Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord LX, 2.4L CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can tell from the title, I want to know what all I need to do to make my car as fast as possible, as well as how much HP I could possibly be at. For starters, I have a 2017 Accord LX 2.4L

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Don’t tell me “buy a faster honda, “get a v6”, “it isn’t worth it”. I don’t wanna hear that sh*t. I love my car, and I don’t want to trade it in. When I get a faster car it ain’t gonna be a Honda.

I already have some basic ideas in mind (new exhaust system, air intake, tune, wider tires, turbo charger) but in actuality I’m pretty uneducated. And I want to be able to smoke most of the people on the road who will race me, especially other Hondas.

I want to put this car in an entirely new class, forza Motorsport style. And have fun every step of the way. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As you can tell from the title, I want to know what all I need to do to make my car as fast as possible, as well as how much HP I could possibly be at...new exhaust system, air intake, tune, wider tires, turbo charger... I want to be able to smoke most of the people on the road who will race me, especially other Hondas.

I want to put this car in an entirely new class, forza Motorsport style. And have fun every step of the way. What are your recommendations?
So right off the bat, street racing is illegal in all 50 states, so I'm going to assume you're talking about taking your car to a closed track or perhaps Mexico. Here goes:

FIRST mods if you plan to increase performance should be to increase stability and safety. Upgraded rotors and pads, heavier sway bars (the easy solution there is to modify your car with V6 Accord parts).

Cutting weight would probably be easier and safer than just adding power. Remove the back seats, the spare, and the door/floor insulation. Swap on lighter rims to reduce un-sprung mass.

If you have a manual transmission, you have some flexibility and could probably subject it to upwards of 225 hp / lbft. That's a general estimate halfway between 200 and 250. The V6 model has different gearing, so one should assume that if you approach V6 power output, the stock I4 transmission will not be able to handle it long term without slipping clutch.

If you have the CVT, you're much more limited and should reconsider your choices.

I've seen popular solutions here consisting of Ktuner / Hondata tunes with a new downpipe and intake. Adding a turbo to the I4 without upgrading the transmission/drivetrain is just asking for trouble and a broken car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As you can tell from the title, I want to know what all I need to do to make my car as fast as possible, as well as how much HP I could possibly be at. For starters, I have a 2017 Accord LX 2.4L

View attachment 543872

Don’t tell me “buy a faster honda, “get a v6”, “it isn’t worth it”. I don’t wanna hear that sh*t. I love my car, and I don’t want to trade it in. When I get a faster car it ain’t gonna be a Honda.

I already have some basic ideas in mind (new exhaust system, air intake, tune, wider tires, turbo charger) but in actuality I’m pretty uneducated. And I want to be able to smoke most of the people on the road who will race me, especially other Hondas.

View attachment 543872

I'm in the process of modifying my 2014 accord sport and all you can really do without digging too deep is make the car more fun to drive(this is all I want). I'm also trying to make sure it stays usable as my daily driver so I'm not removing seats or doing anything too crazy to it. The first thing I did was put a short ram intake from K&N in it and you can do that yourself with basic tools and no jacks so it's a good starting point. The intake gives my Accord a nice aggressive intake noise above 4k rpm and makes the airflow less restrictive(more air means more power). The thing is with any part that you need to have a proper tune for it to help so getting a ktuner or hondata is essential. Honestly the tune is pretty much the only real thing you can do to change how this car drives.

After the intake and tune you should get bigger/lighter wheels. These are a little more expensive but they change how your car handles and how nice it looks so they're an awesome change to make.

After wheels consider modifying your exhaust. For this car I'd recommend a cat back unless you want it to be ridiculously loud. Just like with the Air intake you can get more horsepower when you free up your exhaust but you need to make sure your system is tuned properly to get the most out of it. You can actually end up losing power if it's not tuned properly.

After exhaust get a racing suspension and anti sway bars. Coilovers are a good option so long as you don't go too cheap on them. This is how you lower your car and make it look cooler plus it gives you better handling when you do it right. Anti sway bars will help make sure your turns are tight. The downside to these parts is that it makes your car less comfortable and you have to be careful going over pumps and potholes.

The very last thing I'd consider getting for this car would be a turbo. These can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing you can absolutely destroy your car so make sure you get help for the first time installing one and obviously the tune is really important for this too.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me like I said I'm trying to do the same thing you are so I can help you not make the same mistakes.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
...trying to make sure it stays usable as my daily driver so I'm not removing seats or doing anything too crazy to it. ... The very last thing I'd consider getting for this car would be a turbo. These can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing you can absolutely destroy your car so make sure you get help for the first time installing one and obviously the tune is really important for this too.
With wording like "I want to smoke other cars", I'd assume he'd go for anything and everything. Has anyone successfully added a turbo to an entry level accord WITHOUT a new transmission to handle that power? I'm assuming that if the 2.0T can put out 3.5V6 power, then a turbo mated with a 2.4 should be able to match it with the right tune, intake and exhaust. But since both the automatic and manual transmission between low and high power trims in 9th and 10th generation Accords are different, I'm also assuming the entry transmission cannot safely handle the torque of the higher powered motor

·
Turbo lag
2,719 Posts
Has anyone successfully added a turbo to an entry level accord WITHOUT a new transmission to handle that power?
Yes, but I also don't have a CVT (8th gen).
All the boosted 9th gens are manuals on this site I believe.

Reactions: easymike

·
Registered
41 Posts
We need to know a realistic budget from op. If he has 1k to spend then no luck. But if you want to drop 20k then you can definitely smoke other cars. Also keeping it fun can be tough when doing mechanic work. Its still work after all and some can be quite difficult without the proper tools or knowledge.

·
MT or death
571 Posts
LOL. I believe kids your age would call this post "cringe." What is your budget?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Pls don't tamper with the catalytic converter (yes, it's your car to do whatever you want to do with it but we're also tryna breathe here) and please don't mess with the muffler. Your fart can sounding honda sounds good only to you much like someone's farts smell good only to them. As far as smoking other hondas, no matter what you do, don't forget yours is one of the weaker models in terms of power to weight ratio, and if the other driver pulls away from you and you see their hazard lights come on before you start gaining on them it means you lost. Jus stay in your lane and don't embarrass us. Or go buy an sti or something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in the process of modifying my 2014 accord sport and all you can really do without digging too deep is make the car more fun to drive(this is all I want). I'm also trying to make sure it stays usable as my daily driver so I'm not removing seats or doing anything too crazy to it. The first thing I did was put a short ram intake from K&N in it and you can do that yourself with basic tools and no jacks so it's a good starting point. The intake gives my Accord a nice aggressive intake noise above 4k rpm and makes the airflow less restrictive(more air means more power). The thing is with any part that you need to have a proper tune for it to help so getting a ktuner or hondata is essential. Honestly the tune is pretty much the only real thing you can do to change how this car drives.

After the intake and tune you should get bigger/lighter wheels. These are a little more expensive but they change how your car handles and how nice it looks so they're an awesome change to make.

After wheels consider modifying your exhaust. For this car I'd recommend a cat back unless you want it to be ridiculously loud. Just like with the Air intake you can get more horsepower when you free up your exhaust but you need to make sure your system is tuned properly to get the most out of it. You can actually end up losing power if it's not tuned properly.

After exhaust get a racing suspension and anti sway bars. Coilovers are a good option so long as you don't go too cheap on them. This is how you lower your car and make it look cooler plus it gives you better handling when you do it right. Anti sway bars will help make sure your turns are tight. The downside to these parts is that it makes your car less comfortable and you have to be careful going over pumps and potholes.

The very last thing I'd consider getting for this car would be a turbo. These can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing you can absolutely destroy your car so make sure you get help for the first time installing one and obviously the tune is really important for this too.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me like I said I'm trying to do the same thing you are so I can help you not make the same mistakes.
Thanks for the info brother. Will definitely reach out to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With wording like "I want to smoke other cars", I'd assume he'd go for anything and everything. Has anyone successfully added a turbo to an entry level accord WITHOUT a new transmission to handle that power? I'm assuming that if the 2.0T can put out 3.5V6 power, then a turbo mated with a 2.4 should be able to match it with the right tune, intake and exhaust. But since both the automatic and manual transmission between low and high power trims in 9th and 10th generation Accords are different, I'm also assuming the entry transmission cannot safely handle the torque of the higher powered motor
😂😂😂. I’m already sure I’d have to upgrade the transmission with a turbo. Isn’t something I’m looking into at the moment though, but it’s definitely on the table.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We need to know a realistic budget from op. If he has 1k to spend then no luck. But if you want to drop 20k then you can definitely smoke other cars. Also keeping it fun can be tough when doing mechanic work. Its still work after all and some can be quite difficult without the proper tools or knowledge.
My budget is “whatever it takes” 😂

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My budget is “whatever it takes” 😂
Pls don't tamper with the catalytic converter (yes, it's your car to do whatever you want to do with it but we're also tryna breathe here) and please don't mess with the muffler. Your fart can sounding honda sounds good only to you much like someone's farts smell good only to them. As far as smoking other hondas, no matter what you do, don't forget yours is one of the weaker models in terms of power to weight ratio, and if the other driver pulls away from you and you see their hazard lights come on before you start gaining on them it means you lost. Jus stay in your lane and don't embarrass us. Or go buy an sti or something.
My next car will be a c8. Like I said, I’m not getting rid of this car because I’m attached to it. I simply want to make it as fast as possible without breaking it. Obviously, it still ain’t gonna beat an AMG or a scat pack lmao. That will be the corvette’s job.. I know how to pick my battles. But I would definitely love to be able to take on more of them.

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,637 Posts
You have a good car that should last a long time and lots of miles with ridiculously low maintenance compared to something like an AMG Mercedes, but it’s not fast nor really “fun”. Trade offs. Lower it, put bigger sway bars on it and just drive it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts