Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe, V-6 6-Speed and it has been nothing but problems for me so far. Yes, I did buy the car used, however that is not always an invitation to have a ton of things go wrong with my car. So far, the EGR valve has needed to be replaced, and I have discovered that the car is burning oil as well. Its not a serious malfunction, however tediously checking the oil every day, and adding every few days is getting to be a bother.

Anyway, I heard from my friend (who owns a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe with a four cylinder, 5 speed transmission) that he might be interested in selling it. Though he likely wont, I am interested in perusing the classifieds for another accord anyway.

Long story short, the four cylinder model seems better to me. I love that the interior is not leather, which gets cracked and degraded over time. I love that it doesn't come with any features I don't care to use, such as heated seats or automated climate control. Most of all, I love that the five speed transmission is so much smoother to drive.:thumbsup:

Anyway, what do you folks think?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you referring to the 5 speed manual or automatic? I will say that my wife's car is an '04 Accord LX 4 cylinder auto and she loves it. I love it, too, but it's not fast. At first glance, it's just a boring old family sedan, but I love it anyway. I drive a Mazdaspeed3, and have an old classic pickup so I like acceleration and fun in my vehicles, but the Accord just works perfectly.
My daily (work truck) is a late model Silverado, and I'd take that Accord any day over that Silverado- I'd take a horse most days. It takes driving a vehicle made by GM to really appreciate how wonderful that Accord is. The automatic in the Honda is ALWAYS in the right gear. We still get over 30mpg highway.
We have over 112K on the odometer and this past week was the first time we took it into a shop, mostly because I didn't have the time to mess with it.

My sister has an '05 EX V6 with all the options you said you don't care about (neither do I) and it's much faster, but FEELS heavier than our LX, also the 4 cylinder has a timing chain, so that's a plus, not so on the V6. I never got more than 25 with that V6, but I may have been pushing it more, too.

My vote is for the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think you posted this a while ago and most said to just sell the car

Whats better depends on what your preferences are. Sounds like you'd be happy with the 4 cylinder

For me, performance and having all the options is a priority. I also prefer the timing belt over the chain, partly because I do all the work on my cars, and the issues with chains I've read about dont sound like fun trying to fix them. Sometimes I think about going back to a small car, for the gas mileage and just trying something different again lol, or two wheels....but I think I'd regret selling the Accord after a short period of time

Maybe I need to start modding it so Im not tempted to switch cars again :D

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
When I was 16, I used to mock people who wanted power windows and power locks- saying "real men turned a crank and slid over to unlock a door".

Then I discovered dating...

Don't knock heated seats or power anything- it comes in handy at times and helps your resale value. Plus, this is a Honda, not a lousy GM car with 29,999 miles on the clock- one mile shy of its useful life. Honda heated seats are engineered well.

I have the 4 banger EX-L and love it. Leather cracks UNLESS you condition it once a month with a $4 spray bottle of leather conditioner and a rag. I buy one bottle every two years and it takes me about three minutes a month. Can you handle that?

As mentioned, the 4 banger has a chain not a belt- and is pretty darn easy to work on. Not lots of power but it will make you a better driver.

Life is short man. You don't like your current ride? Sell it! It's a possession- a depreciating asset. Buy a 4 banger. But do a thorough pre-inspection (if you know how) or pay $80 for a Honda dealer to do it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Personally, I like my 6 cylinder better than the 4. But that's just my opinion. If you are okay with a little less power in exchange for a little better gas mileage then the 4 cylinder is better for you. Also, I agree with your assessment of cloth over leather. I wish I could have gotten my EX-L with cloth but I don't think there was a choice with that model.

As far as should you sell it, I would go with what we said here:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80583

·
Ken
302 Posts
I very much prefer my V6 over the 4 cylinder. While I have nothing against 4 cylinders in general, I have to say this 4 is just a little lacking for our Accords. The cars could use a little more oomph considering their weight, and if the the 4 were closer to 200 hp I really would have considered it more over the 6.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really do love the power I get with my V-6 engine! It feels fantastic! That being said.. I really do like simplicity. My friends car is a 2004 Accord Coupe EX 5 speed manual and it is ideal. I wish I could find one online for sale.

I am just so thankful my car is not the EX-L, being a man of simplicity doesn't involve a navi :lmao:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Seems the 03-04's are prone to little things. In the short time I had my 03, I replaced the display above the Navigation screen, and the A/C blower transistor. No big deal for me as I do all repairs on my cars and just pay for parts, and I know early years of a generation will have their issues. No oil burning and the Navi screen worked fine. Bought it with 120k something miles, so I dont know how much the previous owner fixed or replaced

Only the 03 required me to repair or replace things. Never had anything go wrong with the last 3 Accords

What else has gone wrong with your car, besides the EGR and trunk issue?

·
Registered
804 Posts
i have a 2005 v6 ex-l and so far "so issues". The power of the v6 is very nice. i never worry about merging onto a highway... it does have a timing belt that needs replaced once every 105,000 miles or 7 years. so its not like you are doing it every 3 years or something...
as far as feature you couldnt Give me a stripped down accord.... no way.. once you eat steak, why would you want hot dog? My climate control is great! i dont set it to a red or blue setting.. i set it to a Exact temp..... and if its colder than that temp out side it turns the heat on.. if its warmer, than it knows to turn the a/c on.. how could anyone NOT like something as simple as that.. i never have to mess with it.. i also have traction control and power sunroof .. i dont use a drop of oil between my oil changes and on a highway i average between 28-31 mpg. depending on road conditions and what not.. (hills-mountains etc) The main thing i like about the v6 is that Torque...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The GenVII Accord 6-6 coupe.....................

............at least for this sailor: sets the bar way up there.

1. At 135,000: 4 issues (3 under factory 3/36000 warranty - power window regulator replaced twice + engine code for coolant sensor). VTEC pressure switch small leak - replaced out of warranty ($175).

2. Love the 5.9 0-60, the unreal freeway fuel numbers and the off the showroom floor cost of $23.4 (plus tax/license/dork).

Regret that yours tells a different story

Sell it.

ez

·
Registered
113 Posts
Change the pcv valve and hope for the best on clearing up the oil issue.Fixed my oil burning problem in 5 minutes.PCV's are a maintenance idem on most cars.If you see a lot of oil in the intake that could be the issue.There is a way to test it but a quick look will give an indication if it's bad.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
My 03EXV6 auto sedan has been great, for 110k miles now. I was able to change my own timing belt, and do all my own maintenance, and I'm no mechanic. The V6 has spoiled me for the power and especially the smoothness. I had a 4 cylinder Accord before this one, and I don't think I could go back to a 4 cylinder without regrets. It burns no oil, and gets 23mpg around town. The biggest gripe I have about this car, was the original paint job (peeling clear coat). The check engine light has never been on, and I'm not even sure where it is in the cluster. But hey, if the car is giving you problems, and you think you would be happy with the 4 cylinder, go for it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
V6 burning oil? That seems odd.

Get the 4! It's cheaper to maintain and better on gas.

·
We owe Mr. Soichiro Honda
114 Posts
+1 for the 5spd manual if that is indeed what you are looking at. Fun every once in a while to wind er up and burn some rubber! Note the second gear scratch in the video!:biggrin: The manual tranny makes the I4 come alive a bit.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I also prefer the timing belt over the chain, partly because I do all the work on my cars, and the issues with chains I've read about dont sound like fun trying to fix them.
This is a first... preferring a belt over a chain? I assume the the issues you have read were about the timing chain "stretching", in which case the owner probably wasn't changing the oil or let the engine run low on oil.

I purchased the i4 back in 08', back when gas hit $4.50 and have never regretted it. I've never had to worry about timing belts, expensive valve adjustments, spark plug ejections and the dreaded auto transmission issues. I've got also got more than enough power when I need it. The most expensive item I've replaced on this 03 was the oxygen sensor for roughly 70 bucks. That was back in 08'.

·
Registered
840 Posts
This is a first... preferring a belt over a chain? I assume the the issues you have read were about the timing chain "stretching", in which case the owner probably wasn't changing the oil or let the engine run low on oil.

I purchased the i4 back in 08', back when gas hit $4.50 and have never regretted it. I've never had to worry about timing belts, expensive valve adjustments, spark plug ejections and the dreaded auto transmission issues. I've got also got more than enough power when I need it. The most expensive item I've replaced on this 03 was the oxygen sensor for roughly 70 bucks. That was back in 08'.
I've owned other makes of cars with chained I4s and never really worried, but it seems there are quite a bit of threads out there about Accord timing chain issues, and oil burning. Having already done a timing belt on a 7G V6, I no longer think its a "big job". Same goes for valve adjustments, and making sure the spark plugs are tight takes only 5 minutes. Helps being in the auto repair field, having access to any tool or piece of equipment, and being your own mechanic. The word "expensive" for me does not apply to labor, just parts :) That still doesnt mean I want to mess with changing a timing chain assembly

As for transmission, I drive a 6-speed so no worries about issues, and if driven lightly it should get close to I4 gas mileage, with a lot more power when you need it

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I've owned other makes of cars with chained I4s and never really worried, but it seems there are quite a bit of threads out there about Accord timing chain issues, and oil burning. Having already done a timing belt on a 7G V6, I no longer think its a "big job". Same goes for valve adjustments, and making sure the spark plugs are tight takes only 5 minutes. Helps being in the auto repair field, having access to any tool or piece of equipment, and being your own mechanic. The word "expensive" for me does not apply to labor, just parts :) That still doesnt mean I want to mess with changing a timing chain assembly

As for transmission, I drive a 6-speed so no worries about issues, and if driven lightly it should get close to I4 gas mileage, with a lot more power when you need it
My last few cars have had timing chains, including a modded Infiniti Q45 with a beastly V8 - and titanium valves... so I know what having real power is. I do miss it sometimes but there was never a "need".... just the fun factor. I get a lot fewer tickets now. :) The i4 has more than enough power to merge onto highways, passing, etc.

As you know, if the motor is taken care of, you'll never need mess with the chain. Also, if the i4 is kept up with oil changes and good oil level, it will most likely burn little or no oil. I'm like you, garage full of tools and always willing to get dirty. My Accord has been to the dealer a total of one time and that was to have the free seatbelt buckle and other recalls done. It was at that point that they talked me into the valve adjustment.

If I were to buy a V6 accord though, it would be like yours 6-6. Again, what are these timing chain issues you speak of. Stretching?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Stretching, tensioners, guides, Check Engine Lights. I dont have a lot of experience doing timing chain work on other cars so thats part of the reason why I'd steer away from it. More comfortable and confident doing belts. But mainly its due to just wanting/liking more power. I've always enjoyed fast/peppy vehicles. Started many years ago with American gas guzzling, although not so reliable V8's, then I went thru a phase where I was content driving smaller, slower cars. Now I discovered a good combination of power, gas mileage, and reliability in the Accord V6. I drive above the speed limit all the time and like to get there quick. lol. Helps that the Accord coupe, especially the 7.5G, is so very sexy :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts