Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1301 - 1314 of 1314 Posts

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,301
Sooooo I didn't really feel like reading through 85 pages of comments to see the final verdict. Was this Wet Paint stuff good in the long run?
I started using it in 2004 and still use it today. It's one of the few products I won't be without.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I started using it in 2004 and still use it today. It's one of the few products I won't be without.
I swear dude, you could be an infomercial! haha. It sounds absolutely amazing. And since my dad is a broker, might be a good idea for all of our cars!

·
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,303
Try it one time. You will be sold. It is somewhat amazing but simply does what it says that it will. In today's world that is rather amazing in itself. When you consider it has been around since 1988 that should tell you something. I would venture to say that some members here are younger than that. I was born in 1949 and I am VERY hard to impress. This product impressed me the first time I used it and is equally impressive today.
Fair enough?

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
@RTexasF - thanks for starting this thread. I'm am a beginner at this detailing thing, even though I spent my childhood watching my Dad, who restored old cars as a hobby, paint, wet sand, compound and wax his projects. And yes, I have the Wet Paint product. I probably don't use it to its full potential, but its quite useful.

Over the summer, my car was parked on the street, and something side swiped my car (perhaps a bicyclist?). I got an intermittent scratch almost the length of my car. This thread inspired me to try to undo it. I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P67GSRG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and started with the coarsest compound and worked my way down to the finest polish. I don't have any real detailing tools, so I just worked the stuff in with my hands. I expanded the area as I went to each finer polish step. Low and behold, I got 95% of the scratch off. 3 inches of it are beyond the clear coat, and I'm going to tackle that with another kit I bought. As a bonus all the swirl marks from the car wash are off the area I treated. I figure I'd post it here, as this is the thread that got me started with improving the appearance of my car. Thanks.

·
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,305
Well done. You deserve the kudos for taking on a difficult project and making it work. I hope the other kit works as well for you. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,992 Posts
Try it one time. You will be sold.
I'm going to order some of this and try it out on my Prelude which has less than stellar black paint (swirl marks and scratches; no oxidation or clear failure like the Accord). I can't get the paint corrected for a while so I figured I'd try this and see what it can do

I will be sure to take many, many photos before and after.

I did have one question: what would I use to "strip" the WP off, if I needed to?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,307
I'm going to order some of this and try it out on my Prelude which has less than stellar black paint (swirl marks and scratches; no oxidation or clear failure like the Accord). I can't get the paint corrected for a while so I figured I'd try this and see what it can do

I will be sure to take many, many photos before and after.

I did have one question: what would I use to "strip" the WP off, if I needed to?

I doubt you will want to but ask when you call to place the order. The owner/inventor is usually there. Your best bet is to order a "Combo" as it has both the pump up sprayer and the product itself. PM me if I can be of help.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,992 Posts
I doubt you will want to but ask when you call to place the order. The owner/inventor is usually there. Your best bet is to order a "Combo" as it has both the pump up sprayer and the product itself. PM me if I can be of help.
Well, my real question was about when I get the rust removed and the new metal is painted, if the glaze will affect them blending the new paint to the existing paint or not. I'll ask when I call. I just called a little while ago and found out they're only open on weekdays, so that'll have to wait until Monday lol.

And yeah, I was gonna order the 32 oz bottle and sprayer. No reason not to, for only a slightly higher price. I'm excited to try it! Basically I just want something to make the paint look a little nicer until I get the rust removed and paint corrected. I'm used to applying spray wax so this will last longer, look better and give more protection. I'll wash and clay it before applying.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,679 Posts
Well, my real question was about when I get the rust removed and the new metal is painted, if the glaze will affect them blending the new paint to the existing paint or not.
My experience is it won't make a difference at all. I used Wet Paint maybe twice last year, and in January I had to have the hood replaced & the front fenders repainted. The shop didn't say anything about it & I forgot to tell them. So far so good.

Don't spray it on black metal like the roof seam covers, unless you want them shiny. Also, if there's visible dirt on the car, clean it first. WP claims it's a waterless car cleaner as well, my experience is that if it's visibly dirty, wash it first. I tried it once last year on an obviously dirty car, won't do that again. I use a random-orbit polisher to apply it; not necessary but nice.

·
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,310
From their website:

Will wet paint stick to Wet Paint?

Body shops, too, will ‘rejoice’ knowing that no special preparation is required when repainting vehicles treated with Wet Paint. To prove this to yourself, polish an old damaged fender, a metal barrel, or some other large object representative of an automotive body panel.

After polishing the panel thoroughly with Wet Paint, try painting its surface with an ordinary aerosol spray paint. Amazingly, paint will bond securely to the panel with nary a hint of "fish-eye"! For paint to adhere to such a slippery surface without benefit of ‘prepping’ seems downright magic, but in truth, it’s a matter of simple chemistry. Of course, we’re not even remotely suggesting that Wet Paint be used as a paint primer. But we are saying that body shop personnel will not be plagued with expensive, time-consuming preparation difficulties when repainting vehicles treated with Wet Paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cute, real cute. Here I try to let others know about a good product and you want me to light my car off! :)
I'm sure BUYACCORD is referring to the car coating/wax commercials from the mid-80's. They were notorious for setting fire to every car they applied their product to. You're either too young or didn't live in front of a t.v. back then.....?

·
Cruising in Montana
3,679 Posts
I was cleaning the basement windows last week and came upon three of them that had water spots pretty much burned in to them. They required the Bon-Ami treatment, and after doing that two or three times per window, the spots were finally removed. Those three windows get baked by the sun in the summertime, and I suspect the sprinkler system is hitting the glass.

So I decided to treat all 7 basement windows with Wet Paint. Hopefully I'll never need to clean them again.

·
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,313
I'm sure BUYACCORD is referring to the car coating/wax commercials from the mid-80's. They were notorious for setting fire to every car they applied their product to. You're either too young or didn't live in front of a t.v. back then.....?
It was a joke son and went over your head. I remember those ridiculous commercials well. At 70 years of age I'm far from too young and I did live in front of a TV back then but it was black & white. I saw the first color televisions when they were invented and they were terrible.

·
13,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,314
I was cleaning the basement windows last week and came upon three of them that had water spots pretty much burned in to them. They required the Bon-Ami treatment, and after doing that two or three times per window, the spots were finally removed. Those three windows get baked by the sun in the summertime, and I suspect the sprinkler system is hitting the glass.

So I decided to treat all 7 basement windows with Wet Paint. Hopefully I'll never need to clean them again.
I hope it works for you.

1301 - 1314 of 1314 Posts