Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Honda accord that did not have its 90k and has just reached its 105k mile mark. I just have not had the $ to pay the dealership (which is the only place I have ever taken it for oils changes etc) for the maintenance. I would really like to travel from NC to MD next week for the holiday but I am afraid to drive it that far. I only drive it about 20 miles per day right now to work and home. What is absolutely necessary out of the 2 maintenance packages that I would needed prior to taking it to MD?

HELP! Please!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
The only thing required would be oil changes. You should change the sparkplugs, flush the brakes, and change the tranny fluid, but none of that is really "critical" maintenance.

And all the more reason to do maintenance stuff yourself, since labor usually ends up costing more than the parts and fluids themselves at the dealership.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Excellent answer bro

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Is your car a 4 cyl? When was the last time you changed the oil? Get it changed if its been more than 5000 miles. Other than that, I see no reason to worry given the car has been properly maintained.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oil has been changed every time the light comes on. The dealership does them for free. I just did not have the 90k maintenance done ans now it's at 105k just didn't wanto drive it if it's gonna blow up on me or anything...the dealership gave me a list with a host of things it would need for both maintenance packages...totaling over $800

And yes 4 cylinder

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Dealerships LOVE people like you. You never read your Owner's Manual. When you do, and see the maintenance required checklist (from the engineers who designed and built the car), you will become angry that you let the stealership (the guys who make lots of money off of you) charge you for made-up services such as the 72,500 mile service, the 95,000 mile service, etc. They have pre-printed "services" all ready to show you, by the way, based on your mileage. It looks official- so must be legit, right?

4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder. Do you know?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,002 Posts
At 105K, inspect and replace as necessary, but if it's never been done then replace regardless of condition:

- power steering fluid
- brake fluid
- serpentine belt
- transmission fluid
- spark plugs
- coolant

Inspect and adjust/replace as necessary:

- brakes (rotors and pads)
- brake lines
- valves
- suspension components (tie rods, bushings, ball joints, struts, etc)
- engine mounts
- CV boots
- alignment (alignment checks are usually free)
- engine and cabin filters

·
Registered
437 Posts
(sparkplugs, oil changes, replace battery, air filter, etc)...those are the ones I've been doing and I'm at 91k. I'm not too sure about the brake fluids or the power steering fluids and the time belt.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda accord that did not have its 90k and has just reached its 105k mile mark. I just have not had the $ to pay the dealership (which is the only place I have ever taken it for oils changes etc) for the maintenance. I would really like to travel from NC to MD next week for the holiday but I am afraid to drive it that far. I only drive it about 20 miles per day right now to work and home. What is absolutely necessary out of the 2 maintenance packages that I would needed prior to taking it to MD?

HELP! Please!
Gas it up and go! Your going two states north, not driving across to Cali. If you do routine maintenance then go.

Dealers are in the business of making money. That's why the huge list. At 105k replaced serpentine belt & fluids & plugs. Inspect brakes, tires replace as necessary

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Agreed, we put something together for the 7th Gen owners....$250 to do it ALL the maintenance with basic tools. So many new owners that needed a "What to do" and a "How to do it".
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145746
I've got my 6 month maintenance coming up next month (synced to June and December). Might put together a giant DIY post on how to do oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs, engine air filter, cabin air filter, and brake bleeding since I'll do it all in 1 afternoon.

/Off Topic
This weekend is already booked with trying to get my alternator pulley off and going back to OEM, and possibly removing my alternator to see if it gives me enough clearance from above to get at the AC pulley to replace. Honda says the compressor has to be removed ($400 dealership bill), but I think getting the alternator out of the way might do the trick. Doesn't seem to be any access from the side or below due to the subframe. I'll probably make DIY posts for this stuff too, although I don't think anyone will need them for at least another 5 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts