Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few threads about the issues I was having with my SRS light coming on intermittently during driving, even after getting the seat belt buckle and tensioner replaced. I eventually noticed a bit of a pattern, which is that the SRS light would come on after an extended period of braking (e.g. when going downhill and braking to maintain speed). The code that came up would be a 5-3 (internal failure of SRS), and I was very close to buying and installing a new SRS unit.

The other day, I took my car in for a routine oil change/tire rotation and a brake fluid flush. Well, after this was done, my SRS light hasn't come on since (knock on wood) and I've driven about 75 miles (about 6-7 separate drives) in the meantime. Previously, it would come on during almost every single drive. Now, it comes on when initially starting the car, but doesn't come on during driving anymore.

I really don't want to jinx anything, but why in the world would a brake flush affect the SRS light? I'm glad that the SRS light issue seems to have resolved itself, but I have no clue how to explain it...

Perhaps some of you Honda experts and mechanically inclined types could chime in here. In the meantime I'm going to say a little prayer to the Honda SRS gods before I set off on each drive :D

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
There is an ABS sensor on each wheel, which plugs in near the caliper. If one or more of the plugs were not connected, it would set off the SRS light. Perhaps they jostled a loose plug or found one unplugged and reconnected it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is an ABS sensor on each wheel, which plugs in near the caliper. If one or more of the plugs were not connected, it would set off the SRS light. Perhaps they jostled a loose plug or found one unplugged and reconnected it.

A loose ABS sensor would set off the SRS light and not the ABS light? Just wanted to clarify because my ABS light has never come on.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
Maybe they hooked up a scanner, and decided to clear the codes just for the heck of it, just to see if it would come back on. I'm glad things worked out so well, let's hope it stays off.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe they hooked up a scanner, and decided to clear the codes just for the heck of it, just to see if it would come back on. I'm glad things worked out so well, let's hope it stays off.
This was at my preferred independent shop, not the stealership. I watched them do the work and I know they didn't touch any of the electronics on the car. If they had done something with the code, they would have told me. These guys are so honest that they even returned a bottle of the Honda brake fluid that I brought in, because I brought 3 bottles and they only used 2.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
WTF was I saying? That would be the ABS light. Disregard, I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm not sure anything in the brake system is related to the SRS, probably just a coincidence.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
WTF was I saying? That would be the ABS light. Disregard, I was wrong.
I think your neurons were frozen due to recent snow and ice events in the area. :lmao:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:

I think I've figured out why the light went out after the brake flush. I am thinking that it may be weather-related. The light didn't come for quite a long time after that brake flush, but the weather was relatively warm during that time. Recently, I've been paying attention to the exterior temperature gauge when I drive, and it seems like the SRS light behaves when the outside temperature is over 50 degrees F. When the outside temp is less than 50 degrees F, the SRS light will sometimes come on while driving.

I'm thinking it may be due to either wiring or aging solder joints inside the SRS computer. Since the code that I'm getting when the light comes on is still a 5-3 (Internal SRS failure) code, do you all think it would be worth the $180 or so to replace the SRS computer?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
03EX: I can't advise on that because I never opened one up, but I can tell you that MAF sensors in 240sx fail all the time because of cracked solder. Rather than spend $200 on a new one, I open it up and re-solder the connections. Done it on 2 different MAF sensors and they hold up well.

It's not a part you should ignore, so take a chance and research if it can be opened and operated on.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
03EX: I can't advise on that because I never opened one up, but I can tell you that MAF sensors in 240sx fail all the time because of cracked solder. Rather than spend $200 on a new one, I open it up and re-solder the connections. Done it on 2 different MAF sensors and they hold up well.

It's not a part you should ignore, so take a chance and research if it can be opened and operated on.
I'm a little hesitant to open up a safety part like the SRS computer, but as you said, it's an important part, so I am going to look into simply replacing the whole thing. The good thing is that now the weather has warmed up and the light doesn't come on much anymore, which gives me some time to look at replacement options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts