Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title say guys, what is your favorite engine oil brand?? I know for some people oil is just an oil and they will stick with any brand within the recommended viscosity...For me my favorite is Liqui Moly as i know in some countries its labeled as Lubro Moly, second favorite is Castrol "Edge" but man this oil is pricey.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,179 Posts
$25 for an Edge is not pricey, that's if you do longer oil change intervals. I'm currently running Edge and I'm at 7k miles. I'd like to run it to 10k. For me, that would be 1 oil change every 6-8 months. Not expensive at all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I use only Mobil 1 or Quaker State in all our cars.

Used to use Valvoline until I found this page: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters that much in most our cars, but why not. Mobil 1 can be gotten for $15 / 5 quarts a few times a year and then I stock up. What's not to like?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mobil 1 is what I've always used, recently changed the wife's oil using Mobil 1 on her 9th gen sedan. The biggest difference is type of oil, conventional and synthetic. Sure on some, additives may differ between brand but it's personal preference otherwise

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have never heard of anyone who had an engine problem because they used the wrong brand of motor oil. But for the record I use Mobil 1 in both of my vehicles because it's readily available and about the same price as other brands.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mobil 1 has a $17 rebate if you buy 5 quarts and a filter. AutoZone has a deal 5 quarts Mobil 1 and a Mobil filter $12.99 After rebate. Up to 2 offers.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Valvoline and Mobil 1, whatever is the best deal at the time but really oil and rotationalassemblies are so good these days. Last year, Valvoline had coupons for $6 off of two 5 qt jugs. When they were on sale at Walmart, that was a good score. I'd be more concerned with the transmission fluid and wear than the engine.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,179 Posts
I have never heard of anyone who had an engine problem because they used the wrong brand of motor oil.
There are plenty of used oil analyses on BITOG showing various oils with good results in wear and TBN retention. You just gotta be cautious about some small department store oils that don't have any additive packages and cannot be used in modern engines. Why are they even legal to be sold, idk.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,241 Posts
There are plenty of used oil analyses on BITOG showing various oils with good results in wear and TBN retention. You just gotta be cautious about some small department store oils that don't have any additive packages and cannot be used in modern engines. Why are they even legal to be sold, idk.
What matters is the API symbol. Small department store brands do have that too, which means the additive packages meet OEM specs. It's unlikely small department stores are making their own oil.

·
2020 best year
4,236 Posts
I just use Pennzoil a lot because it goes on sale often.

I don't have a favorite. Any name brand that's on sale, I grab it.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pennzoil that is made from natural gas. It seems to me the molecules are more likely to be more homogenous than those obtained from crude. Used Oil Analysis results look good, too.

·
2011 LX-S Coupe Automatic
168 Posts
All API engine oils will work great for daily drivers. Just make sure to replace engine oil as per owners manual. Pennzoil is fine for a daily driver, that is not being raced.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Drew's Quest for best value led me to Quaker State ultimate durability. Results of tests, 1st place was Amsoil at $60 for 5 quarts. 2nd place was Quaker State at $20 for 5 quart jug (walmart). Thanks for the informative thread Drew.

·
2020 best year
4,236 Posts
Pennzoil that is made from natural gas. It seems to me the molecules are more likely to be more homogenous than those obtained from crude. Used Oil Analysis results look good, too.
That's what I have used on my 8th Gen when I had it.

Now that I use conventional, I just grab the Pennzoil yellow bottle. The 5 L(1.3 gal) jug cost CAN$20 on sale.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts