorrow and post any pictures if it works out.

·
Hi......
46 Posts
My previous set of weathertechs for my last vehicle fit perfect. So I was surprised to see this on the honda.

I did in fact take it out and turn it inside out for a few hours in the sun. The long side is a bit better, but the back by the lock grommet is no different.

I actually thought about a heat gun to see if I could manipulate it a bit. I'm thinking that if I can get the ringed recessed groove around the grommet to flip the other direction it would lower that entire corner and solve all issues. I'll see what I can do tomorrow and post any pictures if it works out.
Interesting. Did you also buy the weathertechs for the back seats also or just the front? If so, how is the fit back there? I have some young kids so my main purpose for wanting the weathertechs was to protect the back seat floor from baby things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just heard back from the Product Development team at Weathe®Tech. They explained that due to slight variations in the placement of the gas/trunk release lever on the floor, a slight gap may appear between the FloorLiner™ and the lever. So Weathe®Tech leaves a very small amount of play in this area to compensate for small inconsistencies in vehicle build. The thinking is that it is much better to have a tiny gap than it is to have an interference problem which prevents installation of the mat or causes buckling.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. Did you also buy the weathertechs for the back seats also or just the front? If so, how is the fit back there? I have some young kids so my main purpose for wanting the weathertechs was to protect the back seat floor from baby things.
Yes, I bought the full set. The second row is great. No problems there. Kids playing baseball was the main reason for the purchase of the mats and the rear seat cover. So the rear fit was most important.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so today while at work I decided to give this a go.

I first removed the liner from the car and brought it into my office. Grabbed the heat gun and started to play. (Be gentle, do not over heat. You do not want to melt or burn the material)

First thing I did was flip the mat over. On the drivers side grommet, I gently started to heat the circular ring around the grommet while using the handle of a screwdriver to gently apply pressure to the center of the grommet. What this did, was raise the grommet and lower the mat. If you look at the side profile of the original mat, the grommet actually extends past the bottom surface of the rest of the mat causing the area around the grommet to not actually rest against the floor of the car. This pushed the grommet up so the mat now sat lower against the floor. You can see in the picture of the grommet, that the recessed ring around it is less pronounced. (see picture of the bottom of the grommet surface after it was done)

Also, I placed a box under the edge of the mat where it would go around the fuel/trunk lever. I gently heated that area and the weight of the mat pulled this area down a bit as well.

I gently heated the top edge (fathest from the seat) where it overlaps the end of the fuel/trunk lever area as well as the bottom corner (closest to the grommet). In both those areas I applied a bit of pressure to "mold" them to fit better.

I also noticed that the passenger grommet sat below the bottom surface of the mat as well causing the mat to not sit all the way down on the floor. So I heated the ring around the grommet and using the handle of the screwdriver, I also applied a little pressure to relocate it. (see picture of the bottom of the grommet surface after it was done)

I test fit the mat, noted any areas I wanted to work a bit more, then repeated.

Here is how it all fits now. I'm happy. (compare to original pictures at beginning of this thread)

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
At least the circles on weather techs all look to be in place where they meet to lock in the matts to the floor on the driver's side.

The ones I got from Husky looks all out of place, really cheaply made and no attention for detail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.