Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 EXL-v6 with Nav
All I want is the best remote start for my application.
I don't care about a phone app, anti theft, glass break alarm etc, motion sensor, etc, etc. I just want a simple remote start, smallest, easiest to use fob, car shut off upon opening door is fine. which is best for me? Best installation shop around 20646 is a plus :thmsup: Or take to dealer to sub out?

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I've always used Viper for the last 20+ years. There are 5 cars in the driveway, everyone of them has a Viper remote start. Personal preference is 5704. Excellent range, plenty of channels for upgrade if needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
Check out Viper or any of the other Directed brands. I like Viper because I prefer their remotes over the others. They are all the same though.

Since you just want basic remote start, I would go with
http://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4115v/viper-basic-1-way-remote-start-system

It's a one way unit so you won't get any confirmation from the car. You can step up to LED or LCD 2 way if you want confirmation when you remote start.

You will also need an immobilizer bypass module for the installation. Most people go with the DBALL from XpressKit. There are other brands but I've only used that one.

Make sure to pick an authorized reseller or any warranty from Directed will be void. I usually just buy them online for a lower price and installed them myself since I have gotten fairly good at installing them now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love compustar remote starters and alarms. Thats what I had in my 8th gen and all my previous cars. To bad they couldn't make it work in the 9th well when it first came out.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
So viper doesn't come with the immobilizer? No "one stop shopping"?

Thanks

Since there are dozens of different immobilizer bypass, it would difficult to have an all in one that would do many different manufacturers.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
I have the avital 5303 lcd two way install by a professional I know for 300 bucks

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
So viper doesn't come with the immobilizer? No "one stop shopping"?

Thanks
Actually there is a new one from Xpress Kit called XpressStart One. It's is made by Directed. You can get either a Viper, Clifford, or Python remote.

This unit is an all in one system with immobilizer bypass built in. It is new so I don't know if many installers carry it yet. I got it on eBay and did the install myself. It's easier than doing a RS + Bypass since there a fewer wires.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
107 Posts
Has anyone seen this option?

It works with the factory remote. No extra fobs to carry.

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
It's not really integrated. Viper remote starters (if not all) can be programmed to activate by negative pulse. In that case 3 pulses from the lock signal.

The newer ones have a feature called 3X lock to start. I don't think the Honda firmware allows it though because once the car is started the Honda FOB doesn't work so you can't remote unlock or shutdown. You are also limited by range and if the system is 2-Way, you give up that feature.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
I have a Viper 5704 with all the modules and shit, and to be honest, I've never had a single problem with it. I can start my car from one side of my campus, and my car is nice and warm by the time i get to it. I have friends with OEM remote starters, and the range just isnt there. This thing is a gem. I would go for the 5704 because it will have the standard lock/unlock, and remote start functions, and down the road if you like, you can upgrade it and get the modules to upgrade the security system

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Viper 5704 with all the modules and shit, and to be honest, I've never had a single problem with it. I can start my car from one side of my campus, and my car is nice and warm by the time i get to it. I have friends with OEM remote starters, and the range just isnt there. This thing is a gem. I would go for the 5704 because it will have the standard lock/unlock, and remote start functions, and down the road if you like, you can upgrade it and get the modules to upgrade the security system

I agree!

This is what I have...

http://www.viper.com/car/securityre...er-lcd-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system

no issues and love it right now in the cold weather!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont have one but Viper and Clifford (same thing) are highly recommended.
More important is to ask how they install. A local company here who are very good at what they do, do not use bypass modules which means all the security features your car came with will still work when they're done.
A bypass module means they are bypassing some or all of the factory security features. Not a great idea imo.

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
I dont have one but Viper and Clifford (same thing) are highly recommended.
More important is to ask how they install. A local company here who are very good at what they do, do not use bypass modules which means all the security features your car came with will still work when they're done.
A bypass module means they are bypassing some or all of the factory security features. Not a great idea imo.
There is no way to install a remote starter without a bypass module unless they are leaving a key in the car and that is defeating the security of the car.

A bypass module is only active during remote start. If someone happens to have a key cut and not programmed they still can't start the car. If a key is left in the car then anyone can start it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I spoke to the guy before xmas and that's what he told me, they dont use bypass modules like others do. He said it can be harder but his guys are used to it by now. This guy has been in the biz for a looong time and is highly respected here. I doubt they are using the key in the car method but that does make sense. If I speak to them again I'll ask. Other than that I cant give technical details on what they do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts