Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the countries of origin for the various components in the Gen 10 Accord?

Here's what I know so far, based on a 2018 Accord 1.5T window sticker:
US/Canadian Parts Content: 55%
Final Assembly Point: Marysville, OH
Country of Origin: 1.5T Engine: USA (probably Anna, OH)
Country of Origin: CVT Transmission: USA (probably Russells Point, OH)

Does the other 45% come from Japan? What parts are non-USA? Is there a definitive list of parts origination for all trims, engines, and transmissions?

·
HK Moderator
14,214 Posts
Welcome new member! Glad you are here!

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,048 Posts
Probably China, Taiwan, then Japan.

·
HK Moderator
14,214 Posts
Let us not forget Vietnam, Malaysia, and Mexico. And who can forget Thailand? Not me! Lots of manufacturing going on there...in Thailand.

Reactions: enne

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,048 Posts
Yes, how could I forget Thailand!

·
2020 best year
4,173 Posts
Like the electronics or seats? What specifically comes from where is what I want to know.
Not sure anyone would have this info unless they work at Honda. If you are curious, you are much better off asking a Honda representative than anyone on the forum.

I think enne has a good guess. Most likely the other parts come from Asian countries. The NGK spark plugs are Japanese, likely some electronics like MAF as well.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What are the countries of origin for the various components in the Gen 10 Accord?

Here's what I know so far, based on a 2018 Accord 1.5T window sticker:
US/Canadian Parts Content: 55%
Final Assembly Point: Marysville, OH
Country of Origin: 1.5T Engine: USA (probably Anna, OH)
Country of Origin: CVT Transmission: USA (probably Russells Point, OH)

Does the other 45% come from Japan? What parts are non-USA? Is there a definitive list of parts origination for all trims, engines, and transmissions?
Derivative question: why do you want to know this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2.0T touring shows 65% U.S./Canadian Parts content so there may be a difference in the content based on the options.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Couple yrs. ago a poster here who claimed he worked @ the Honda plant complained about Honda sourcing some parts that were made in China.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Couple yrs. ago a poster here who claimed he worked @ the Honda plant complained about Honda sourcing some parts that were made in China.
Did he complain about Honda vehicles sold in China?

·
HK Moderator
14,214 Posts
My 1994 Harley-Davidson had carbs made in Japan. The time before fuel injection, and after AMF sold H-D back to Davidson family members and investosr, Harley carbs were Made in Japan. Darn good carb. The rest of the bike was 1970's technological junk.

I used to provoke mentally-stunted motorcycle gang members (fat, drunk, and stupid) with that fact. Same as I did to American flag-waving owners of the newer Dodge Chargers with the Hemi made in Mexico and the body made in Canada.

Another fun fact: China prints the currency for most nations....too expensive for, say, Botswana to print their own.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 1994 Harley-Davidson had carbs made in Japan. The time before fuel injection, and after AMF sold H-D back to Davidson family members and investosr, Harley carbs were Made in Japan. Darn good carb. The rest of the bike was 1970's technological junk.

I used to provoke mentally-stunted motorcycle gang members (fat, drunk, and stupid) with that fact. Same as I did to American flag-waving owners of the newer Dodge Chargers with the Hemi made in Mexico and the body made in Canada.

Another fun fact: China prints the currency for most nations....too expensive for, say, Botswana to print their own.
I've had this conversation with fellow Ford Mustang owners who don't realize that "final assembly in Flat Rock Michigan" doesn't mean all American parts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My hybrid Monroney sticker says US/Canadian parts content: 65%. Engine and Transmission: Japan

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
A supervisor I had bought a new $40K Crown Vic in 1992, he told the dealer he would only buy a car made in America. Later he found out it had been made in Canada, so he went back to the dealer & ordered another one fully optioned, talked them out of a down payment. When the car arrived he had the dealer custom paint it pink with a 6in. purple stripe over the whole car. As he got his pen out to write the check he turned to the salesman & asked if the car was made in America, they reassured him it was. Before he wrote the check he wanted to look in the engine bay, he pointed out that the engine was made in Canada, salesman replied "N. America, it is all the same", N. America isn't America & you lied to me, then he got in his car & left. He got a call @ work they were going to sue him, he said see you in court you liars.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A supervisor I had bought a new $40K Crown Vic in 1992, he told the dealer he would only buy a car made in America. Later he found out it had been made in Canada, so he went back to the dealer & ordered another one fully optioned, talked them out of a down payment. When the car arrived he had the dealer custom paint it pink with a 6in. purple stripe over the whole car. As he got his pen out to write the check he turned to the salesman & asked if the car was made in America, they reassured him it was. Before he wrote the check he wanted to look in the engine bay, he pointed out that the engine was made in Canada, salesman replied "N. America, it is all the same", N. America isn't America & you lied to me, then he got in his car & left. He got a call @ work they were going to sue him, he said see you in court you liars.
I call BS. But if I'm wrong please point me to the courthouse. I want to read the files. Probably no more than a few pages. Judge would laugh that out of court in about 48 seconds.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, if someone wants to "buy American", it's pretty hard to figure out the various puts and takes of parts content, final assembly location, and, for that matter, ownership of the company (i.e., where the profits go...)

Which is "better for America"? (Based on cars I've bought at one time or another)
  • Plymouth Voyager minivan where the final assembly plant was in Canada?
  • Ford Expedition where (if I recall right) assembly took place in Mexico? (I might not be remembering this right...)
  • Honda Accord with significant Japanese parts content, but final assembly was in Ohio?
  • Subaru Outback, with significant Japanese parts content, but final assembly was in Indiana?
Darn tricky, these global supply chains.....

All else being fairly equal, I prefer buying a car that has some non-trivial US content, in whatever form, even if it's not a hard-and-fast rule for me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think the best you can do is look at a "made in America" index. Auto Index This one includes profit margin, labor, and the location of research and development, among others.

Obviously won't tell you specifically where each part comes from but no one knows that unless they work deep inside the automaker.

My window sticker said Engine = US (duh) and Transmission = Japan which honestly I was pleased about lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts