Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
341 - 360 of 363 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Today I replaced my leaky distributor with this replacement model from Amazon. I also replaced the heater hose beneath it which had become soaked with oil and was ready to burst at any moment.

Time will tell how reliable this is. Looking forward to tear apart the old distributor and attempt to rebuild it for backup.

·
one wheel drive
837 Posts
Keep an eye for the leak, there's an o-ring AND a shaft seal that can be replaced on the v6 dis. The 4cyl seal I guess is harder to do. I had to do the shaft seal a few years ago and it stopped my dribble after realizing the o-ring wasn't the problem.

Reactions: bcgreen

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep an eye for the leak, there's an o-ring AND a shaft seal that can be replaced on the v6 dis. The 4cyl seal I guess is harder to do. I had to do the shaft seal a few years ago and it stopped my dribble after realizing the o-ring wasn't the problem.
I ordered an entirely new distributor from China-zon. Hopefully I won't have anymore leaks with this one, but I'm going to rebuild the OEM unit I took out with a seal kit whenever I have time.

The distributor on my F23A engine is actually leaking much worse. That will be the next one to repair but since it isn't leaking on any hoses I haven't gotten around to it yet. There is a sensor underneath that is drenched in oil though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I was working on it today and in the process of removing the pin that holds the shaft in place, one of the ears on the shaft broke off. Is it possible to replace the entire distributor shaft? I do not see the part online. I have found every other component of the distributor except the shaft.

·
one wheel drive
837 Posts
Man that blows, maybe you can get that out of a junkyard one. Can you take the shaft out pretty easily? How did that break, it seems like it's pretty solid with the whole thing

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man that blows, maybe you can get that out of a junkyard one. Can you take the shaft out pretty easily? How did that break, it seems like it's pretty solid with the whole thing
The gear is separate from the shaft. It's held in by a pin. I was hammering away on the pin with it in a vise and it slipped and chipped it off.

It appears the gear isn't sold separately. Apparently GM distributors are, because they kept popping up in my search results.

I'm not going to stress it. I know now that I just need to get someone else to hold the distributor while I hammer it out. I'll have to do the same job on my 4 cylinder car. If the aftermarket dizzy that I purchased fails, then I can just take the gear out of it and install it into The OEM after I reseal it. Or like you said, find a junkyard one. I think one of my co-workers has a stash of Honda distributors from when he used to own one that he might give me.

Reactions: junkman

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
261 Posts
The gear is separate from the shaft. It's held in by a pin. I was hammering away on the pin with it in a vise and it slipped and chipped it off.

It appears the gear isn't sold separately. Apparently GM distributors are, because they kept popping up in my search results.

I'm not going to stress it. I know now that I just need to get someone else to hold the distributor while I hammer it out. I'll have to do the same job on my 4 cylinder car. If the aftermarket dizzy that I purchased fails, then I can just take the gear out of it and install it into The OEM after I reseal it. Or like you said, find a junkyard one. I think one of my co-workers has a stash of Honda distributors from when he used to own one that he might give me.

I have bought a gear off eBay before. A few years ago put the dang thing in upside-down.. went to start it.. ping!!. Haha Live and learn..

Reactions: bcgreen

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have bought a gear off eBay before. A few years ago put the dang thing in upside-down.. went to start it.. ping!!. Haha Live and learn..

Good to know, thank you! I marked the correct orientation befor disassembly. Making mistakes is the best way to learn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since it's nearly 3 AM.....yesterday I found out just how much damage the catalytic converter thieves did......$2,950 dollars worth of parts are needed!

I've actually jotted down about 10 numbers from Craigslist I plan to call on tomorrow. However, aftermarket may be a better bet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since it's nearly 3 AM.....yesterday I found out just how much damage the catalytic converter thieves did......$2,950 dollars worth of parts are needed!

I've actually jotted down about 10 numbers from Craigslist I plan to call on tomorrow. However, aftermarket may be a better bet.
I bought a Walker Aftermarket Cat for my Honda. About $600. It didn't get stolen, it wore out and turned on the check engine light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a Walker Aftermarket Cat for my Honda. About $600. It didn't get stolen, it wore out and turned on the check engine light.
They wear out? Seriously? I honestly did not know.

I visited the Honda shop and found out I only have the sensor on the cat to worry about. They printed me out a parts schematic and I printed out some pics of the damage for the report I am putting together for the police department.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They wear out? Seriously? I honestly did not know.

I visited the Honda shop and found out I only have the sensor on the cat to worry about. They printed me out a parts schematic and I printed out some pics of the damage for the report I am putting together for the police department.
Yes, Mine was rattling also. There are numerous articles online about cats going bad on Accords.

·
Registered
2001 Accord LX
55 Posts
Changed the oil & filter. 139k miles. Used Motorcraft blended synthetic 5W-30. And a Mobil-1 filter. The engine has a little lifter tap going and I went with slightly heavier weight oil to see if it would make a difference. So far not much difference. Runs very nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that "tapping" noise is pretty common. Mine does that and has for at least 100,000 miles. Local Honda shop told me "it's normal."

Lrobby.......congrats on doing your own oil change.

I love doing my own oil changes!

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
There are numerous articles online about cats going bad on Accords.
IMO, it's just generalized info as CATs go bad on all cars. Biggest reasons why are due to burning oil, blown head gaskets, or other contaminants are getting to the CATs causing to fail.

I've had my CAT stolen from my Honda about 10yrs ago. I had the first replacement put on there and it ran fine for a very long time. I only replaced it because my "'wonderful' car modifying allowing state" of California said that I couldn't run that CAT anymore, that I had to get another CAT that was on the approved list. I've been running that new CAT for about 4yrs now without any issue.

·
Registered
2001 Accord LX
55 Posts
I think that "tapping" noise is pretty common. Mine does that and has for at least 100,000 miles. Local Honda shop told me "it's normal."

Lrobby.......congrats on doing your own oil change.

I love doing my own oil changes!
Thanks. Now I don't like my filter choice. I watched a Youtube last night of 6 filter comparisons. The Mobil 1 was outstanding except for one thing. The spring tension on the bypass was absurdly too high, rendering the bypass function pretty much unusable. None of the others needed near as much force to open. I'm not exactly worried about it, but next time I'm going with the Wix, or a Honda.

·
Registered
1999 Honda Accord DX Sedan 2.3L Engine
2 Posts
I recently got my 1999 Honda Accord, DX trim with 2.3L engine back from local mechanic, as it has been in the shop for a month. Its currently at 154,000 kilometres and it runs and looks very well for its age as my daily driver. At the beginning of March I found the right rear tire leaning in slightly and found that a part of the rear subframe that held a control arm had rusted off, so the whole rear subframe had to be replaced.

Had to source one from a junkyard, and had it sandblasted & primped at a fabrication shop. Painted it myself and got it to the mechanic do he could install it. However on the morning he got it on, he told me the three fuel lines were completely rusted, and needed to be replaced. Got those to the mechanic and finally got my car back fully fixed after a month and a few days in the shop. I am proud of my Accord and despite its age I have faith it will last for several more years.

341 - 360 of 363 Posts