Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been talked about before, I've heard a lot of theories on home remedies to prevent this from happening. If you already seen this link before then, No need for you to go further.. For everyone else, this might be a little T.M.I. ..? either way, have a read... ill say, it doesn't give me a lot of hope.

http://www.valvebodypros.com/pdf/Honda_Third_Clutch_Failures.pdf

·
Mike
779 Posts
This is why I manually shift into 3rd or 2nd most of the time and the reason I drive in D3 under 40 mph, especially in traffic. This eliminates the constant shifting into and out of 3rd, have done this for years. Driving in D3 below 40 mph also helps to eliminate constant lock unlock cycling of the TC at lower traffic speeds. Others will disagree, but after researching published info and data on various failure modes for this trans, you may want to think about driving strategies with this transmission.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
This guy is a smart tech and not sure why Honda does not help him figure out their poorly designed automatic transmission system as he has made their engineers look like they have no clue . After he figures it out I am sure Honda will update their clutch pack material and give him no credit.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
This guy is a smart tech and not sure why Honda does not help him figure out their poorly designed automatic transmission system as he has made their engineers look like they have no clue . After he figures it out I am sure Honda will update their clutch pack material and give him no credit.
Well, for one, Honda is not going to open themselves to any legal backlash by admitting to any design flaws. Furthermore, Honda won't update a thing regarding our old cars. They are now in the 9th generation of Accords.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Do you really think this guy has figured it all out, while Honda's own engineers can't? I've heard all kinds of reasons why these transmissions fail. One rebuild tech I saw on a video said it could be as simple as over-torqued valve body bolts inside the transmission, causing the valves to stick. I know this guy would like us all to believe he is a genius, and has the answer, but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Do you really think this guy has figured it all out, while Honda's own engineers can't? I've heard all kinds of reasons why these transmissions fail. One rebuild tech I saw on a video said it could be as simple as over-torqued valve body bolts inside the transmission, causing the valves to stick. I know this guy would like us all to believe he is a genius, and has the answer, but I'm skeptical.
Not sure if your question was directed at me, so I'll answer. My comment stands, regardless of whether the guy is right or not.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for one, Honda is not going to open themselves to any legal backlash by admitting to any design flaws. Furthermore, Honda won't update a thing regarding our old cars. They are now in the 9th generation of Accords.
i was thinking the same thing... if they "help" anyone, they admit fault... and like you said.. 9 th gen already.. Honda already got our $$$ . they are focusing on the cars they DIDNT sell yet... =(

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

if it was something as simple as over tightening a valve body? why didnt they STOP over tightening them year after year? what about the 3rd clutches that are smoked "burned? would a over tightened valve body ONLY cause the destruction of the 3rd clutch an no other? Not saying the over tightening is not true. it might have been in that transmission, or a certain year(s). but so far no one else even points to that cause in other failed Honda transmissions. Maybe he is the Only one to discover this? With This guys example, he Shows on his meter the differences, gives examples of pressure drops in certain circumstances and the list goes on etc ... but to imply that some lonesome guy can't/couldn't figure it out if Honda couldn't... Well Honda DIDNT figure it out!! when they invented this 5 speed transmission...this is why we are having this discussion in the first place.. Because.... Honda Dropped the ball..... If Honda's engineers did it right the first time, they wouldn't have been forced to Extend warranties by going through a lawsuit.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
thank you professor :notworthy this is exactly why I refuse to purchase a automatic Honda

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
I read that article before rebuilding my transmission. That's why I didn't just do a rebuild, I looked for answers to the problems. The upgrade kit seemed to address the problems with their opinions and corrections.

After doing the rebuild with this upgrade kit, the trans acts completely different than original. It is much more positive in each gear, and seems to hold each gear both up and down the speed scale. I can see and slightly feel each shift up, not harshly, but it is noticeably shifting. When passing from about 45 it makes two quick shifts down, then locks and goes in third. The one thing I can't tell is converter lock up, I don't see (tach) or feel it lock. So I would have to assume all is ok, it was addressed with the kit, but I can't tell a difference.

Like anything, time will tell. Many people that have had tranny rebuilds done, are back in the shop in a couple of years or less. This just happened to my Dad's van (not the same trans, but similar in design). He had it rebuilt about 18 months ago. Then it failed again while I was doing the rebuild on my Accord. 3rd clutches had completely failed with approx. 40k miles. So if our Accord last another 100k with this tranny, then I'll consider the problem corrected. But that will take another 5 or so years.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts