Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2008 accord LX-P. I’m not sure if I have the K24A2 or K24z2. I can’t find a straight answer on the net. I also want to improve performance, but I can’t find much for the K24Z2. The most I’ve found on the K24A2 is a bone stock K24A2 with a turbo, making 500hp. I can’t find anything on the K24z2, only for the Z3. Can someone tell me which engine I have and what can I do to increase performance.

thanks in advance.

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
I'm one of the few who has done something with the K24Z2. Not much love here, but really just as much performance potential as all the other K24Z motors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The LX and LX-P models have the K24Z2 engine.
Finally I got a confirmation. Thank you!

I'm one of the few who has done something with the K24Z2. Not much love here, but really just as much performance potential as all the other K24Z motors.
Thanks for the response. I’ve been looking for exhaust manifolds, full exhaust, etc and I can’t find anything that’ll fit the z2. I’m thinking of slapping a turbo on and keeping the engine bone stock, like Humble Performance did on an A2 and make 500hp. I don’t need that much power, but 400hp would be nice so I can zip by some of these quick cars with a sleeper sedan.
many suggestions on how I can beef up the z2? CAI, intake/exhaust manifold, cat back exhaust? I can’t find anything for the z2 and I have no idea which parts will fit on a z2.
Thanks!

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
The K24Z has integrated manifolds, so it doesn't do well with a NA build. Perfect for a turbo build however. Most parts that will fit in an Accord or TSX with the K24Z3 will also fit the Z2. 400hp has to be FI, no NA build can really reach that high without being a full race car.

Here's what I did:

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
156 Posts
I think the Z3 is nearly identical to the Z2. IIRC it's just tuned differently to make 190hp instead of 177?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the Z3 is nearly identical to the Z2. IIRC it's just tuned differently to make 190hp instead of 177?
Agreed. I read that the only difference is the exhaust on the z2 is more restrictive than the z3 and the rev limiter is higher on the z3, thus the z2 only hitting 177hp. I read somewhere that KTuned changed the rev limiter on the z2 to 7200 and added the z3 exhaust on the z2 and the z2 reached 190hp.

The K24Z has integrated manifolds, so it doesn't do well with a NA build. Perfect for a turbo build however. Most parts that will fit in an Accord or TSX with the K24Z3 will also fit the Z2. 400hp has to be FI, no NA build can really reach that high without being a full race car.

Here's what I did:
Thank you for the link. I started reading this last week during my search for z2 info, but paused the reading because I wasn't sure if this pertained to the z2. Great info. I'm almost done reading it.
Thanks!

I noticed in your writeup you didn't upgrade the intake manifold. Have you had any problems with the stock manifold? I assumed you probably upgraded to a skunk 2, if the skunk 2 fits the z2 application. It seems there are no bolt on performance parts, or a bolt on turbo kit for the z2, like they have for the a2. I did read somewhere any bolt ons for the K24 should fit all K24s. Did you upgrade the oil pump with a TSX oil pump? I read many people upgrade the oil pump for better oil flow, due to FI.

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
Agreed. I read that the only difference is the exhaust on the z2 is more restrictive than the z3 and the rev limiter is higher on the z3, thus the z2 only hitting 177hp. I read somewhere that KTuned changed the rev limiter on the z2 to 7200 and added the z3 exhaust on the z2 and the z2 reached 190hp.

Thank you for the link. I started reading this last week during my search for z2 info, but paused the reading because I wasn't sure if this pertained to the z2. Great info. I'm almost done reading it.
Thanks!

I noticed in your writeup you didn't upgrade the intake manifold. Have you had any problems with the stock manifold? I assumed you probably upgraded to a skunk 2, if the skunk 2 fits the z2 application. It seems there are no bolt on performance parts, or a bolt on turbo kit for the z2, like they have for the a2. I did read somewhere any bolt ons for the K24 should fit all K24s. Did you upgrade the oil pump with a TSX oil pump? I read many people upgrade the oil pump for better oil flow, due to FI.
The intake manifold holds up to boost fine. I think PRL tested the original manifold, and it can hold 12psi before it'll crack. Some do upgrade the oil pump, but you don't have to unless you are gonna rev higher. Honestly, the location of the oil filter housing on the K24Z is perfect for FI. K24s are not equal, the head design is different between the different versions. Some parts are interchangeable, many are not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The intake manifold holds up to boost fine. I think PRL tested the original manifold, and it can hold 12psi before it'll crack. Some do upgrade the oil pump, but you don't have to unless you are gonna rev higher. Honestly, the location of the oil filter housing on the K24Z is perfect for FI. K24s are not equal, the head design is different between the different versions. Some parts are interchangeable, many are not.
That’s interesting the manifold can handle up to 15psi. I was curious about the diameter, restricting the flow. I read the headers are one with the head and is best to buy an a2 and expand from there. I can widen the exhaust to 3 inches or throw on a z3 exhaust, but I still feel the header would be a bottleneck, given the size. I wonder if I could get the car to reach 350-400whp with a CAI, better intake mani, open up the exhaust, upgraded oil pump for higher rev, weight reduction, a good tune and a decent T3/T4 450hp turbo kit. Wishful thinking I guess. I honestly don’t want to do an engine swap, but I’m not sure which is worse. Frankenstein the z2, or swap out the engine.

·
Turbo lag
1,439 Posts
That’s interesting the manifold can handle up to 15psi. I was curious about the diameter, restricting the flow. I read the headers are one with the head and is best to buy an a2 and expand from there. I can widen the exhaust to 3 inches or throw on a z3 exhaust, but I still feel the header would be a bottleneck, given the size. I wonder if I could get the car to reach 350-400whp with a CAI, better intake mani, open up the exhaust, upgraded oil pump for higher rev, weight reduction, a good tune and a decent T3/T4 450hp turbo kit. Wishful thinking I guess. I honestly don’t want to do an engine swap, but I’m not sure which is worse. Frankenstein the z2, or swap out the engine.
Just go FI. This topic has been discussed to death on the Civic Si forums. The general consensus is that it's just easier/cheaper to make power with a turbo or supercharger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts