Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, I'm driving a '07 4cyl coupe and have really skimped on maintenance. I took the car in this past weekend for an oil change and came out with over $1300 in "recommended maintenance." What things should I actually look to do? The only service I've ever had done is as follows:

Oil changes: every 6k miles
Cabin air filter: every other year
Engine intake filter (sp?): 60k
Brakes: 60k (mechanic said rotors were fine)
Tires: 60k ( Eagle GT...new tires apparently are due, been eyeing Eagle Sport A/S)

That's it..I've done NOTHING ELSE.

The car is currently at just under 134k miles and the clutch is still holding on pretty strongly. I'd like to get 2-3 years out of it but have I already guaranteed early breakdown? I will post later the maintenance recommended by the shop (tires account for a big portion).

·
2006 I4 MT
1,686 Posts
You need to change all fluids, spark plugs and drive belt. DIY is around $200 with OEM stuff. I had this list from an old thread.

1 Gatorback Serpentine Belt
4 NGK (6994) IZFR6K-11 Iridium Spark Plug
1 Automatic Transmission Drain Plug washer
4 Genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-DW-1
2 Genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid 12 fl oz
2 Genuine Honda long life antifreeze/coolant
2 Genuine Honda DOT 3 Brake Fluid. 12 fl oz
1 Genuine Honda shin-etsu grease (door seals)
1 Genuine Honda PCV valve. 17130-PND-A01.

Substitute manual transmission fluid/washer for Auto if you have a 5 speed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You need to change all fluids, spark plugs and drive belt. DIY is around $200 with OEM stuff. I had this list from an old thread.

Hey now, he said the clutch was good so no go with the ATF parts and all dude . . .

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This list is pretty close...

The shop (Firestone) listed the following...

Wiper Blades (which are pretty new)

Cabin Air Filter (of which a new one was in my trunk, ready to be installed)
Brake Fluid Exchange w/ ABS ($103)

Coolant System Service w/ Khameleon Antifreeze ($105)

Belts: 5070700 Poly Rib Belt, 700K7 Poly Rib Belt ($94 total)...any idea what these are/can I do them myself?
Also listed was to remove and replace the power steering pump drive belt, but only a labor charge is listed ($55) as well as $22 for "+Alternator interferes add"

Battery replacement and corrosion package ($145)... they claimed the battery was not showing a high charge and the upcoming cold weather will lead to it dieing...considering its 7 years old I guess this is legitimate? Obviously I could do this myself.

Plus Tune Up:
XP5224 NGK OEM Iridium Plug: 4 x $26 (are these spark plugs???)
Fuel System Cleaner ($40)
Plus labor prices listed for plug replacement and fuel system ($65 and $60, respectively)

Sooo in conclusion, I obviously intend to replace the spark plugs myself if its fairly easy to do, and replace the battery. But how hard is it to clean the fuel system (is this just a simple additive into the gas tank??) and flush the coolant and brake fluid systems? I don't own a lift and don't want a car falling on me....

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
You don't have to be under to car to do these things. Get a set of jack stands and you are good to go.

Most of the things listed can be DIY. Brake fluid seem like it would be the hardest. There are plenty of DIYs around here for all the above.

Spark plugs are around $10 each at an Auto Parts store.

The car only has one belt and yes you can DIY as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What EXACTLY did this $1300 list consist of? List it....
It's in the post 2 above yours. The actual suggested maintenance came to $883. As I also mentioned, I'm looking at new tires (their recommendation as well but seeing as my current Eagle GT's have over 65k this is prob a good idea) and they wanted $575 to install 4 Turanza w/ Serenity. I was checking out the Eagle Sport A/S since they are essentially the same as the GT's and I can have them installed for around $80 less from Sears. Thoughts on that tire choice?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
This list is pretty close...

The shop (Firestone) listed the following...

Wiper Blades (which are pretty new)

Cabin Air Filter (of which a new one was in my trunk, ready to be installed)
Brake Fluid Exchange w/ ABS ($103)

Coolant System Service w/ Khameleon Antifreeze ($105)

Belts: 5070700 Poly Rib Belt, 700K7 Poly Rib Belt ($94 total)...any idea what these are/can I do them myself?
Also listed was to remove and replace the power steering pump drive belt, but only a labor charge is listed ($55) as well as $22 for "+Alternator interferes add"

Battery replacement and corrosion package ($145)... they claimed the battery was not showing a high charge and the upcoming cold weather will lead to it dieing...considering its 7 years old I guess this is legitimate? Obviously I could do this myself.

Plus Tune Up:
XP5224 NGK OEM Iridium Plug: 4 x $26 (are these spark plugs???)
Fuel System Cleaner ($40)
Plus labor prices listed for plug replacement and fuel system ($65 and $60, respectively)

Sooo in conclusion, I obviously intend to replace the spark plugs myself if its fairly easy to do, and replace the battery. But how hard is it to clean the fuel system (is this just a simple additive into the gas tank??) and flush the coolant and brake fluid systems? I don't own a lift and don't want a car falling on me....
You got ripped off. $26 for spark plugs? $100 for brake fluid? It's $8 a bottle and you don't need 12 bottles to do a flush (you really only need 2 bottles since there isn't much fluid in the lines). The serp belt you can change yourself with a $50 tool and a $20 belt. Fuel system cleaner costs $11 a bottle and is supposed to be used with an empty tank before fillup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's in the post 2 above yours. The actual suggested maintenance came to $883. As I also mentioned, I'm looking at new tires (their recommendation as well but seeing as my current Eagle GT's have over 65k this is prob a good idea) and they wanted $575 to install 4 Turanza w/ Serenity. I was checking out the Eagle Sport A/S since they are essentially the same as the GT's and I can have them installed for around $80 less from Sears. Thoughts on that tire choice?
New member here, but been lurking for a few weeks. :wave:

You're probably already aware of this, but Tire Rack is awesome for any type of tire information, specifications, reviews, surveys, etc. I would say, for the price, go with the Goodyears. I'm a big fan of Bridgestone and just recently picked up some 225/50/17 RE760's for my Maxima for around the same price as the Turanza's you mentioned. I love them. But in FL you don't really need tires for any inclement weather (wet traction aside).

Here is a link to the aforementioned A/S.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+A/S-C

And The Serenitiy's:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+Serenity

Also. I just got an '05 Honda Accord LX sedan (2.4) for my mother with 110k miles. I've done some maintenance already:

OEM Plugs. (IZFR6K11)
Reapplying dielectric grease to the coil boots.
PCV valve (Napa replacement. I work there. Seemed to be identical to the OEM I took out after comparing them obsessively on my lunch break :p) Engine air + cabin air filter.
Gates serpentine belt.
Brake fluid flush.
Engine detail.

I think I'm up to $90 aside from some of the chemicals I had in my garage. I was pleasantly surprised at how convenient this little engine is to work on I don't mind doing the work myself. (Her old car was a Buick) I still plan to do the 'drain, refill and repeat' a/trans fluid flush method and replace the in-line ATF filter with a Magnefine one. That will put me up to < $140.

Anyway, it doesn't take much effort to perform basic maintenance yourself, and you'll save a lot doing it.

Here's this past weekends efforts. There WERE toothbrush's harmed in the making of this engine bay.

Sorry about the rant. Hope some of the information was helpful. Glad to be a part of the community and will keep Mom riding clean.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
^^ You might also want to turkey-baster drain + refill the power steering fluid reservoir. I would also drain and fill the coolant. Pay attention to do the proper bleeding procedure or you risk an overheated engine.

Aside from brakes, plugs, belt, tranny, air filters, and wiper blades, there's really no other maint. required and all of it can be done in a single day by yourself.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Owner's manual.

Maintenance schedule.

The forum helps those who help themselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts