Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Honda Accord 5 speed manual, 2.4L engine.
Check engine light came on solid about a month ago (has come on and off intermittently since I bought the car 6 years ago, as has the airbag light). The Honda garage ran diagnostics: Code P0341 came up two separate times.

They said it's probably a stretched timing chain, but said it's a tough decision whether to do it, since it's a ten year old car. They said spending the $1400 may not stop the light from coming on again in 6 months or a year, especially if the engine is running too hot, so unless I want to pay for replacing it, they recommended I keep driving it till "something worse" happens or it might continue fine.

They asked about oil changes: that's been done regularly, although it burns a quart of oil between changes. The mechanic said that is serious; however, it's done that since I bought the car 6 years ago (another mechanic said that's normal for that engine); the engine temp has remained the same for 6 years. I asked if the checking circuitry could be faulty since it has been flaky, intermittent; they said they have never seen bad checking circuitry. Replacing the motor would be more costly.

So what do I do? Drive it till the valves crash (if it really is a timing chain problem)? Pay $1400 to have it replaced for something that "might" be the problem? Or dump the car, which is in great shape at 123,000 miles, excellent body, runs great (but won't pass the emissions test next year if the check engine light is on)?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Code P0341 is Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Or Single Sensor.

You should go to another mechanic and ask for a second opinion. BTW is not normal for a car a quart of oil between oil change. I do my oil changes and my car does not burn any oil at all, I'm at 110k miles.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My Coupe is 10 y old, and seems as good as new, but at that age, it's hardly worth a penny, so it drive it until she drops, or the next significant expense. She ain't a collector item!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts