Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity what is the expected life of the CVT? The '22 EX-L 1.5t we just purchased has the CVT. We bought the car as a daily to work for the 2 of us. Hope to never have the kids in it. We also have the 100k warranty so I won't be modifying anything as I've read the stories here about tunes still being traceable. Anyway, I know ours is the last year of this Gen & figure there's plenty of miles on some CVTs.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just out of curiosity what is the expected life of the CVT? The '22 EX-L 1.5t we just purchased has the CVT. We bought the car as a daily to work for the 2 of us. Hope to never have the kids in it. We also have the 100k warranty so I won't be modifying anything as I've read the stories here about tunes still being traceable. Anyway, I know ours is the last year of this Gen & figure there's plenty of miles on some CVTs.
Honda's CVT is pretty robust as long as you don't tune the engine, use the car for drag racing, or anything like that. As you mentioned, the CVT has been around for a while (since 2013 in the Accord I believe)... and there are very few complaints about CVT issues among owners. Follow the maintenance minder and it should last a very long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I just bought the same one in white last week. My experience as far as CVTs go has been positive. My daughter's car is a 2013 Accord, purchased with 73k on the odometer. Presently, it is at 106k+ and there have been no issues. Also, we had a 2015 CR-V since new and traded it in with just over 100k with no transmission issues at all (and it wasn't babied either). Proper maintenance is the key.

·
Registered
291 Posts
While some companies like Nissan make a problematic CVT, Honda makes one of the best, if not the best. I had them in my 2015 Accord coupe and 2020 Accord Sport. I loved them and had absolutely no problems with them. If you drive gently, don’t abuse them as well as change transmission fluid on time, you should have no problems.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
176 Posts
The CVT in the Accord is pretty fantastic in terms of performance and reliability. Premature failures are rare, but I'm sure some units do still fail within the warranty period. If you make it outside of the warranty period without issues (nearly everyone does), and you've been on top of the servicing, you're probably going to get a really long life out of the original unit.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I was reluctant to buy a CVT but a manual meant the sport package and low profile wheels or the 10 speed auto which (when I was shopping) had various sour comments about behaviour.

I don't regret getting the CVT - time will tell. I took an extended warranty in any case because: CVT, turbo and general higher complexity of the 2018 model.

3 years in and no major complaints.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was reluctant to buy a CVT but a manual meant the sport package and low profile wheels or the 10 speed auto which (when I was shopping) had various sour comments about behaviour.

I don't regret getting the CVT - time will tell. I took an extended warranty in any case because: CVT, turbo and general higher complexity of the 2018 model.

3 years in and no major complaints.
Same as far as warranty on those major parts.
I only asked bc in general Honda has a great reputation for transmissions. I've owned a '92 Accord, '03 Civic, '07 Accord & '15 Pilot. None ever had any problem but they weren't CVT so new world for me.

Yeah car is "babied" in order to get the most mpg. The car is plenty fast for daily duty but maybe once 100k hits I'll think of PRL, Hondata etc

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeah car is "babied" in order to get the most mpg.
Me too generally, but driving so little these days that I take the car out for a VTEC cycling every few weeks:

CVT in "S" and wind it up past 5000 RPM to move the VTEC parts and oil around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, a CVT is not a performance transmission. I can't help Subaru made a mistake and put it in the WRX. Not my fault. For a regular family sedan like an Altima, Accord, Civic, Maxima, etc... Something with fairly low horsepower, a CVT is great. It can be sporty and responsive. It can also be fuel efficient. As long as you do fluid changes and not constantly rag on it like you would an actual racecar (keeping RPMs high all the time), it should have a happy long life. Honda's CVT is an exception though. Honda's CVT seems to be nightmare free. Some other manufacturers struggle with reliability of their CVT.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Just out of curiosity what is the expected life of the CVT?
The biggest gripe over the CVT is that it isn't a manual. This is a pretty big forum, and I can't say I've come across that many failure posts. I'll make up some numbers from memory if that helps. Let's say I recall seeing a single thread about a failed manual transmission, and maybe 3-5 threads or individual users complaining of problematic or defective CVTs. Given that the CVT far outnumbers the manual transmission, I could argue that based on my super limited sample size, the CVT is statistically more reliable than the manual. to take it further, we KNOW the manual is highly reliable, so that suggests that the CVT must be pretty rock solid.

Change your fluids, don't tune it for any more power than what the Civic Si produces with a CVT, and you should be golden. You're probably 5-10x more likely to sell or total the car before the transmission fails as a new buyer. Second hand owners are a different story, but the rules still apply, just take care of the damn thing.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord EXL 2.0
169 Posts
For what it is worth my friend has an 2013 Accord with the CVT going strong at 250,000 miles. He is very meticulous when it comes to his cars so I am sure he has changed the fluids according to the maintenance schedule.

·
CVtwo
‘21 Sport 2.0T
65 Posts
There’s really nothing fun about a CVT on the Hondas but I’ll tell you this much, they’re pretty damn well built for the everyday road warrior

·
Registered
480 Posts
While some companies like Nissan make a problematic CVT, Honda makes one of the best, if not the best.
I am one of the lucky ones who had a very reliable Nissan CVT. I am proud of my Maxima and will always mention it when I can since I am here because my Maxima died on me amd I replaced it with a Accord.

I bought my 2008 Nissam Maxima with CVT brand new in 2008. I drove that car very fast and hard from day 1. I maintained it very well just like I am currently maintaining my Accord and I changed the CVT fluid quite often than Honda recommends. The car last me 12 years and I put over 268,000 miles on it before it died on the freeway where the CVT went out. I sold it like that on Craigslist for $1,000.

I bought my 2020 Honda Accord to replace it and I hope my Honda will beat my Maxima in miles before it dies on me. Especially as I am driving my Accord more gentle and careful than I have ever babied any car in my life because I hypermile in city driving.
For what it is worth my friend has an 2013 Accord with the CVT going strong at 250,000 miles. He is very meticulous when it comes to his cars so I am sure he has changed the fluids according to the maintenance schedule.
I was also very meticulous in taking care of my Maxima the same way I am very meticulous with my current 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid. I drive a lot and put a ton of miles on my car. So, I do well to maintain. it very well because I would hate for the car to leave me stranded somewhere. So, I hope my own Accord gives me over 300,000 miles. Besides, I change my transmission fluid was too often than Honda recommends.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why is this needed? Isn't it damaging for the engine to be driven so hard?
No. As stated: sedate driving doesn't activate the VTEC. Winding up periodically exercises those parts and moves the oil around those parts.

·
Honda Newb
193 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, a CVT is not a performance transmission. I can't help Subaru made a mistake and put it in the WRX. Not my fault. For a regular family sedan like an Altima, Accord, Civic, Maxima, etc... Something with fairly low horsepower, a CVT is great. It can be sporty and responsive. It can also be fuel efficient. As long as you do fluid changes and not constantly rag on it like you would an actual racecar (keeping RPMs high all the time), it should have a happy long life. Honda's CVT is an exception though. Honda's CVT seems to be nightmare free. Some other manufacturers struggle with reliability of their CVT.
Someone made an 850 HP F1 car with a CVT in 1993 and F1 banned it before it could be raced. The prototype was already lapping several seconds faster than existing F1 cars:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Someone made an 850 HP F1 car with a CVT in 1993 and F1 banned it before it could be raced. The prototype was already lapping several seconds faster than existing F1 cars:
Out of curiosity, what is the average lifespan of an F1 transmission? Engines only need to last through a set number of races and I wonder if the same applies to a transmission.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your argument is a red herring. I still stand by what I said. The CVT is not a performance transmission. We are talking about production vehicles here. Something that has a limited budget. Something that needs to last tens if not hundreds of thousands of miles. Something that sells in big numbers like tens or hundreds of thousands of units, not one...

It's great to see one case of a CVT that has to work with so much horsepower and survives for awhile. Yes, it's impressive indeed. But like what was posted above, an F1 car goes through a few engines and transmissions a season.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts