Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
441 - 460 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sealed the paint.

Been 3 months since last seal.....cleaned it up, gave it a quick polish with Chemical Guys P4...then followed it with Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant. Amazing stuff. Leaves your stuff feeling and looking like GLASS. $40 and worth every penny. Apply it and let it dry for about 30 minutes before buffing it off. Makes my black paint on the coupe gorgeous....I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Brown Bottle Liquid Drink Fluid

Brown Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Fluid

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
What did I do today? More like “what was done to me today.” Noticed that someone must have backed into my (recently repainted) front bumper, throwing it out of alignment. I washed the car on Saturday morning and it was fine, so it must have happened after that - I’d guess Sunday, when I street parked at a town at the NJ shore.

At least the front license plate bracket stopped the paint from getting scuffed and scratched. And maybe the license plate bolts left some nice marks in their rear bumper (Is that a jerk thing for me to hope for? Yeah, you’re probably right...)

Sigh.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Window Automotive tire

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
And maybe the license plate bolts left some nice marks in their rear bumper (Is that a jerk thing for me to hope for? Yeah, you’re probably right...)
At the same time, doing something like this and not leaving a note is also a jerk thing to do, so it cancels out.

Somewhat relevant, one of my dad's coworkers' trucks was involved in a hit-and-run and his truck's tow hitch ripped the culprit's license plate off. So, no note left, but they got his plate, literally!

This is by no means an endorsement of putting tow hitches on Accords, but anyway, that really sucks.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
508 Posts
I hit someone at one point, but the front license plate sacrificed itself and the bracket prevented damage to the bumper. Other than a bent/crushed license plate, there was no damage.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,723 Posts
I blame @stiller fan for putting the hex on me when he suggested that I go tap my Accord into a pole to join in his and @TX Accord 's post-accident misery (although he did suggest that I go to Wawa to eat my feelings afterwards... which is a solid idea).
You cant go wrong with a shorti Italian sub on your lunch break with an iced coffee!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
Ah, Jersey people and Wawa... I'll never understand it. My mom goes absolutely nuts whenever she sees one.

(Some context for everyone: my mom is from New Jersey).

Signed, a Marylander who's seen like... 2.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,723 Posts
Ah, Jersey people and Wawa... I'll never understand it. My mom goes absolutely nuts whenever she sees one.

(Some context for everyone: my mom is from New Jersey).

Signed, a Marylander who's seen like... 2.
There are at least two of them in Frederick. FYI.

Signed, a Sheetz Freak.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
2010 2.4EX
752 Posts
Frederick is waaay far from me. I guess that might explain some of it!
So you're closer to the Ocean City MD end of things! As far as Jersey goes... Wildwoooooooood! My "second summer home" every August growing up. But Jersey's OC is a convent compared to Marylands! :D

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
I finally got around to cleaning my headlights. Literal cleaning, not polishing.

That sounds boring, but I got some cool photos out of it.

Here's the 3 weeks of gunk I started with:
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Here's after cleaning them off:
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive parking light

And here's after applying sealant, still wet:
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
They look great!
What did you clean them with?
Thanks!

I actually just used a damp (water) cloth with a single drop of dish soap this time, followed with a damp, soap-less cloth to remove any lingering soap residue. I use sealant to keep them clear, and the sealant traps dirt on the surface for easy removal without too much effort, so that helps a lot!

·
Turbo lag
1,835 Posts
Replaced my VTC actuator today. Took about 6hrs.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas

Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold

This is now the most expensive repair that I've done. $230 in parts alone. I did order everything from my local dealer since it's only $8 more than online and is guaranteed to arrive on time. I ordered the new revised actuator, mounting bolt, along with 4 new spark plug tube gaskets and a valve cover gasket.
I did print out the TSB for the repair, but I ended up largely following chirstfix's video and referenced the TSB only on torque values.

A tip to anyone reading this (if you are following chrisfix's video):
You'll need a second person to help you break loose the VTC actuator mounting bolt, I had to bring out a 4ft long pipe to use as a cheater bar to break it loose.
You'll need very shallow sockets and a 3/8" drive torque wrench that goes past 83lbft. The clearance between the gears and the strut tower/VSA module is much tighter than what it looks like.

Other than that, it's a reasonably easy job. I did spend an hour just to remove hondabond from the timing chain tensioner cover and the front cover. Part of the opening for the timing chain tensioner is actually behind the pulley, making it impossible to clean completely.

I had a spare VC, so I took the time beforehand to paint it red with some VHT wrinkle paint.

Edit:
Oh, a 23mm open end wrench is also needed to hold the cam in place while the cam gear bolt is removed or installed. I didn't have a wrench that big and had to use an adjustable wrench (embarrassingly).

441 - 460 of 473 Posts