Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago about how much dents and scratches my car has accrued over the first year of ownership in NY. Guess what?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1434049981.520939.jpg

I came to the car like this. There was an open bag of chips and 3D glasses sitting on top of the hood. When I came to the pass side to take off the garbage, I noticed the dent. It looks like kids were sitting and playing on top of my car. A heavy kid at that. I don't know what to do. I found fenders that are CAPA certified. Some are pre painted, some are not. I know the pre painted fenders might not be a good idea for blending purposes.

Should I make a claim to my insurance (geico, full coverage, $500 deductible)

Or

Buy the fender and have some one paint and fix (I got quoted $590)

I don't want my premium to go up.

One more thing, is there a way to fix all my dents and scratches without paying much? I've heard about a couple of ways to but I would like to know from my fellow accordians. Thanks

Other damages on the car

(Only one I'm responsible for is polka dot on left fender)

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1434050858.858636.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1434050816.591406.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1434050950.220088.jpg

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,236 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I feel your pain man. Frankly, I would just take out the fender and push it out yourself and leave it as it is. You know it is going to get dent here and there again. So, fix it only if you know if you can avoid those areas.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Have a paintless dent removal guy look at that... they can do magic with dents as long as they can get behind it... if some kid's ass did that, then it could usually be pushed back. If it's on the door skin then they can't do much... but fenders they can do a lot of good work.

Some examples:

Reactions: MR_CR2 and StevieD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear that, I feel your pain man. Frankly, I would just take out the fender and push it out yourself and leave it as it is. You know it is going to get dent here and there again. So, fix it only if you know if you can avoid those areas.

Thanks man. I would like to have the car back to mint then get a spot in an indoor parking garage to be safe. Might cost $175 a month better than paying a deductible.

Jeez, at that rate of damage you get inflicted there I think I would have thrown in the towel over being concerned about it.

Yea, living in NYC is no joke. No one has respect for other people's property.

Have a paintless dent removal guy look at that... they can do magic with dents as long as they can get behind it... if some kid's ass did that, then it could usually be pushed back. If it's on the door skin then they can't do much... but fenders they can do a lot of good work.

Some examples:

Thanks, I didn't think about that. I figured because there was a crease in the fender, they will not be able to do it. I'll give it a try.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
That damage was from a kid? That is one heavy, hot-dog eating kid....maybe this obesity thing is kinda real?

Here is a video of a fat kid beating up a skinny kid....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqy__XOZ1Hc

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
Wow.... I'm glad I don't live in NYC. I'm sorry your baby is getting so dinged up. As far as insurance, wouldn't comprehensive cover it? If you weren't driving the car when these things happened, it shouldn't count as an accident or effect your rate in NYS.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That should count as vandalism, so comprehensive should cover it.

I can't begin to imagine the insurance rates for cars in Gotham! :bawl: :eek: :jawdrop:

·
Elvira
3,625 Posts
That is one heavy, hot-dog eating kid....maybe this obesity thing is kinda real?

What kind of kids eat Armour Hot Dogs?

Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks....

Here is a video of a fat kid beating up a skinny kid....
As an aside, IF I remember correctly, this was about the larger kid being constantly picked on because of his slower nature. There were numerous bullying sessions and he, the larger kid, finally had enough. Once I learned that, the reaction was IMO justified.

Excuse the hijack.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm a nervous wreck parking far from everyone else to avoid getting a small door ding. I can't imagine coming out and seeing that. What kind of uncivilized animals would do that. There's usually camera's everywhere nowadays wonder if that was caught on cam by one of the local businesses.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Other than renting an off the street parking place moving out of the city is your only other choice. What part of the city are you located? I grew up in Queens fifty years ago and visiting several times since moving out things have really changed and not necessarily for the better.

Your car was vandalized so your comprehensive coverage should cover the damage without increasing your rate.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Sorry, that sucks. One of those dent puller experts can work wonders with that damage. I wouldn't bother making the car as good as new, it's gonna happen over and over. You have a very good attitude about all of this but down in the city, it is a losing proposition to have a car without dings and dents just too many people and cars.

I remember when I was dating my now wife, I used to take my Mustang GT to Queens and had to park on the street. They would take the center caps and I saw some jerks sitting on the hood but she was worth it. Even today, when she brings the car home with a scratch or dent she is rather indifferent while I get frustrated.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's great to catch people in the act of stealing or vandalism. I grew up in Cleveland and many years ago my brother and i caught a guy trying to steal the stereo out of my brother's car. All we saw were the guy's legs hanging out of the car. He picked the wrong car to rob my brother is a big boy. He grabbed him by both legs and pulled him out and beat him till he was unconscious. We left him laying on the sidewalk and got in the car and left. That's what i call justice. I'll never forget that day lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bro......dont move to Jersey. Its not much better. I had to move to WA state. Couldnt handle all the A$$hats out there. No dents or scratches on my ish.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
490 Posts
It's great to catch people in the act of stealing or vandalism. I grew up in Cleveland and many years ago my brother and i caught a guy trying to steal the stereo out of my brother's car. All we saw were the guy's legs hanging out of the car. He picked the wrong car to rob my brother is a big boy. He grabbed him by both legs and pulled him out and beat him till he was unconscious. We left him laying on the sidewalk and got in the car and left. That's what i call justice. I'll never forget that day lol.

I had a stereo installed by a convicted felon. The dude caught somebody with the legs out the window so to speak... the kid took off and the dude went after him. The baseball bat he used to beat the crap out of the kid got him the jail sentence.

Moral of the story, kick their ass while it remains in the car. You might have to clean up the blood but it is better chasing after them and then having to do 3 to 5 at Parchment Farm.

·
Registered
267 Posts
+1 vote for paintless dent removal. Just go to a reputable body shop and ask if they know a guy. Geez OP, that sucks. I feel your pain. When my car was a week old, I was driving through St. Albans in Queens and some punk kids threw a glass bottle in front of my car which shattered. One of the pieces flew up and gouged a nice 1.5 inch scratch down to the primer on my black paint. I covered it up by putting touch up paint and then the door moldings went right over it.

I hate living in the city. People here have absolutely no respect for other people's property and my insurance rates are horrendous. Mass transit isn't much better. There isn't a day in the last 3 years where I haven't cursed out the MTA. I pay $175/mo for my garage space and it's well worth it. The kids on my block play street football and they've caused some real dents in other people's parked cars.

Off topic, but if anybody knows of any good job openings out west or down south, throw them my way! My fiancé and I are looking to get out of this s***hole.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
What a bummer. Always assumed drivers, thieves, and vandals, were the same all over. Good luck with the damage repair and finding an off street parking spot.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This may have been mentioned before, but if I were in your shoes, I would sell the car for the sake of my sanity. If I either couldn't afford or did not want to pay the ridiculous prices for garage parking, I would not want to own a nice car that was left on the street to get repeatedly abused.

Want to own a nice car in the city? Garage it. Otherwise I would buy a car with solid mechanical but whose exterior I don't care about. Parking a nice car on the street in NYC seems to me an endless series of heartaches. Fix it, watch it happen again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Go crazy with rage. I would want out of that cycle.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
Reminds me of a lighter version of Washington, DC....I tell everyone to sell their car and take public transportation or taxis. No owned car gets out of DC alive....

My cousins in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn sometimes walk up to 4 blocks away from their apartment door to their parked car. Every year they get that car "touched up" because of the lunatics living there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts