Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
241 - 260 of 352 Posts

·
2010 2.4EX
596 Posts
Yeah, some people like them and others don't. My boyfriend has one of these in his Civic, and he likes them so much that when the one from the previous owner fell apart, he replaced it with a new one. So if nothing else, I know he can put it to good use if I end up not liking it. I think material matters alot too, and this one feels pretty grippy, so we'll see how it goes.

And yeah, I just have the base LX, so no wood accents or anything. Funny story- when I went to test drive this car, there was a basque red 2009 EX-L just down the street. I was going to look at that one first, until I noticed that it had always been serviced at the same (reporting) dealership, but then had a 30k gap in its reported service histories. The LX was always serviced at the same dealership too, but reported every 7k miles or 6 month period (whichever came first) without fail, so that's the one I brought home. Although leather and those wood accents would have been nice!
A sun/moonroof is a priority for me, second probably only to handling and reliability. Sort of like a 'poor man's convertible', lol!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
940 Posts
Ok update time: one commute in, and I LOVE the steering wheel cover! It's grippy, doesn't dull handling at all, and it's so padded and comfortable that it makes me want to drive with both hands! Up until now I've been driving with one.
Including this extra photo of it because I thought it was nice. Don't worry, the light was red, so I wasn't moving.
D8526799-C151-40D5-8A5A-65C626C14029.jpeg

·
2010 2.4EX
596 Posts
Ok update time: one commute in, and I LOVE the steering wheel cover! It's grippy, doesn't dull handling at all, and it's so padded and comfortable that it makes me want to drive with both hands! Up until now I've been driving with one.
Including this extra photo of it because I thought it was nice. Don't worry, the light was red, so I wasn't moving.
View attachment 531502
It’s a Honda accessory, so no experience like the one I described, 😂

I don’t remember what car it was, nor what brand of steering wheel wrap - but it had some play to it, which might explain how my hand and forearm came to reside between cover and wheel! lmao

·
(Ken)
'09 6-6 Accord Coupe
74 Posts
I pulled an old shift knob off its plinth to use in the Accord for a while. It's amazing how the shape of a shift knob encourages a certain driving style. Reantiquating myself with the shape was a bit nostalgic, too. The bulbus body of this old Acura Legend knob encourages a more leisurely interaction compared to the sporty TL knob I usually use. The look of the TL knob on the plinth makes me wonder if this is a bit of a short shift mod, too. The boot tabs on the Legend knob touch the nut at the base when on the plinth. There's nearly an inch of threads showing with the TL knob mounted. If there is a height difference, I can't feel it while driving.
2021-06-02 18.20.25.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
I pulled an old shift knob off its plinth to use in the Accord for a while. It's amazing how the shape of a shift knob encourages a certain driving style. Reantiquating myself with the shape was a bit nostalgic, too. The bulbus body of this old Acura Legend knob encourages a more leisurely interaction compared to the sporty TL knob I usually use. The look of the TL knob on the plinth makes me wonder if this is a bit of a short shift mod, too. The boot tabs on the Legend knob touch the nut at the base when on the plinth. There's nearly an inch of threads showing with the TL knob mounted. If there is a height difference, I can't feel it while driving. View attachment 531505 View attachment 531506
Bonus points for (a) using a part from one of the greatest Honda vehicles ever made and (b) keeping the manuals alive.

(insert applause here)

·
(Ken)
'09 6-6 Accord Coupe
74 Posts
Bonus points for (a) using a part from one of the greatest Honda vehicles ever made and (b) keeping the manuals alive.

(insert applause here)
I try not to shift any other way. The six-speed coupe this knob came out of was a real treat. Styling aside, the v6 Accord is a little better in every way, but I miss turning back to catch one last glimpse as I walked into my destination. I still enjoy my automatic sedan, though, and the Legend coupe lives on with an older gentleman in Texas, albeit with a less nice shift knob.
IMG_7253.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
I try not to shift any other way. The six-speed coupe this knob came out of was a real treat. Styling aside, the v6 Accord is a little better in every way, but I miss turning back to catch one last glimpse as I walked into my destination. I still enjoy my automatic sedan, though, and the Legend coupe lives on with an older gentleman in Texas, albeit with a less nice shift knob.
View attachment 531510
Geez… your Accord coupe is in ridiculously good shape!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
940 Posts
It’s a Honda accessory, so no experience like the one I described, 😂

I don’t remember what car it was, nor what brand of steering wheel wrap - but it had some play to it, which might explain how my hand and forearm came to reside between cover and wheel! lmao
Yeah, I always try to go with genuine Honda products. This one's even officially licensed by them.
As for your experience, it's possible they might've chosen the wrong size. There were instructions and measurements on the cardboard insert that said this will fit most, but not all steering wheels, and to make sure to measure the steering wheel before use. Kinda oddly particular directions, but I can see why.

·
Turbo lag
1,629 Posts
Went to autocross yesterday. Turns out, I'm a pretty lousy driver, need more seat time with the car, and maybe summer tires. I was one out of three Accords there, there was a 9th gen 6-6, and ScootyPuffJr's 8th gen 6-6.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I proceeded to completely remove the feckin thing from the wheel and tossed it in the back seat! It ended up on top of a rear passenger's head... The remainder of my drive was a joy, with my hands in direct contact with a factory steeringwheel
Can you imagine the lack of grip with these types of covers? At least Ash's is probably one of the grippiest you'll find.

·
Turbo lag
1,629 Posts
Reactions: dgates01

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
940 Posts
Went to autocross yesterday. Turns out, I'm a pretty lousy driver, need more seat time with the car, and maybe summer tires. I was one out of three Accords there, there was a 9th gen 6-6, and ScootyPuffJr's 8th gen 6-6.

I like the sound of your turbocharger, it's awesome!

And that looks really fun, but I don't think I have the steering capability yet to maneuver one of those courses! They'd probably have to have someone behind me picking up some of the cones 😂😂😂

·
Turbo lag
1,629 Posts
I like the sound of your turbocharger, it's awesome!

And that looks really fun, but I don't think I have the steering capability yet to maneuver one of those courses! They'd probably have to have someone behind me picking up some of the cones 😂😂😂
Thanks! It was really fun, it's an extremely inclusive and positive community who welcomes new comers. I'm sure your local region would love to have you.

Reactions: Ash051 and dgates01

·
2010 2.4EX
596 Posts
Can you imagine the lack of grip with these types of covers? At least Ash's is probably one of the grippiest you'll find.

View attachment 531583
Ash's was a Honda accessory, so it probably felt built like it belonged there.

Whatever was on the steering wheel of what I drove was not vehicle specific, and was a front yard or swimming pool incursion waiting to happen, lol!

·
Registered
979 Posts

Very, very cool, @Hudouc . Thanks for sharing your experiences!

·
(Ken)
'09 6-6 Accord Coupe
74 Posts
Thanks! It was really fun, it's an extremely inclusive and positive community who welcomes new comers. I'm sure your local region would love to have you.
Looks great! How'd you fare in your class and against the other Accords? I feel like a v6 wouldn't do too much for your competitors on an auto-x course. I always loved the camaraderie on the paddock. I haven't been in ages, but you've reminded me to miss it.

·
Turbo lag
1,629 Posts
Looks great! How'd you fare in your class and against the other Accords? I feel like a v6 wouldn't do too much for your competitors on an auto-x course. I always loved the camaraderie on the paddock. I haven't been in ages, but you've reminded me to miss it.
I did pretty bad in my class, the only car I was able to out run was a 370Z with the 7AT. Both gen 6-6 did great on the track, they are about 3sec ahead of me (about 35.5- 36sec/lap). They are both only modified with a catback exhaust, coilovers, and tires. The 6-6 are on par with stage two Civic Si, Veloster N, WRX, S2000, etc.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
940 Posts
PSA: brood X is finally dying off! 🥳
So today I had planned another DIY detail in an attempt to remove multiple cicada gut splatters from Cinnamon's front end. It didn't work. And while I was scrubbing the hood, I noticed a wasp hive in the carport, so I hurried tf up and didn't bother drying the car or trying the new wax I picked up. I can do that later, when we get the hive removed. So that means the car's covered in water spots, but it just looks like rain, and I'm not going to drive myself crazy over it because people ride around in cars with way worse.

Anyway, I picked up one of those foam cannons a week or two ago, and they're totally great! The whole car was covered with suds in seconds. Super duper easy peasy!
DD68D79C-CEED-4095-8C3A-D54D291382F2.jpeg

27BDDDD8-672D-4EB6-B365-ECFAFEBA8E27.jpeg

So, yeah, she's still covered in bug guts. But now they're clean bug guts. I'll be shopping around for a bug remover to try next time (and if anyone has a recommendation, lemme know!). I was planning to go somewhere nice and get in a whole photoshoot, but due to the spur-the-moment cancellation of my full detail plans due to spotting the hive, and the water spots as a result, I didn't bother this time. Without further ado, here are the rest of my photos from today's wash:
AC36952A-69C7-4CCA-BD3A-595E120CB551.jpeg

(the above is arguably my favorite angle for photographing the car!)
114F0351-D00D-4C34-A159-3AEF20D79E79.jpeg

F70F3E2E-ED47-40A5-9302-B88F17A06AD7.jpeg

I hope to do the actual full job that I had planned very soon, but for today, at least my tires accidentally got cleaned! 😀

241 - 260 of 352 Posts