Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bigwil254
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put the Mugen body kit and HFP wheels on my car. I want to get the Mugen Grille but I already bought this grille. The chrome handles and chrome grille sort of through off the essence of the Mugen/HFP performance style im looking for. I spent quite a bit on the grille and I doubt ill get much back and shipping would cost quite a bit.:dunno:

1. Should I take off the handle covers,door bowls, and Chrome grille and try to sell em then order the actual Mugen Grille?

2. Or should I use this on my grille to keep it matching? If I try it and don't like it, you think paint thinner could take it off and bring it back to that chrome look just in case?
http://www.autobarn.net/metallic-polished-metal-nh737m.html?site=google_base

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5362401&l=f4923d1b70&id=539895940
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7009358&l=cf09b50c83&id=539895940

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Where's the front lip for the Mugen kit? Personally, I'm not a fan of the chrome. Throws off the look you're trying to go for. I think the Mugen grill would look much cleaner on your sedan. The HFP wheels really set it off. Good luck with your decision man!

·
Bigwil254
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Front Lip is on its way. The Original one I ordered came scratched up so I'm having one resent to me.

I decided the chrome door handle covers are coming off. I'm going to try and spray paint the mesh grilles PMM and see how it looks. If it looks good Itll stay. I wanna get the Mugen grille but I already spent so much on the grille and basically threw money away with those door handle covers..

·
Registered
570 Posts
Remember... you asked.
1. PLEASE get rid of that grille and buy the Mugen! And yes, the chrome handle covers and bowls need to go too for continuity. If you can sell the lot to someone local, great. If not, try Ebay or Craigslist. Take the hit on shipping if necessary.

2. I think that would only work well if no part of the existing grille is "chromed" plastic. If its all metal, you could probably recover the chrome finish, but it could be very labor intensive to do so. Paint likely won't hold well on real chrome either.

I'd just get what money you can from the chrome bits, and move on.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
I would remove & sell the parts that you feel don't flow w/ the overall theme you are striving towards.

For me, that would be the door bowls & upper+lower chrome grilles. The chrome door handles aren't that overpowering, lots of other similarly styled vehicles have them & they go well w/ the other chrome trim.

Get the Mugen grille, or even a replica. Sell the upper/lower chrome grille. I think you can recoup all/most of your money, as there is always a buyer. You just have to market it properly, perhaps even sweeten the deal w/ something-something.

Also, thanks for the PMM paint-can link here. That's an awesome price for OEM color-matched paint in an 8oz. rattle-can. I'm gonna get 1-2 of those, as I need to touch up parts of my lower front bumper.

BTW, your Accord looks sweet! :cool:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
I don’t have the chrome door handle problem, but I am painting my STOCK grill PMM as we speak. I ordered from paint world, but same thing. I have tested painting plastic chrome on my emblems with very good success. If it’s the same type of material (looks like it is) you just sand it down with high grit sandpaper, then primer, then paint, then gloss (if you want)

I think at least your on the right track trying to DE-chrome….:thmsup:

·
Bigwil254
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something interesting. Coming back from the gym i decided to turn on a street that I knew had an 8th gen sedan owner on it. As soon as I turned this different guy was outside washing his 2 8th Gens. He waived and I stopped and turned around.

As I get out to talk to him, he tells me he was lookin on buying the same chrome grille I had on mine. I told him I was selling it, and he is very interested. So It looks like I might be able to Mugen Grille After All :> :banana:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts