Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 101k and I’m sure previous owner didn’t do any type of fuel service. What’s the recommended cleaning and how often does everyone do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Get off my lawn
249 Posts
TechRon is an excellent product and if you add this to a few tanks of gas it should take care of any issues you may be concerned with. Just be sure you get the one that cleans combustion chambers as opposed to just the fuel system.
My brother was the chief of Chevron’s additives division for years and he recommends it for this purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone tried the CRC valve cleaner?

As a fuel additive I’ve always used the Lucas fuel system cleaner. I’m more interested in cleaning the carbon buildup on the valves due to our GDI system. That’s a more involved process and was wondering what everyone did for that

·
Get off my lawn
249 Posts
As a fuel additive I’ve always used the Lucas fuel system cleaner. I’m more interested in cleaning the carbon buildup on the valves due to our GDI system. That’s a more involved process and was wondering what everyone did for that

Techron will clean valves as well. Now that I use top-tier gas I don’t use the techron any more

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea fuel additives won’t clean the valves on our engines.

·
HK Moderator
14,264 Posts
Did you search the forum before posting your question?

I hire out of work waiters to add gas/water mixture into the intake while driving at high speed.

·
2016 Accord Coupe EX-L
137 Posts
You don't need any service of that kind. Keep driving the car.
First, love your videos on YT and thank you.
I currently have over 135,000 miles and I have experienced little to no difference in my mpg or performance. I would assume if my valves were as caked up as I've seen some Volkswagens, I'd notice something wrong by now. From what I've read the problem is seen in cars with Turbos and those that are driven only short distances. In my opinion if you stay on top of the maintenance and drive it to operating temperatures the engine will last longer than the rest of the car.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Try to use a Top Tier gasoline, if you want to use an injector cleaner maybe twice a yr. Redline or BG44 or the Chevron Techron. You can have your valves cleaned using the CRC up the air intake, get it done @ Walmart for $20 or have a indy shop do it (about $100). Had mine done (jndy shop) @ 10K when I changed the cvt fluid. You could smell the "burnt carbon" in the air afterward, will do both again @ 25K then every 25K after that, overkill maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Add a bottle of Techron to your tank about 500 miles before your scheduled oil change, if you're worried.
I use to do this to my old 2.0T Passat and it ran like a top. I would do this twice a year.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I understand direct inject bypasses the valves. Yet combustion backflow can make your valves dirty. So obvioulsy some of the left over combustion deposits on the valves. This implys some certain types of fuel could also deposit onto the valve and aid in cleaning or at minium create cleaner combustion in the first place thus reducing valve buildup.

The right cleaner will keep injectors operating a peak performance regardless of valves.

Then you have that spray down the air intake stuff. I did that but it was kind of scetchy. I drove below the 3000RPM like the instructions said but when I got on the highway I gave it 3/4 throttle and boy did the white smoke role out. I felt like I was damaging the cat and muffler , maybe more. Who knows, it has been 20K miles since and nothing is broken.

·
Registered
140 Posts
right... these engines may be DI but they still have EGR and PCV... you want "good gas" that burns as cleanly as possible for EGR to help lower carbon build-up on the valves and you want engine oil to spec for the same reason due to the PCV... it's not going to be as good as what you get with port injection on the back of the valves but it's better than nothing... the dual port/DI setups solve this problem entirely, of course

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yup. Clean burning fuel with plenty of detergent is always better. About the dual injector setup, I also like the cooling effect from the port injector. Denser air charge. More tuning flexibility. Best of both worlds for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts