Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

What did you do to Your 8th gen today?

158K views 2K replies 143 participants last post by  Hudouc 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to do Something to my Accord so why not Plasti Dip. Just finished it today.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda accord Sedan

See less See more
#499 ·
Whenever-I-feel-like-it oil check:
Hood Motor vehicle Gesture Automotive design Automotive exterior

Removed some dirty rain spot marks with a waterless wash and followed that up with headlight sealant, as always:
Bottle Liquid Food Fluid Plastic bottle

(Wearing gloves and having a tight grip are both so so SO important for this!)
Orange Sleeve Jacket Gesture Collar

And lastly, made an appointment with Safelite to get this fixed... at home, and the day before Thanksgiving!
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

#501 · (Edited)
Oil change, tire rotation, new cabin & air filters, and new headlights (the old ones were factory original, and while I don't typically replace parts proactively, the long, dark, deer-infested roads I have to take home from work make me want to ensure I'm not driving with a burned out bulb).

As the miles continue to accrue, this car continues to impress by needing (for the most part) only routine maintenance, and still driving like the day I bought it.

#504 ·
I wonder outside of an Acura or Lexus if I can get such a low maintenance yet fun enough car to drive.

The oil change on the Accord is even easier than on my previous '02 Civic, whose filter was not as accessible.

I keep telling myself that my next car will be a BEV but I think I'll drive all our three vehicles ('12 CT200h, '16 RAV4 Hybrid) into the ground (or at least when upkeep becomes too expensive but then I know a trust-worthy mechanic about 60 miles from where I live) before adopting a BEV. Makes the most sense financially and BEVs are over-rated anyway especially with Li-ion batteries that most likely won't last longer than our Accord powertrains.

Swapped to winters two Saturdays ago and drove it to Walmart yesterday to pick up some ice cream and paper towels lol. Still drives really well.

#502 ·
Little bit of maintenance here too. We noticed my right brake light was out on Tuesday, so I got the bulb replaced. I also finally got my windshield wipers replaced, and got a pre-winter oil change while I was there.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

After having a horrible experience at another dealership over the summer, I was very happy to be back at my usual one! 😊

#503 ·
I think the first time my Accord had a blown brake light I had the dealership replace it because I was still in warranty so I figured why not. After that I saw how simple it was and did it myself in the future.

#507 ·
I don't think car manufacturers are intentionally making new ICE cars less reliable to push us all to electric, but I do think some of the greener technology and parts are causing it, at least in part. For example, CVT's get incredible fuel economy, so they're becoming increasingly more common, but some common brands of CVT (like Jatco) are horribly unreliable and fail all the time. But they continue to be put into new cars because they get much better fuel economy than a (better built) conventional automatic. We also have more technology in cars than ever before for both cabin comforts and safety features, and we all know how technology likes to bug out sometimes. New cars are basically a computer on wheels (they sort of always have been, but now more than ever).

I won't be going electric until it's the only thing available. EV's still have a long way to go before they're actually sustainable, and because of that, I don't really consider them a permanent solution to climate change, they're just a stepping stone (for now, at least).

#517 · (Edited)
Rotated the tires during lunch and installed a little containment unit that I designed to catch the very minor oil mist that was coming from the valve cover vent.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Vehicle

Also discovered that my PS return line where it meets the hardline is visibly wet. I’m gonna try tightening that clamp first.

#518 ·
Filled the tank. I squeezed an extra 50 miles out of this past tank, putting me at around 24 MPG, a nice increase over my previous 20 MPG. Somebody had stuck a couple of political stickers on my favorite pump too, and while I won't post those, I did find them pretty amusing while I stood at the pump.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Also stopped by a local car wash on my way home. The Maryland people freaked out about snow potential last Wednesday (snow which never arrived, for the record...), so I got stuck commuting to school on freshly salted roads last Tuesday. The car wash is touchless and has an undercarriage washer, which I appreciate in the winter.
Car Vehicle White Speedometer Light

But besides the undercarriage wash, Cinnamon always comes out of that wash looking spectacular!
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

#519 ·
Did you have any issues with the weather yesterday?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#522 ·
red seat covers for 120 off ebay , gunna give this car one last hooya

one last run on this one 172k

snaked tie wire under the seats so its a super tight fit

ordered these jawns, check the join date though 2008 in the house!!!

Attachments

Reactions: dgates01
#524 ·
What part of Philly are you from? [emoji38]
The part where they have a slightly lower chance of not being shot. [emoji88][emoji85][emoji86][emoji87][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ninjaseal
#526 ·
real funny guys, tbh i dont even like the red , i just ordered them to cover the rips on the sides of my seats, i was gunna go with the black ones , but i said what the hell , lets get the red, and the headliner covered the messed up ceiling, u think i wanna waist money on this crap

funny philly jokes

Reactions: stiller fan
#529 ·
I like your wheels. They fit the car perfectly.

Reactions: DerekWildstar
#530 ·
Thanks! In a moment of boredom, I was actually toying with the idea of replacing them with the HFP 18s, but a couple of sage members on here talked me out of it. I think you’re right - they fit the car well. In the spring, I’m going to get them refinished (I bought the car at 42k, and the previous owner was a Curb Rash Hero).

#539 ·
Not that I have any pictures but I officially opened up the wallet guys. It was either this, or buy a new car and start from scratch, so I decided to do the following:

P2R is building me a full blown 3624cc j35 z6 engine to drop into my car. fully blueprinted and balanced. j37 crank, traum 89.5mm pistons, p2r rods
- custom heads, cnc ported and all the goodies, lifters, springs, guides, retainers... the works
-11.5:1 compression
  • custom camshafts
  • new final drive gear for the addition of the oem LSD
  • new clutch

engine is going to be shipped over to me in canada (block and head assembly) all ready to go

80% paid for ... remainder paid once build is complete

J37 Manifold I just sent out to get separated and port and polished. J37 throttle body is getting bored out, Manifold, top plate and throttle body are getting powder coated (Should have it 2-3 weeks)

2 days ago I bought the Seicane gps unit for the interior (should have it by the end of the month)

yesterday I bought a full custom carbon fiber steering wheel. (should arrive end of the month)

EDIT: today Jan 11 ordered the 13" rear brake upgrade. Contemplating doing the front brakes but don't wanna add any extra weight to the front wheels as that will hurt my drag times.

That's how you break the bank boys. Only live once F it.

We expect this set up to make 360-380 whp after proper break in and tune. P2R said they have a very similar build and they got 368 on the dyno.

But either way this car will be well past 400HP at the crank.

When things start coming in I'll toss up some pictures. Engine will be done in march/april. P2R said late FEB but if it's all done by april I will still be a happy camper. Then it's drag racing time.

Finally I'll be snatching some superlite front rims

Next year I will likely be dealing with making the exterior mint, but we will see if it's worth it.

#540 ·
Ran out of rental car benefit couple days ago. 10th gen still at body shop over two months, no replacement radar sensor due to supply chain crisis. 8th gen is daily driver again.

#541 ·
I drove her for the first time since last year!
* ba dum tss *
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light

We had a good amount of snow last week, and I thought I had managed to avoid most of the salt since I hadn't been driving and it rained all day yesterday, but management for the shopping center I work in decided to personally salt their parking lot. Not a bad idea, but... -sigh-
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

#544 ·
So much for the crush washers that Amazon said would be a perfect fit for the oil drain plug. I should've left the old washer on and simply placed the Amazon one over it to check the size before I pried off the old one. When this one gets crushed down, will it fill in the gap? I thought they were supposed to be nice and snug on the bolt even before tightening it.

Eye Door Wood Automotive tire Grey

Attachments

#546 ·
Gps just came in. However with no manifold on the car for the next couple weeks, no garage and it being -10c I am not likely to install it for at least a couple months.

The unit I bought is for the 8th gen with factory Navi FYI guys. This supposedly is going to work without incident. I have checked with another member on here that did the swap successfully and I have also been in contact with Seicane and they've assured me this will work for the 8th gen with factory navi.

I didn't take it all out of the box because I didn't wanna put it all back in the box neatly as it's being store till the spring. But if you look at the photo, that is apparently the one we need (there are two or three that work but this is the newest one for the factory navi (the wiring harness they said they have also verified/tested and said it would work with the car and be plug and play without cutting of any wires) however all of this remains to be seen.
Audio equipment Font Material property Gadget Gas

One thing I noticed is they provide a gps antenna but I will be seeing if there is a way to retain the factory gps antenna when I get around to the install.

This gps system along with the new carbon steering wheel will be done when the weather gets better. The priority until spring is to get the new engine and trans work done before weather gets better and then focus on the smaller fun stuff.

When I do get around to the install, I'll definitely be making some videos.

#547 ·
Gps just came in. However with no manifold on the car for the next couple weeks, no garage and it being -10c I am not likely to install it for at least a couple months.

The unit I bought is for the 8th gen with factory Navi FYI guys. This supposedly is going to work without incident. I have checked with another member on here that did the swap successfully and I have also been in contact with Seicane and they've assured me this will work for the 8th gen with factory navi.

I didn't take it all out of the box because I didn't wanna put it all back in the box neatly as it's being store till the spring. But if you look at the photo, that is apparently the one we need (there are two or three that work but this is the newest one for the factory navi (the wiring harness they said they have also verified/tested and said it would work with the car and be plug and play without cutting of any wires) however all of this remains to be seen.

One thing I noticed is they provide a gps antenna but I will be seeing if there is a way to retain the factory gps antenna when I get around to the install.

This gps system along with the new carbon steering wheel will be done when the weather gets better. The priority until spring is to get the new engine and trans work done before weather gets better and then focus on the smaller fun stuff.

When I do get around to the install, I'll definitely be making some videos.
Let us know how it works out, and include pics. I haven't actually seen any pics of this in an 8th Gen. Even Seicane's own before and after is just a photoshop.

Vehicle Car Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#549 ·
HAHAHAHA. I know right. As I said before I did send them a photo of my dash and specified it has the factory navi. But I gotta basically sit on this thing till April before the weather is good enough to get cracking on it. I don't want to try and remove interior trim pieces in the super cold as things can break that otherwise would have no issue

#552 ·
I can understand waiting until it's warmer, but what if it doesn't do what they say it will, and then it's too late to return it?

It’s actually a neat upgrade, as it doesn’t (completely) replace the existing deck - just the OEM upper display screen. I wonder if it still allows one to
select CD & AUX from the factory unit buttons. As I’ve mentioned before, I won’t even RENT a car(except if mine needs major repairs) without CD playability, let alone own such.
Yes, I can see the appeal of it. That upper screen area of the 8th Gens, with the flat shelf area underneath, seems perfect for that type of device to rest on. I hope it works as intended for him.