Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing belt or valve adjustments? I am going to change the transmission fluid early. I change the oil every 5K with 5-20 dino.

So far it's been a great car and I love keeping my big heavy duty diesel truck parked in favor of this little car.

·
VTAKKKK
1,710 Posts
Valve adjustment if needed.

I believe the 4 cylinders have timing chains which don't need to be replaced.

Also, spark plugs and water pump are important ones.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You have a timing chain. Plugs, coolant and manual trans fluid. Im on the original water pump at 190K. If you keep the fluid changed would help keep a healthy water pump.

·
6,322 Posts
Plugs, coolant and manual trans fluid.
I would add the serpentine belt(oem) to the list along with an oem pcv valve. Use Honda type II coolant along with the correct(NGK/Denso) plugs. Consider upgrading the mtf with Redline or the GM FM stuff. Air and cabin filters

Brake fluid should also be done eventually. Technically every 3yrs. PS fluid when its dirty. Use turkey baster method to freshen. :thmsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just asked my dealer at 103k. They have these nifty checklists. Works well for people like me who do some of the stuff - you just cross out what you don't want them to do.

View attachment 35890

View attachment 35891

That is a nifty check list, wonder what I should use to lube the door locks hinges, and latches.

I would add the serpentine belt(oem) to the list along with an oem pcv valve. Use Honda type II coolant along with the correct(NGK/Denso) plugs. Consider upgrading the mtf with Redline or the GM FM stuff. Air and cabin filters

Brake fluid should also be done eventually. Technically every 3yrs. PS fluid when its dirty. Use turkey baster method to freshen. :thmsup:
I like the turkey baster method, I'll try that.

Is the oem PCV valve something that gets plugged often or can I just clean it out with some brake cleaner or MAF cleaner?

Should I get the Type II coolant from the dealership or the local parts store?

What's the spec on the fluid, I use GM sychromesh in my mustang's Tremec.

·
6,322 Posts
Is the oem PCV valve something that gets plugged often or can I just clean it out with some brake cleaner or MAF cleaner?

Should I get the Type II coolant from the dealership or the local parts store?

What's the spec on the fluid, I use GM sychromesh in my mustang's Tremec.
Usually, with the pcv valve its the internal spring that breaks around 60k. The oem valves reportedly have a thicker internal spring compared to the cheap aftermarket ones. www.collegehillshonda.com has good prices on these even with shipping.

Get the type II coolant from the dealer. Shipping fluids can be expensive but I've heard of good deals with collegehills on this also.

Not sure about the spec on the GM mtf just be SURE to get the FM(friction modified) fluid. Here is a link talking about the fluid:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=771619#post771619

Another good alternative is Redline mtf which can be purchased online at www.amazon.com . It's a full synthetic fluid. Usually free shipping when your order exceeds a certain dollar amount.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Set up your free account with Honda's OwnerLink website. Enter your vehicle information and you can view the entire service maintenance plan for your vehicle. Then you will know exactly what should be done at each mileage interval, not what others think you should do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'll do that too, thanks, but it is still nice to know what everyone else is running into as well as far as maintainace goes.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would add the serpentine belt(oem) to the list :
Yea, forgot about that. I ran mine to 150K ish and it still looked decient when replaced. The belt is an easy inspection item every time you open the hood. It is an easy replacement if your worried about it. Age might be the issue with the belt at this point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts