Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a question I actually asked the dealer, and didnt really get a decent answer....

I have always had spare keys hidden on my car in those magnetic boxes. I learned my lesson once, when I was out sking 3 hours away and lost my keys. Long story short, it was a pain in the bunz to get back into that car.

So my question to you guys...

Question 1: What happens if you loose your key fob? If you put a spare key fob on the car it most likely wont lock because it thinks someone is close by.

Question 2: What if your key fob dies? You can take the physical key and get into the car, but then what?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Question 1: What happens if you loose your key fob? If you put a spare key fob on the car it most likely wont lock because it thinks someone is close by.

I never lost a car key when I am on the road. Treat the key like you wallet. Mind you your car does cost +/- $25000 depending on the model. If I did lose a key I will treat it as a lesson learned and just call the place where your spare key is and have somebody drop it off to you.

Question 2: What if your key fob dies? You can take the physical key and get into the car, but then what?

In the manual it basically says, use the metal key to unlock the door and hold the fob directly on the button and then push the button to start the car. The fobs have RFID in them as a alternate which requires no battery from the fob.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

In the manual it basically says, use the metal key to unlock the door and hold the fob directly on the button and then push the button to start the car. The fobs have RFID in them as a alternate which requires no battery from the fob.
Huh, thats pretty creative. I didnt know that. Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
One thing you can do if you don't want to take your electronic key with you - say you are tubing down the river or at the beach.

Leave your keys in the car (hidden of course) and then lock the car with the physical key and take that with you. It seems to be waterproof and will be able to go places that I would not want to take the fancy key fob.

And it does work I have tried it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
One thing you can do if you don't want to take your electronic key with you - say you are tubing down the river or at the beach.

Leave your keys in the car (hidden of course) and then lock the car with the physical key and take that with you. It seems to be waterproof and will be able to go places that I would not want to take the fancy key fob.

nice, ill have to test this as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts

This is what I do when I go running. Don't want the keyfob getting immersed in my sweat. When you lock the car with the metal key it will arm the alarm and everything (and won't care if the keyfob is anywhere inside the car, including trunk).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not sure why your dealer was unable to answer your questions. But the topic has been addressed.

1. Remove the battery and hide it like you would a regular key.

2. If your key fob battery dies it has an nfc chip put the key fob up to the push start button to start the car via nfc chip.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you guys are slightly off topic for what I was originally going for.

I usually have a spare key on my car all the time hidden. So if I happen to loose the entire key (for what ever reason), I can simple go back to my car, find the hidden key, and be on my merry way.

Side note: I am curious to see if the doors would unlock if you leave the remote in the car and lock the doors manually. Thats interesting.

I guess I could put the spare key into a Faraday cage to keep it from interacting with the car normally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts