Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Boosted Sedan
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the minor refresh and the heated debate on who likes what, lets look past this and look towards the future of the Accord - 2013 should be the next big mark for our beloved Accord and well what do people think Honda will do to keep the anticipation up - I have compiled a list of things I personally think Honda should include - feel free to add yours -

Aside from the obvious exterior and interior complete re-design here are just some thing i think would keep the Accord competitive -

1. Push button start/real keyless entry
2. 19" Wheels 18" on lower end models (and please design a nice wheel this time Honda lol)
3. Black carbon roof like that of the M3 or G37 for top fully loaded
4. Rear parking sensors standard/backup camera
5. Bluetooth in all models standard
6. Traffic navigation with weather and color lcd screens
7. Bump in HP for V6 to over 300hp
8. LEDs (taillights, front integration etc..)
9. AWD?
10. HIDs -
11. Signal style mirrors -
12. Blindspot awareness functionality like that of the Sonata

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Since the minor refresh and the heated debate on who likes what, lets look past this and look towards the future of the Accord - 2013 should be the next big mark for our beloved Accord and well what do people think Honda will do to keep the anticipation up - I have compiled a list of things I personally think Honda should include - feel free to add yours -

Aside from the obvious exterior and interior complete re-design here are just some thing i think would keep the Accord competitive -

2. 19" Wheels 18" on lower end models (and please design a nice wheel this time Honda lol)
9. AWD?
10. HIDs -
12. Blindspot awareness functionality like that of the Sonata
I personlly don't think there be much improvements (drastic ones) . What you have listed I think would all be options or high level model if at all.
Wheels, I doubt they move to that on sedan, its not eco friendly at all as there generally heavier .
I think Accord might down side a small amount , like something between Accord an TSX size .
AWD, we have Crosstour now, again doubt that option would be widespread .
I think next improvement will be in transmission tech, probably 6 speed auto from one of Acura (should really get DC auto into Honda/Acura line). On engine small improvement in mpg but nothing major, Direct injection if Honda/Acura gets it will see in Acura line first IMO, its the hand me down way .
Just remember if to much is added to Accord, that leaves less for Acura to market with unique features for its line .

·
Registered
191 Posts
I personlly don't think there be much improvements (drastic ones) . What you have listed I think would all be options or high level model if at all.
Wheels, I doubt they move to that on sedan, its not eco friendly at all as there generally heavier .
I think Accord might down side a small amount , like something between Accord an TSX size .
AWD, we have Crosstour now, again doubt that option would be widespread .
I think next improvement will be in transmission tech, probably 6 speed auto from one of Acura (should really get DC auto into Honda/Acura line). On engine small improvement in mpg but nothing major, Direct injection if Honda/Acura gets it will see in Acura line first IMO, its the hand me down way .
Just remember if to much is added to Accord, that leaves less for Acura to market with unique features for its line .
Yea I completely agree with you. The only reason the accords don't get these higher end options is because they don't want to compete with their own Acura division for sales. They're pretty much saying if you want these features why don't you just go with an Acura since that's their luxury vehicle line. Not saying its the right thing, but its just how they operate over there lol.

I would personally love the sedan to come with projectors like in the coupe and CT, if the sedan could have a Camry SE equivalent that would be awesome as well. HIDs will most likely replace halogen altogether soon. Now that Hyundai dropped that 2 liter, 274 hp Sonata Turbo that gives 35 mpg, I'm expecting something huge from Honda in terms of engine performance and fuel economy. No offense to the 2011 rims but IMO they took a step back both in the sedan and coupe, so a better thought out design would be appreciated. Traffic with nav would be nice. Remote start would require the addition of the keyless go system so you open the doors and trunk without using your key fob, which they still might want to keep in Acuras.

·
Boosted Sedan
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I should have said wishlist lol but I think its not way off to think
Honda could throw in one thing to surprise us but in reality I think
That will be the new body design

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yea I completely agree with you. The only reason the accords don't get these higher end options is because they don't want to compete with their own Acura division for sales. They're pretty much saying if you want these features why don't you just go with an Acura since that's their luxury vehicle line. Not saying its the right thing, but its just how they operate over there lol.

I would personally love the sedan to come with projectors like in the coupe and CT, if the sedan could have a Camry SE equivalent that would be awesome as well. HIDs will most likely replace halogen altogether soon. Now that Hyundai dropped that 2 liter, 274 hp Sonata Turbo that gives 35 mpg, I'm expecting something huge from Honda in terms of engine performance and fuel economy. No offense to the 2011 rims but IMO they took a step back both in the sedan and coupe, so a better thought out design would be appreciated. Traffic with nav would be nice. Remote start would require the addition of the keyless go system so you open the doors and trunk without using your key fob, which they still might want to keep in Acuras.
right, I forgot to mention a eco-boost type turbo option . I feel that if a line don't have this there going to miss out on good part of market (mpg+sport power). This is really a no brainier IMO as the tech is nothing new . Just combine small , low inertia turbo with DI .

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
What I'd like to see:

-Better build quality.
-Smaller on the outside, bigger on the inside. LESS mass.
-Sleeker styling.
-Hybrid direct injection.
-a diesel option for those that want it.
-Chain drive V6 with external water pump, with equal mileage to the J30a4, a5.
-Manual transmissions!
-brakes that are firm, direct and progressive in operation unlike gen 7 and 8 and that wear more normally. Larger, thicker rotors.
-quieter ride, without resorting to ANC
-Projector headlamps on all models.
-Options of the keyless entry, and push button start for those that want it. Why is it so hard to turn a key?
-higher res navi screen
-on 6M coupes, a suspension setup like the TL-S, an exhaust with some voice to it, and real tires

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
What I'd like to see:

-Better build quality.
-Smaller on the outside, bigger on the inside. LESS mass.
-Sleeker styling.
-Hybrid direct injection.
-a diesel option for those that want it.
-Chain drive V6 with external water pump, with equal mileage to the J30a4, a5.
-Manual transmissions!
-brakes that are firm, direct and progressive in operation unlike gen 7 and 8 and that wear more normally. Larger, thicker rotors.
-quieter ride, without resorting to ANC
-Projector headlamps on all models.
-Options of the keyless entry, and push button start for those that want it. Why is it so hard to turn a key?
-higher res navi screen
-on 6M coupes, a suspension setup like the TL-S, an exhaust with some voice to it, and real tires
Yes, Honda has slowly raised the size and weight of the civic and accord over the yrs . It really needs to bring it back down some or possibly add a model between civic an accord (but these 2 still need to be put on a diet ).

When you say Hybrid direct injection do you mean EV/gas Hybrid with DI installed or is that some newer kind of DI .
What I find interesting is for most parts it seems DI is used with combo of turbo's . I wonder if there is something with turbo that helps DI work better or its just a case of expense , as they add turbo and DI as option .

The rear brake rotors on the accord really need vented ones, what they got is just to thin IMO and probably generates to much heat that does not help wear or stopping power with fade .
I can't figure what honda is doing with regard to transmission options >MT. they seem to be removing MT slowly from line up looking at what happened in 2011 models .

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Hybrid direct injection is what Toyota uses in Lexus applications on the 3.5 V6, it's both port and DI together. Port is used at idle, and low speeds due to it being quieter, and DI at higher speeds. Using port injection also prevents the horrible carbon deposits on the backs of the intake valves that's becoming a big problem on all new DI gas engines.

All of the PCV gases and EGR accumulates on the backs, without the spray of gasoline to wash off these deposits, it has to be done manually about every 50k to 100k, depending on driving conditions and oil quality used.

I'd like to see larger front rotors, slightly thicker, dual piston aluminum calipers, and larger rear rotors, thicker. Also get away from the types of pads they use, to a slightly more aggressive compound.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hybrid direct injection is what Toyota uses in Lexus applications on the 3.5 V6, it's both port and DI together. Port is used at idle, and low speeds due to it being quieter, and DI at higher speeds. Using port injection also prevents the horrible carbon deposits on the backs of the intake valves that's becoming a big problem on all new DI gas engines.

All of the PCV gases and EGR accumulates on the backs, without the spray of gasoline to wash off these deposits, it has to be done manually about every 50k to 100k, depending on driving conditions and oil quality used.

I'd like to see larger front rotors, slightly thicker, dual piston aluminum calipers, and larger rear rotors, thicker. Also get away from the types of pads they use, to a slightly more aggressive compound.
I see maybe thats why we don't see to many DI NA , cause of this deposit issue .
I'll have to read up on that , but so with this system there a lot of redundancy . I assume there running a low pressure pump an regulator for port injection and then need the high pressure pump/DI system . like double parts .

So on these standard DI , they need to remove whole head for maintenance or they just remove IM to clean out the valves (this seems unlikely as the cleaner and deposits might go out exhaust to cats ) .

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I see maybe thats why we don't see to many DI NA , cause of this deposit issue .
I'll have to read up on that , but so with this system there a lot of redundancy . I assume there running a low pressure pump an regulator for port injection and then need the high pressure pump/DI system . like double parts .

So on these standard DI , they need to remove whole head for maintenance or they just remove IM to clean out the valves (this seems unlikely as the cleaner and deposits might go out exhaust to cats ) .

The deposit issue is for any DI gas engine, even turbos.

Way back, before the common detergent additives were put in fuel, the deposit issues were taken care of on many euro cars with walnut shell blasting with the intake off, and valves closed. It is extremely difficult to get this crap off without a physical removal method. Chemical removal would be too harsh, along with sending all that crap out the motor.

The DI system uses a low pressure pump that pushes fuel to the engine driven high pressure pump, then off to the common rail.

I see two ways to do the DI/Port hybrid setup, 2 in tank pumps, one low, one high pressure. Low for DI feed, high for port feed. Both returnless.
Or 1 high pressure, high volume pump to feed both, and a regulator/return at the DI engien mounted pump. The only problem with the second setup is that they don't want hot return fuel going back to the tank, thus increasing vapor emissions.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That's a nice wishlist, but the a lot of those items won't happen. Things like AWD and a carbon fiber roof won't happen because the return on investment for Honda simply won't justify it. The Accord isn't designed to be a sports car. No one is going to cross shop the M3 and the Accord, and very few will cross shop it with the G37. There may be a handful of enthusiasts who want a carbon fiber roof, but not enough to justify the increased development, production, and material expense. AWD might have a slightly higher return, but again not enough to justify the expense. Others will make it to the EX/EX-V6, but to expect Honda to throw things like Bluetooth, traffic navigation, and push start into all models is unreasonable when the lower end models are designed to appeal to the budget conscious. I'd rather Honda put that money into increased build quality, and save the bells and whistles for the higher end models.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
I suspect the new Accord will introduce an additional 300% plastic body increase like always.

I think it'd be nice to spend some extra time on the head unit, navigation, radio, etc, such that it's not one big stupid unit that can never be replaced. Ha. That's just gets to me. At least keep the climate control and media separate!

·
Banned
72 Posts
I would mainly like to see more HP in all engines, especially the 4cyl.
New wheels especially for NON V6 cars.
****And most of all..........MORE manual transmissions!!! It seems like Honda is force feeding automatics down people's throats now LOL
I had to special order my 2011 because I wanted it with a manual transmission, because they are so hard to get nowadays. :thmsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe, for the V6

I doubt it...I think they will stick with the setup they have now for size.

No way, carbon fiber is expensive, and those cars are made like that to keep a low center of gravity, something 95% of accord drivers could care less about.

Probably

If anything I think they will put bluetooth in the ex,(unless its already there, dont know) but not in the lowest trim. But maybe, just maybe

Color lcd, i dont know, but traffic nav and weather, yes. and they better add sports too to compete with Fords sync.

I'd say not over way over 300....305-320

Not sure. It could go either way

9. AWD?
They could add it as an option for the V6. Not the i4, someone who wants a 4 cylinder awd gets an impreza for less.

10. HIDs -
Maybe on the higher trims

I think this is the side mirrors with the little turn indicator...?

If yes, then personally I hope not, but it could be an option.

12. Blindspot awareness functionality like that of the Sonata[/QUOTE]
In the higher trims

·
The Stig's day off...
223 Posts
SH-AWD or at least a good Limited Slip Differential would be my primary wish.
Wouldn't mind if they decreased the size a little and boosted the hp/tq.
Larger front rotors and 2-piston calipers
Consistent dash illumination would be nice. It's all over the place in my 09, pick a friggin color!
Bring on the manuals. It was painful to find my 6-6. I have no desire to be force-fed an automatic, I'll move on to another manufacturer if that becomes the case.

Though one thought, they cannot keep increasing the hp/tq without changing the drivetrain. The FWD in the V6 already seems like its at max capacity. Any more and it will be wasted power (its probably wasted power already to be honest).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think the only thing Honda is really going to change is body styling. Honda already radically changed their interior so I don't see much happening there unless there is a huge swing in technology that consumers digest over the next 2 years.

They will take cues from Acura's body styling and go more aggressive as seen in the new Honda 2011 model, and the future models all directly reflect that.

I think the EX-L models (4-cylinder and V6) will have moderate improvements in technology but that has yet to be figured out based on the new waves of tech upcoming.

The base models will probably stay much the same. Honda is very conservative that way so I don't expect many changes expect a few. Whatever the consumer requests the most, expect it to be a paying option..unLESS other car companies beat them to the punch on options they will offer.:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Improved NVH... better than Camry
2. Push start button. It's easy to turn on with key.. but nowadays, sometimes we need to impress our relatives & friends...:thmsup:
3. HUD - to show off against BMW
4. HID
5. Blind spot warning
6. MPG display
7. 40/60 split fold rear seat
8. Bigger brakes
9. 6-speed auto

·
lol wut
570 Posts
1. Halogen projectors!!
2. At least a little less plastic in the interior
3. A radio without such HUGE buttons and letters. I think I can see the buttons quite fine even if the buttons weren't so big -__- Seems like they couldn't figure out what to do with all that space in that area so they just made the buttons bigger.
4. 6spd auto for sure
5. I want a windshield banner tint from factory for the LX.. I hate how it's exclusive to the EX and EX-L models only.. The flip down visors **** at blocking the sun out.
6. 60/40 split fold down seats.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts