Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this Honda Accord 2001 v6 automatic. My car had a check engine light on and with the help of OBDII reader i was able to read the car codes. Its giving me error as p0401,p0730,p1751 -- what does these code mean? - Do I need to prepare myself for a big bill? - I am a pretty DIY guy but i have not messed with automobiles alot so I am not sure if i can fix any of them myself.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I use this car for commuting and i got it 1.5 years back from some guy off craigslist - carfax seemed clear at that time. Recent inspection(3 months ago) was cleared, with the mechanic telling me the car is in "good" shape - but i don't know when was the last time transmission fluid was changed. I got the car 2 years back at 126k miles -- it now stands at 140K. Can changing the fluid fix such an issue or is it that i need to replace the transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The p0401 code is the EGR valve/system not working properly. That will negatively affect your gas mileage. You can search the forum for the process of how to clean the valve and ports.

Don't know the other codes, but I'm pretty sure you mean you are a DIY kind of guy.

DIY- do it yourself
DUI- driving under the influence (drunk).

So I hope you aren't a DUI kind of guy. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The p0401 code is the EGR valve/system not working properly. That will negatively affect your gas mileage. You can search the forum for the process of how to clean the valve and ports.

Don't know the other codes, but I'm pretty sure you mean you are a DIY kind of guy.

DIY- do it yourself
DUI- driving under the influence (drunk).

So I hope you aren't a DUI kind of guy. Good luck.

Geez - definately DIY - not DUI -- sorry about that.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The P0401 code is EGR insufficient flow, you can remove the EGR and try to clean it, but the valves are known issues on this engine and will most likely need to be replaced

The P1751 code is shift B valve malfunction and P0730 code is gear ratio incorrect, basically these errors say your transmission needs to be pulled and rebuilt and replace the torque converter. The transmissions in these cars are also problematic and there has been goodwill extensions by Honda but not at 12 years.

You can order the parts for about $500 to $800and do it yourself, there are lots of YouTube videos that will show you how OR take to a reputable shop pay $2,000 to $2,600 for a rebuild with a warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The P0401 code is EGR insufficient flow, you can remove the EGR and try to clean it, but the valves are known issues on this engine and will most likely need to be replaced

The P1751 code is shift B valve malfunction and P0730 code is gear ratio incorrect, basically these errors say your transmission needs to be pulled and rebuilt and replace the torque converter. The transmissions in these cars are also problematic and there has been goodwill extensions by Honda but not at 12 years.

You can order the parts for about $500 to $800and do it yourself, there are lots of YouTube videos that will show you how OR take to a reputable shop pay $2,000 to $2,600 for a rebuild with a warranty.

hmmm - not a great time for the car to go out - just lost my job last week! -- I am not quite positive if i can make the changes myself but i think I will get it checked by the local mechanic and see what price he quotes me. I am not sure if it is worth to spend $2500 on this car!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A list of the trouble codes can be found in the Problems and Solutions section of this forum.
If the transmission is not slipping when it shifts, a change of fluid (or 3) would be a good place to start and might extend the transmission life. Changing fluid is an easy DIY job. Do a search here or on Youtube for more info.

Check the same places for the EGR valve cleaning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A list of the trouble codes can be found in the Problems and Solutions section of this forum.
If the transmission is not slipping when it shifts, a change of fluid (or 3) would be a good place to start and might extend the transmission life. Changing fluid is an easy DIY job. Do a search here or on Youtube for more info.

Check the same places for the EGR valve cleaning.

IF i understand the meanings of slipping correctly, it doesn't slip. What I mean is there is small jerk when it shifts between gears but otherwise there are no surprise shifts between gears.

·
2007 Accord EX-L 4D 5MT
200 Posts
Cleaning or replacing the EGR valve itself will NOT fix your P0401. The EGR flow comes up because the intake passages going to/from the EGR get plugged with carbon. Trust me, if you change your EGR you will still have the problem. This is a common problem, search for "egr flow clean" in the search window here.

There are two ways to fix it... one is the EGR tube kit, which includes another tube which you drill into the intake to create another passage for air, bypassing the clogged intake tubes.

The other way is to take apart/off your intake manifold and clean the heck out of it with pipe cleaners and spray throttle body cleaner.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The P0730 code by definition says the Honda B7XA transmission is slipping, the computer measures the speed of the various shafts and has determined that the shafts are spinning at the wrong speeds indicating slipping. Take a look at the fluid and see its condition, if it is brown and burned smelling you could change the fluid and see if that helps. If it goes on too long the Torque converter will be ruined as well. The P1751 code indicates an issue with the B solenoid valves, you could pull the solenoids and clean them and change the fluid and cross your fingers.

Here is a video showing the locations of the solenoids and other information on your transmission

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.