Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new car and am really leaning towards the 14' sport 4dr CVT. I drive a lot for work. On average I put 2k a month on my current vehicle. Mostly highway. I feel like this is a solid buy.. but is there anything else I should be considering?

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Sonata/Optima if you are in to that sort of thing. Camry. But the Accord is the clear choice. I guess people are raving about the new Mazda 6 but I think its butt ugly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
To speak the truth I would test out the Mazda 6, from the reviews it seems like a solid car. I've never been a fan of Mazda but its worth a try

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
To speak the truth I would test out the Mazda 6, from the reviews it seems like a solid car. I've never been a fan of Mazda but its worth a try
The biggest issue is noise. That car practically has no sound deadening.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
There are a lot of cars to choose from in this segment. I have been driving Hondas since 1981 and have been very satisfied. They are generally trouble free and last a long time. My previous Accord Coupe is a 2000 V6 model that has about 160,000 miles and my son is driving it to college. It is due for an oil change, after 7,500 miles, and when I checked the oil dip stick it was full and the oil is clean. The transmission had a known defect and failed at 93,000 miles. Honda replaced it free under an extension to the warrantee.

My wife's 2007 Fit runs like a top and has had no problems, but it only has 51,000 miles.

I can't tell you what you are going to like. I rented an Optima on a business trip and the car was nice but all the interior parts seemed flimsy and cheap. Earlier in the year I rented a Chevy Impala on another business trip and it was a nice car but it still handled like I remembered American cars handled thirty years ago.

I think Honda's new technology engines and transmissions are terrific. Some people here are not very happy with the CVT transmission on the I4 engine but I have had no issues and the combination of the I4 and the transmission are giving me a solid 30 MPG.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The best sellers and their competition as mentioned.
Also depends on what are your priorities are.
Comfort, amenities, handling, performance, styling, audio, etc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Accord Hybrid 2014 is out... I saw one on Halloween night..Cool...its averaged 50..mpg...

·
Registered
608 Posts
With that kind of monthly mileage I'd seriously take a look at the Camry LE. It's softer which I would prefer with high mileage. Also, you can find a lot of certified used '12 - '13 Camry 4 cylinder models which makes them better bargains.

·
CVT
514 Posts
The biggest issue is noise. That car practically has no sound deadening.
i second that statement. that was one reason of the biggest reasons i couldn't pull the trigger on the 6.. otherwise a great car.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
With that kind of monthly mileage I'd seriously take a look at the Camry LE. It's softer which I would prefer with high mileage. Also, you can find a lot of certified used '12 - '13 Camry 4 cylinder models which makes them better bargains.
In my opinion Camry doesn't handle as well nor are they as sporty to drive as the Accord. There may be some new or certified used 2013 Accords available.

·
Registered
608 Posts
In my opinion Camry doesn't handle as well nor are they as sporty to drive as the Accord. There may be some new or certified used 2013 Accords available.
For someone who's going to drive it very high mileage on the highway, handling means very little to nothing in the equation. A softer ride makes a better deal as it leads to less fatigue.

·
Registered
842 Posts
For me, it came down to the Accord and the new Mazda 6. The main arguments I had in favor of the Mazda were exterior looks and how it handled the corners in the base models. The LX has 16" wheels, the Mazda 6 Sport has 17" ones. When I compared it to the EX, the difference was negligible for purposes of getting around town. The leather shift knob and steering wheel felt nice, too.

Anyway, I was willing to compromise on those in exchange for better reliability (my goal is to keep this for 15 years, and I'm not ready to trust a Mazda to handle years 10 through 15 the same way a Honda should), the quieter and smoother ride, and more room under the hood. Besides, the Accord isn't bad-looking, it just goes for a classy look while the Mazda goes for a sporty one.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
Like others have stated the only other car I would have seriously looked at would be the Mazda6.

The Mazda6 definitely looks nice IMO. Every time I see one, I do a double take.

If you are looking for driving excitement the Mazda6 should be a strong contender, but if you are looking for more creature comforts then I would suggest the Accord.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Fusion is ugly as sin in my opinion. Like the Taurus, it looks like a boat on the road. Thing is HUGE! This is coming from a Ford guy..

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Curious, did anyone cross shop with Ford Fusion or Acura TSX?
As someone who plans on holding on to the car, I couldn't bring myself to strongly consider the Ford. A new TSX was out of my price range and even if it wasn't, Acura went down the wrong road with the 2nd gen TSX and then tried to fill the gap with an over-priced pseudo-luxury car they called the ILX. And now the TSX will be killed off next year and the ILX will be lucky to live as long as the ZDX did. I just want to find whoever is making these decisions at Acura and slap them in the face. And then march right over to Honda and find who decided the Crosstour was a better idea than a true Accord wagon. (The idea of a 6MT Accord Sport Wagon really gets my juices flowing). /rant :scratch:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Curious, did anyone cross shop with Ford Fusion or Acura TSX?
I did. In the end a few things put the nails in the Fusions coffin:

• Tight interior. Not a lot of hip room.
  • EcoBoost 4-Cyl with the Auto could not get it done
  • Styling that I think will look very dated in just a few years.
  • The dealer could not locate a manual within 500 mi for me to drive before ordering.

Jay

1 - 20 of 36 Posts