Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a used 03 Accord for my kids to drive around in. A couple months ago, it was really having trouble starting in the morning, the battery was 4ish years old, so I replaced the battery. Fast forward a couple months, I start driving this car every day while my new car was on order, and I noticed again it was having trouble starting some mornings (not nearly as severe as previous, but still harder than it should be with a new battery).

I also noticed another weird "glitch" issue. Sometimes when you unlock and open the door, you will hear a chime that sounds like the "Lights Left On" chime. But it only chimes once and then stops. But the lights aren't on. And it only dings once and then stops.

I can't help thinking these issues are related...like some small battery drain somehow connected. I don't know how to troubleshoot this. But if anyone has ever had a similar issue, or can give me some idea as to where I can start looking into it, I'd appreciate it.

·
Vendor
248 Posts
So, I bought a used 03 Accord for my kids to drive around in. A couple months ago, it was really having trouble starting in the morning, the battery was 4ish years old, so I replaced the battery. Fast forward a couple months, I start driving this car every day while my new car was on order, and I noticed again it was having trouble starting some mornings (not nearly as severe as previous, but still harder than it should be with a new battery).

I also noticed another weird "glitch" issue. Sometimes when you unlock and open the door, you will hear a chime that sounds like the "Lights Left On" chime. But it only chimes once and then stops. But the lights aren't on. And it only dings once and then stops.

I can't help thinking these issues are related...like some small battery drain somehow connected. I don't know how to troubleshoot this. But if anyone has ever had a similar issue, or can give me some idea as to where I can start looking into it, I'd appreciate it.
Hello,

Brand new batteries are sometimes bad. So, I wouldn't rule that out. First, test the battery. If it tests okay, you'll want to perform a parasitic draw test to confirm you have a draw, as outlined in this video:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It may be the key cylinder in the steering column. The ding could be a key left in ignition.
Honda of 7th gen vintage and those years are known to have problems with ignition stitches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts