Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bike rack can you guys recommend for my 2013 Accord? Trying to get one that is not going to damage the paint of my car, and am avoiding getting a trailer hitch.

Thanks!

·
Turbocharged
881 Posts
I recommend a nice roof rack, or even sea suckers. Neither options are cheap, but they are the best options out there. I had one of those ones that are strapped to the trunk, they aren't great. The hooks chipped the paint even with extra rubber on top the rubber coated hooks. If you drive the car hard like I do, those trunk racks wants to sway off the car even if you strap it tight and correctly. The one I used also has a tendency for the strap to work itself loose at HWY speed. With my Thule roof rack, you can basically drive the car to the limit and not ever have to worry about the bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my Thule roof rack, you can basically drive the car to the limit and not ever have to worry about the bike.
Until you drive into a garage.....

I have a couple of options. I have hitches on two of my cars, and a 3-bike Thule rack (hanging style, not trays) which I can swap between my accord or my van. I also have a Thule aeroblade roof rack on my van, with two wheels on trays. The trays don’t stay on all the time, just when I need them. Mostly I use the hitch as my go to. I haven’t felt the need so far in sinking the $$ into towers to mount my crossbars on top of the accord, so they’re never come off the van. Would be nicer on the sedan.... reaching the top of the van can be annoying.

·
Turbocharged
881 Posts
Until you drive into a garage.....

I have a couple of options. I have hitches on two of my cars, and a 3-bike Thule rack (hanging style, not trays) which I can swap between my accord or my van. I also have a Thule aeroblade roof rack on my van, with two wheels on trays. The trays don’t stay on all the time, just when I need them. Mostly I use the hitch as my go to. I haven’t felt the need so far in sinking the $$ into towers to mount my crossbars on top of the accord, so they’re never come off the van. Would be nicer on the sedan.... reaching the top of the van can be annoying.
I don't get to garage park in neither my place nor my parent's place, so that has never worried me. It's also lower than any drive through or public garage I've been to. But also for that reason, the hitch rack was initially my first choice, but I got quite a deal on my roof rack so here we are. But OP says no hitch, so we're narrowing our options here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in the same predicament. Went with the Saris Bones 2 and its been great, no scratching, easy to put on and its sturdy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put a hitch on mine and got a Kuat bike rack. Makes the car like 50% more useful now that I’m riding my bike a lot

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are only carrying 1 bike, I suggest just put it in the back. That's what I do after watching a clip from Youtube. Works out really well with the bike upside down resting on the rear wheelwell with only the front wheel off. No worries about theft in most cases.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use a Saris Bones 2 also with no issues for the past couple of years. Only paid $20 for it from someone who stopped riding. I put it to the test last Friday, had to drive 150 miles each way to pick up my new bike. Zero issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8th Gen Believer
4,013 Posts
Don't buy the truck rack. I did on my 2003 coupe and it does mess with the paint.

Reactions: Hudouc
1 - 10 of 10 Posts