Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Could anyone share what dampener settings on the D2's they found to work well with our cars?
you cant ask a question like this. its personal preference if you like it more stiff or softer. you have to adjust and play with it and go out for drives to test it the different settings

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,989 Posts
Could anyone share what dampener settings on the D2's they found to work well with our cars?
Damper setting is not based on the car. It's based on, among other things, road quality and ride comfort level preference.

If you don't know where to set it at, start at the softest setting and then make adjustments from there as you drive the car over time.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Damper setting is not based on the car. It's based on, among other things, road quality and ride comfort level preference.

If you don't know where to set it at, start at the softest setting and then make adjustments from there as you drive the car over time.
Problem with this approach is you are supposed to set height and dampening on install. I have been told it is very hard on all the components of the coil over while car is sitting on the wheels.

I t would be very nice to hear Spring Pre-load and Dampening setting people are using and what the ride and drop is from those settings.

Pretty easy on dampening, X many turns after the spring does not wobble and it rides this way.

Over all length of unit and it drops it this much.

Not many brands around like 3 right?

Just would be nice to get some data collected on this.

And if you could get this really populated with info before the end of March when I am going to order my wheels and coil overs it would be great :D

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,989 Posts
Problem with this approach is you are supposed to set height and dampening on install. I have been told it is very hard on all the components of the coil over while car is sitting on the wheels.
I think you're confused here.

It would be very nice to hear Spring Pre-load and Dampening setting people are using and what the ride and drop is from those settings.
Spring preload should already be set from the factory. If not or you want to verify before installing, then you need to check with the manufacturer to see what preload it should be at or what they recommend.

For example, Megan recommends zero preload (anything other than that can void the warranty due to reduced suspension travel). D2 and Ksport should be the same. Function and Form recommends 5mm of preload. I don't remember what BC Racing is at.

I think you're confusing spring preload and damper setting with something else. They have no effect on the drop amount. The ride height is adjusted using the lower mount, not the spring perches. The damper setting will affect ride comfort/quality, but again that's a personal preference thing. If you like a stiff sporty ride, increase the firmness. If you like a comfortable near stock like ride, reduce the firmness. Don't know where to start? Start at the softest setting and increase the firmness from there after you've spent some time driving around on various roads.

Your settings will different from my settings and both of ours will differ from the settings of the next guy and so on...

Pretty easy on dampening, X many turns after the spring does not wobble and it rides this way.
Huh? Damping and spring wobble? Yeah, you're definitely confusing things.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think you're confused here.

Spring preload should already be set from the factory. If not or you want to verify before installing, then you need to check with the manufacturer to see what preload it should be at or what they recommend.

For example, Megan recommends zero preload (anything other than that can void the warranty due to reduced suspension travel). D2 and Ksport should be the same. Function and Form recommends 5mm of preload. I don't remember what BC Racing is at.

I think you're confusing spring preload and damper setting with something else. They have no effect on the drop amount. The ride height is adjusted using the lower mount, not the spring perches. The damper setting will affect ride comfort/quality, but again that's a personal preference thing. If you like a stiff sporty ride, increase the firmness. If you like a comfortable near stock like ride, reduce the firmness. Don't know where to start? Start at the softest setting and increase the firmness from there after you've spent some time driving around on various roads.

Your settings will different from my settings and both of ours will differ from the settings of the next guy and so on...

Huh? Damping and spring wobble? Yeah, you're definitely confusing things.
Spring pre load is just that how much will the spring take verses the stroke of the shock itself. This is adjusted by turning a ring up or down putting pressure on or off the spring. So yes I just turned until I hit the spring and then 7 more turns of pre-load.

Height is done by spinning the bottom of the shock units themselves up or down on the body of the shock. So the overall length of the shock will determine the drop or rise in height. Turning the bottom up will lower and turning down will raise.

Not confused in the least just maybe did not type my thoughts correctly.

At any rate it would be nice to know what people are setting these to.

A Coupe verses a Sedan, and I4 verses a V6, and then differences by the manufacturers in spring rate and height of product fully down and fully up.

As far as Dampening I would start firm and go from there. Extra firm or soft would not cut it for me so less of a concern to me.

Also tire size because of sidewall height and stiffness will make all the difference in 17, 18, 19, 20" wheels.

Just would like more feed back in the Spring pre-load and shock body adjustment for height. At least a better understanding on each manufacturers setting for a base start.

The time to do all this is when they are laying flat and you can produce repeatable measuring results, not after the install.

You are trying to lift or lower a 1/4 of your car weight on a aluminum threaded piece doing this after install. Not a good thing to do.

·
I most certainly am not.
141 Posts
The search button finally came in useful in finding this thread, only to not be useful because no one provided any useful replies. :(

I would also like to hear what settings people found perfect for their D2 coilovers.

For my V6 coupe with stock 18" wheels, This is what mine is at right now:

Back - tucks the wheel a little bit. - 15 clicks softer from the hardest point.
Front - 2 finger wheel well gap - 12 clicks softer from the hardest point.

Result - the back feels perfect, and the front rides nice except on big bumps as well as pot holes. The front bounces too much, too quickly
I am looking for the great stock feeling ride with no wheel well gap.

At this point, I feel that the $300. racelands I used to have on my civic ride better than $1200. D2's.

Please provide some results. :)

·
Banned
58 Posts
Whenever you set the Damper do it per wheel and make sure that wheel is lifted of the ground before you set it.

I had my BC coilover damper set on 20 out of 30 and I found it to be too sporty so I took it down to 10 out of 30 and it seems to be perfect for me.

It depends on what you want.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
You don't necessarily need to raise the car to adjust your damper. You could even adjust damper while driving like the EDFC module does on Tein coilovers.

Regarding damper settings, I do agree with namegoeshere and think you are over emphasizing the damper setting. There is definitely a component that is important; in a simple example, if lowered and your damper is "too soft" your car will rebound/bounce a bit more on bumps and have a more likely chance to bottom out. I've had this in the past and on that same road, with the same dip, I felt like I was touching just a bit when stiffening up the damper, it was corrected. However, one of the best things about coilovers is the ability to adjust damper so easily.

Proces for coilovers that I'd recommend for most who are installing coilovers on this forum and not setting up for the track.

- Out of the box, do not touch the spring pre-load. Those are the two collars between the spring... don't touch them. Adjust via the lower collar to your ride height.
- My recommendation slightly different is to set your damper full stiff. If you haven't had coilovers before, you will notice it's stiff..very stiff...perhaps too much for daily driving. From this as a standpoint, begin to adjust them down to your level of comfort, yet retaining stiffness for cornering. At any point not happy, adjust them and do them again.

I'd personally much rather run BC, ISC, K-Sport, Megan, etc over D2, but the features should be the same.

·
I most certainly am not.
141 Posts
I had my BC coilover damper set on 20 out of 30 and I found it to be too sporty so I took it down to 10 out of 30 and it seems to be perfect for me.

It depends on what you want.

This is the answer the OP and I are looking for. Thank you.

I lowered the front today 35 turns of the coilover on each side. The front now has a tiny to no wheel well gap at all. Stopped half way home from work, adjusted the setting to: Front = 10 from softest back = 6 from softest

Driving in Dallas TX is horrible. My car now rides like stock, and never bottomed out or rubbed my fender linings.

I'm very happy now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Right now I'm still trying to dial it in for dd family duties. I have the front 16 click starting from the softest setting and in the rear I have it at 10 from the softest setting. I handles the daily in town bumps pretty well and feels smooth on the commute to work. Any softer and the cars seems to bottom out over any bumps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have yonaka coilovers and i left the spring preload at what was set from factory. It seemed right. When i first lowered, i was tucked so i had the damping set at the firmest setting (they have 32 levels). it rides like it's on rails...I love it. I raised it 1/2" all around and i think it'll be my final stance. it's still on the firmest and there's no problems. I may play around with the levels in the future though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
:lurk: Subscribed...just to see where this goes...I started a thread on D2s and received some good suggestions. Will try those in July but if any good info is added here I can try them as well.

Come July, I'll either have some D2 Coilovers or Eibach Springs (sitting in the garage awaiting my return) for sale. Still saving for bags!!

·
Industrial Designer
237 Posts
I have yonaka coilovers and i left the spring preload at what was set from factory. It seemed right. When i first lowered, i was tucked so i had the damping set at the firmest setting (they have 32 levels). it rides like it's on rails...I love it. I raised it 1/2" all around and i think it'll be my final stance. it's still on the firmest and there's no problems. I may play around with the levels in the future though.
Just curious how you feel about the Yonakas so far.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just had my Eibach springs removed and D2 Racing coilovers installed a few days ago....

To answer a few questions I have seen posted...

1. 20" wheels

2. Estimated 2" drop, I can barely fit one finger between the gap (yeah she's that tight)

3. I plan on getting fenders rolled this coming Monday to allow for another ~1/2" drop in the front only.

4. I believe the dampener setting is 1-36...not sure which is which, but I set it to the stiffest setting and I love it. The wheels rub fenders occasionally right now, but once they're rolled I should be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recommended Damper setting

What do you guys recommended for coilovers damper setting? I got a set of Megan street series for my 2017 Accord and just got done installing. It really bouncy. Will you guys just let it sit like that and drive for 500 miles and readjust?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts