Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Accord the other day and am looking for something to protect my bumper asap(especially here in NYC). From what I've seen "Bumper Bully" and "Parking Armor" seem to get good reviews. What do you use or what is the best one out?

Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
The bumper bully ones are by far the most aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with these.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly Im surprised that I hardly see anyone mention any of these guards on this forum. Ive had my car for a day and everytime i get to my car Im worried I will see some marks on my bumper. Is everyone avoiding it cause of the look? or is it not as important outside of NYC?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. NYC style bumper damage is rare outside of NYC. I've never lived there, but have visited. If I had to quantify it, I would say that you are probably 50-75x more likely to experience bumper dings from other vehicles in NYC, vs, for instance, Pittsburgh where I live, or anywhere else in the country.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I live in northern nj (a 10 min drive to NYC) and everyone I see with one of those bumper guards has NY plates.. Those kind of incidents generally only happen in cities.. I've never had anyone hit or scratch my bumpers. Door dings are a different story though, people just fling their doors open in parking lots. If you do happen to get one of those bumper guards, don't be that guy that drives around with the thing on all the time.. Put the guard in your trunk. The things are fugly

·
'13 Blk Coupe V6 w/nav
10 Posts
I too live in NYC so I know where your coming from. People tend to park carelessly here. I purchased a bumper bully off amazon a couple of months ago, I attached a picture to show what it looks like. Unfortunately it did more harm then good as it scuffed the paint of the rear bumper due to the straps rubbing against it during windy days.

A friend recommended I use a a rear JDM tow hook. I took his advice and purchased this:
http://www.amazon.com/Password-Rear-Hook-Universal-Fitment/dp/B007IKLC5W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380685470&sr=8-3&keywords=jdm+rear+tow+hook

It's visually appealing and it does the job as no one even dares to get close to it due to the fear of it doing some serious damage.

Attachments

·
13 Bagged Accord EXL V6
230 Posts
Same here only use it in the City.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too live in NYC so I know where your coming from. People tend to park carelessly here. I purchased a bumper bully off amazon a couple of months ago, I attached a picture to show what it looks like. Unfortunately it did more harm then good as it scuffed the paint of the rear bumper due to the straps rubbing against it during windy days.

A friend recommended I use a a rear JDM tow hook. I took his advice and purchased this:
http://www.amazon.com/Password-Rear-Hook-Universal-Fitment/dp/B007IKLC5W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380685470&sr=8-3&keywords=jdm+rear+tow+hook

It's visually appealing and it does the job as no one even dares to get close to it due to the fear of it doing some serious damage.

hmm were the scuffs visible or do u have pics of it? the tow hook looks like a good idea if it actually prevents cars from hitting the bumper (looks a little low & short). I am a little hesitant with that as I have a 2014 sport and it looks like it will get in the way of the chrome bar on the back (at least visually). Got any pics of it installed on your accord?

I use "Enddings". They are clear thick material that worked really well and pretty cheap too.

I noticed a big scratch once after leaving the dealer but I pulled the clear film up and the area underneath was perfectly fine so I didn't make a big fuss about it. They're lucky!

http://www.enddings.com/
saw these too but was wondering how effective and noticeable they were. Can you see the film over the bumper? I got a white accord

Same here only use it in the City.
Do you get the scuffs too?

·
'13 Blk Coupe V6 w/nav
10 Posts
hmm were the scuffs visible or do u have pics of it? the tow hook looks like a good idea if it actually prevents cars from hitting the bumper (looks a little low & short). I am a little hesitant with that as I have a 2014 sport and it looks like it will get in the way of the chrome bar on the back (at least visually). Got any pics of it installed on your accord?
I don't have pictures on hand but in the morning I will take pictures and post it up asap. The scuffs aren't bad. I'm sure they will buff out with the proper tools, its just something to be aware of.

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
I noticed that in most cases the person getting dinged is usually the one who causes it when backing in the space to parallel park.

·
'13 Blk Coupe V6 w/nav
10 Posts
Here are the pictures of the tow hook:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I live in NYC, I used the enddings clear material on the back bumper. I have red, you can not see the plastic, if you install it properly. Measure the width of the back bumper from the first curve down, to see the width of the material you will need. Easy to apply, just mist with water and stick it on. Squeeze out the excess liquid, and you can barely see the material

·
Registered
923 Posts

Just ordered a Black one for my Coupe. It may help, and may remind these uncaring people with a little kiss to take home with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Damage from the tow hook? It seems that it would be too low to inflict much damage.

Now; if it was on a pickup or other higher vehicle....maybe.

I guess it might not be all that aesthetically pleasing.....but it would seem that auto bumpers could be engineered with a replaceable "leading edge".....a ribbed piece that would stick out just a bit further than the rest of the bumper..... Damage that...and just go buy another one and slap it on.

Even designing it so the license plate and it's retainer was mounted down on the bumper.....they do that on the front.....

I know it's all about aesthetics....but you have to admit it's pretty silly to have a bumper that you don't dare bump with anything....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts