Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Weird problem, ABS+VSC and sometimes BRAKE!

6K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Bruce Hawkins 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

About two weeks ago, many of the warning lights came on my dash (no MIL or flashing D). I turned the car off, then back on, and it they all went away for a while. I tried, resetting the ECU via the OBD reader and later reset via OBD and then disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Eventually, the ABS+VSC and sometimes BRAKE!, or just the ABS+VSC, came back on.
The ScanGauge2 reader does not find any codes, when scanned. I'll hookup my other code reader tomorrow.

Unknown if this is related, a vibration has appeared. This vibration is worse at 35-40 MPH, but there is a lesser vibration up through 75 MPH. I took the car to where I bought my tires from, and they road-forced balanced my tires, but didn't find anything unusual - this included looking at the tires and rims too as they spun. Its worse under acceleration, but its still there cruising, within the speed it does it at. I've inspected the CV boots, at the wheel side - I didn't find anything unusual.

And, another thing. I got new struts few months ago...

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Did you scan for any ABS codes? Codes would help you pin point the issue. Either way, the issue is VSA related.

Edit: Get a scanner that is known to be able to scan for ABS codes. If no codes are present, it could be a VSA module on its way out or maybe a bad wheel speed sensor.

You can also take a look at this post to have the car do a self diagnostics.

Reactions: Miker
#3 ·
Did you scan for any ABS codes? Codes would help you pin point the issue. Either way, the issue is VSA related.

Edit: Get a scanner that is known to be able to scan for ABS codes. If no codes are present, it could be a VSA module on its way out or maybe a bad wheel speed sensor.
I have another farly advanced reader, and I'll check with it, tomorrow...

#5 ·
Follow the link I posted, the car will retrieve the code itself.

#7 ·
When the lights are on there is a code set.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Not necessarily, when I rebuilt my coupe, the bad VSA module set off the lights with absolutely no code. This has been reported by other Honda owners with bad VSA module/system as well. It's possible that even the computer doesn't know what's wrong with it (failure mode), other than that it's not working.

#9 ·
I don't have the service manual on this computer, but I guess the easy solution is to get another VSA module?

#12 ·
BTW. Be careful, while you have these problems. Why not having VSC (treaction contol) is not that big of a deal - not having the ABS is more of an issue. Our ABS works very good. And the car seems to give more braking power, to the rear wheels, and this make fast stops, kinda tricky without the ABS. Remember to put your "old-school hat" on and modulate the brake pedal your self...

#13 ·
Yes, it means the ABS module is bad. Just replace it. No one really needs ABS or VSA, but it's nice to have them (especially if it saves your a** in a bad situation).

#14 ·
The ABS modules can be repaired, or you can replace it with a used module. Replacing it with a new module is horribly expensive and they are on back order most of the time.

Also, some codes are transient and are not recorded, some are recorded depending on the severity.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Yes,
You can get a used one from reputable sources that offers warranties. Make sure the part comes from a 2011-2012 Accord Sedan with a V6. There's electrical variation between all the trims and model years, so make sure you find the right one, otherwise it won't work (I learned that the hard way).

#18 ·
Could be a bad connection at the VSA connector.

That website does not have service for our cars (only 2013+). In addition, you'll probably end up facing 5+ days of down time for your car between you shipping the VSA module to them and them shipping it back.

#19 ·
Final update...

I purchased the new module from Honda. And had a shop who has the official Honda code reader/writer, to update and calibrate it, once installed. It seems to work better than the original unit?

No mechanic wanted to deal with the Canadian repair facility, who could repair it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.