Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
A supervisor I had bought a new $40K Crown Vic in 1992, he told the dealer he would only buy a car made in America. Later he found out it had been made in Canada, so he went back to the dealer & ordered another one fully optioned, talked them out of a down payment. When the car arrived he had the dealer custom paint it pink with a 6in. purple stripe over the whole car. As he got his pen out to write the check he turned to the salesman & asked if the car was made in America, they reassured him it was. Before he wrote the check he wanted to look in the engine bay, he pointed out that the engine was made in Canada, salesman replied "N. America, it is all the same", N. America isn't America & you lied to me, then he got in his car & left. He got a call @ work they were going to sue him, he said see you in court you liars.
I'm having trouble believing that story, but nonetheless ...

N. America is America. The dealer didn't lie. The car was made in America. The buyer didn't ask the right question. What he really wanted was a car made only in the USA.

Products made in Canada, USA, and Mexico are all American made, specifically North America. There's also this other part of the Americas called South America.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think the best you can do is look at a "made in America" index. Auto Index This one includes profit margin, labor, and the location of research and development, among others.
Great resource, thanks!

All else being fairly equal, I prefer buying a car that has some non-trivial US content, in whatever form, even if it's not a hard-and-fast rule for me.
No arguments here.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts