Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,061 Posts
I made an attempt to get rid of this gunk in my headlight, which I have determined is super light oxidation. It's the area that I usually used to miss when I would put on the sealant.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood

Fun fact: I'm allergic to mint, so I tried the cheapy toothpaste and toothbrush method, since my dentist gives out complementary mint toothpaste tubes, which I clearly have no use for.
Hand Finger Bumper Wood Vehicle door

Here we go...
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire

Did it do anything? Nah, lol.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Main point of the story: if you're ever in need of a headlight restoration, don't waste your time on this!

Anyway, as always, I followed it with a full wash and wax.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Hand Automotive lighting Wood Thumb Handwriting

Brown Liquid Water Fluid Font

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light

In other news, after noticing some of the obviously aftermarket backup cameras on the student floors in Towson's parking garage, I now understand the hype from (several) forum members about mine. If anyone was wondering, my specific model is a Crux CUL-06, and the general style is a lip mount.

·
Registered
496 Posts
lol I can appreciate the effort...we've all been there....have a great DIY solution we're excited to try, only to find out it worked about 10% as good as we hoped, or not at all. hehehe It happens to me all the time. But, best way to learn.

Meguiars Plastx works pretty darn good. Its worth the $5 or so.
I actually used it to restore my outdoor basketball hoop backboard as well.

Though, personally, I didnt try to clean my headlights. Mine had several rock chips (no cracks just chips like a windshield can have) ....and I'm picky, so I just bought a new pair. Nice and shiny and new.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,061 Posts
Though, personally, I didnt try to clean my headlights. Mine had several rock chips (no cracks just chips like a windshield can have) ....and I'm picky, so I just bought a new pair. Nice and shiny and new.
I'm thinking about doing HID later on, so I'll probably replace mine if/when I do that.

Otherwise, I can live with this since it's so light, lol!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm thinking about doing HID later on, so I'll probably replace mine if/when I do that.

Otherwise, I can live with this since it's so light, lol!
Yea that is ultra light etching, for sure. I wouldnt worry about it.

And I'd like to customize my lights...someday maybe.

This guy did his, Anzo projector lights, he did it all custom himself. This is maybe my favorite coupe....I have told him if he wants to sell it let me know.

[/MEDIA]

·
Registered
16 Posts
This morning I used Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish on all my windows/windshield. Used orange pads, it took 6 pads. I was amazed how dirty they were even after I started with a "clean" window by wiping it down with vinegar/water and then microfiber. But, the orange pads still picked up plenty of embedded dirt. And now my windows are sparkling. Windshield is great to have sparkly fresh. It removes all the water spots, light-medium scratches, and dirt embedded in the glass..it leaves your windows looking like new. Definitely worth the $20, its plenty to do multiple cars, or keep it in the detail closet.

Does this take care of tree sap? My windshields need tree sap removal...it's so annoying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Does this take care of tree sap? My windshields need tree sap removal...it's so annoying.

Thanks!
Yes, for sure. It does a great job at that.
You'll just want something with a little more cutting action than a microfiber. Like a medium detailing pad or cotton terry towel. A gentle microfiber cloth isnt enough to be effective at removing sap or old water spots on glass. It does have some medium gentle abrasives but still.

After the major stuff is gone do it once more with softer pad or microfiber. It'll leave your glass looking like see through. Like a mirror. zero water spots, 100% safe on the inside/on your tint as well. Citrus based, alcohol and ammonia free.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
437 Posts
I tried the sanding + clearcoat method on my Accord to restore the headlights, but let's just say I'm not very good at using spray paint. Didn't come out so great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So this happened yesterday

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

I recently started a job that actually has me driving in daily (a story in itself). Since my wife has a 2017 CR-V and I have gotten used to all the bells and whistles (CarPlay, nav, backup cam), I decided it was time to splurge a little on my Accord (2008). Kenwood DMX1037s. Total overkill, but why not? I'm worth it. Just some quick notes, I will do a fuller writeup in the Electrical group: Kenwood DMX1037s, I'm only running it through the factory amp (I know, I know - that will probably change soon). I'm interfacing the car via n iDatalink Maestro RR which gives me steering wheel controls and restores the display above (also supposed to retain the AUX port - not tested). I ran out the rear USB and put them in the front 12v Power adapter port.

Fixture Personal luxury car Vehicle Steering part Electric blue

I'm also installing a backup camera, but that's not quite done (ran the cable, haven't mounted the camera), though tested and working.

All in all a fun way to spend the morning of my day off work and I liked my drive into work a lot more today.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,061 Posts
I'm also installing a backup camera, but that's not quite done (ran the cable, haven't mounted the camera), though tested and working.
You're going to love the backup camera. They make everything so much easier, and mine has saved me a couple of times!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're going to love the backup camera. They make everything so much easier, and mine has saved me a couple of times!
YUP. I remember the first time I drove a car with one back in 2016 I thought "Is this really necessary?" I am not 100% to YES completely yet, but once you're used to it, yes, yes it is.

The Accord coupe of this gen does have a freakishly long/tall trunk, this will solve a lot of problems.

·
Turbo lag
1,768 Posts
Finally printed and installed the cup holder vent finisher today.

Font Electric fan Gas Audio equipment Plumbing fixture

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

I intercepted the HVAC vent for the passenger side rear seat foot well vent and redirected it to the cup holders. The ducting is 2" diameter pool vacuum hose. The clearance is pretty tight between the handbrake, shifter, and the front 12V plug, but it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Car

I've actually had the whole thing (except the finisher) running before my TX trip. The vent did a great job keeping my drinks cold (fridge temperature). If the drink has to be cooled down from room temperature, it can take about 1hr before any significant change in temperature is felt. I have also since used the vent to warm up drinks as well. Too bad you can't close the cup holder lid when there's drinks in it. I bet it could warm up or cool down drinks a lot quicker that way. I may eventually make a tall lid for the cupholder so the whole thing can be enclosed.

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts

View attachment 534158
View attachment 534159

I intercepted the HVAC vent for the passenger side rear seat foot well vent and redirected it to the cup holders. The ducting is 2" diameter pool vacuum hose. The clearance is pretty tight between the handbrake, shifter, and the front 12V plug, but it doesn't get in the way of anything.

View attachment 534160
View attachment 534161

I've actually had the whole thing (except the finisher) running before my TX trip. The vent did a great job keeping my drinks cold (fridge temperature). If the drink has to be cooled down from room temperature, it can take about 1hr before any significant change in temperature is felt. I have also since used the vent to warm up drinks as well. Too bad you can't close the cup holder lid when there's drinks in it. I bet it could warm up or cool down drinks a lot quicker that way. I may eventually make a tall lid for the cupholder so the whole thing can be enclosed.
Your work is of quality, but I must ask: why vents in your cup holders?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

View attachment 534158
View attachment 534159

View attachment 534160
View attachment 534161

Who needs a fancy Lexus when we’ve got @Hudouc to add luxury amenities to the Accord?

(Absolutely brilliant idea. Showed this to my wife- that may have been a tactical error, as she now seems to think it’s something that my Accord should have as well. 😀)

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts
Who needs a fancy Lexus when we’ve got @Hudouc to add luxury amenities to the Accord?

(Absolutely brilliant idea. Showed this to my wife- that may have been a
tactical error, as she now seems to think it’s something that my Accord
should have as well. 😀)
Again: WHY vented cupholders?

Oh, I forgot - It's 2021

·
Turbo lag
1,768 Posts
Your work is of quality, but I must ask: why vents in your cup holders?
I wanted a heated/cooled cupholder. I didn't want to use a heating element/heat exchanger for that, so the vent is my next best choice. It costed me a total of $5 to make the whole thing, and there's no electrical work, no chance of anything shorting out or catching on fire, etc.

That's pretty cool!

Although, I think a simple insulated cup will work just fine for myself, hah.
I usually carry a cooler with me on long trips trips anyways, but I just wanted my drinks to stay cold without needing me to reach over to the cooler every time. It's a like a heated steering wheel, do you really need it? No, but it's nice to have and you'd never want to give it up in the dead of winter.

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts
I just wanted my drinks to stay cold without needing me to
reach over to the cooler every time. It's a like a heated steering
wheel, do you really need it? No, but it's nice to have and
you'd never want to give it up in the dead of winter.
I guess I'm more resilient than I thought myself to be! lol

I can survive without:

• Heated/cooled seats, steering wheel, cupholders
  • Phone-interactive infotainment systems(IE CarPlay) with a big dopey touchscreen in place of a dashboard
  • Power windows
  • Power door locks
  • Back-up cameras
  • Keyfobs that sense when you are within 2-3 meters of your car, and unlock the doors, turn on the engine, adjust your seat, heat or cool the cabin, etc. (all things I have no problem doing by myself!)
  • Lanekeep, and blindspot assist? Come on, I got eyes, I got hands on the steerin' wheel!

In short, all stuff that potentially can break or go awry.

Just put me in a car with state-of-art tech from 2010 back to 2000, maybe one with a moonroof, and I'm all good! ;)

I guess that's why I drive a 2010 Honda!

·
Registered
2009 Accord V6L.
3 Posts
I just installed my VCM Tuner II which finally made its way to NZ. Seems to work a charm, no CEL, no ECO. It'll be going in for its timing belt replacement so I'll remove it for that, otherwise all is well.

And I have the same thing going on with my headlights too.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Changed the radiator cap. Something too many car owners overlook(until they have a problem) but needs to be done for proper pressure in your cooling/antifreeze system. It is a common cause of problems with your radiator...some shops are able to check the pressure that the cap is still providing. I think some people would be surprised how often a faulty cap causes problems.
About every 100k miles is a good time.

Cost about $30 for an OEM Honda one. Definitely recommend it instead of an aftermarket.

The new one is on the right in all the pics....

Goggles Sunglasses Hood Sports equipment Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Fixture

Happy Saturday! : )

421 - 439 of 439 Posts