Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys,
In about a month I'm going to run into some money about 1300 :banana: and I have two options. I can do like one big thing -exhaust ,coilovers maybe some tires I don't know I haven't looked into tire prices but anyway either that or I could afford a few smaller things like sway bars, air intake, OEM fog lights sound system.
What do you think?
I have a '03 V6 coupe btw if that changes anything and I have no mods yet if you can't tell I'm a newb by now lol

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Invest the money into something that will appreciate in value....

If your car's tires are just "fine", and everything else "works"- just invest it. The V6 is pretty powerful to begin with.

A friend of mine bought $1,000 worth of Apple stock in 2005- cashed out last year for $110,000 and bought a used Porsche 911 and is taking three months off to fly around the world and see some sights....your return may vary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the most responsible thing I've heard in a while lol. I'm not gonna lie that really is good advice. I was thinking about doing that after I go on deployment but who knows. Thanks for the suggestion. and your friend sounds like he's living the dream. must be nice.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Drew: Deployment? Thank you for serving....my brother took advantage of the military programs regarding housing and mortgage rates. He owns 2 houses in DC that he rents out because he is still on deployment (he is a pilot). Each house is $500,000.

As a colonel and former wing commander, he had a lot of young people to look out for. He always advised them to stay away from those used car lots near the military bases selling used Corvettes and Camaros, etc because then the car will sit for a year while you are deployed- and that's not good (especially if it's a Chevy, lol).

I know you want to enjoy yourself- but you will see some of the world while on deployment. Travel is a great teacher. Perhaps you can use the money to "buy" yourself an experience rather than a material item for an already well-engineered car? $1,300 can buy you a R/T ticket to Vietnam and about three weeks lodging and scooter rental. Or, if you are deployed on the USS John McCain- they dock in Vietnam every year now. Jump ship while on leave there and spend the money to become a Master SCUBA Diver through PADI.

Regardless what you do- no judgement from me. Thank you for serving and definitely take advantage of those low mortgage rates and zero down payments- you will find yourself a millionaire at 50 if you do. I have several cousins in La Jolla (not far from you) that have done just that. Their garage is bigger than my house.

But if you want to spend the money to replace bald tires with Continental DWS tires, well then, do it! Best maintenance cost I ever spent on my Accord.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem Rick, thanks for the support. That is all really good advice. wow that sounds like they worked the system in all the right ways. I'm putting in an officer package soon so who knows maybe I'll run into some of your family one of these days. yea La Jolla is beautiful man really nice area. well where I am going its going to be a lot more dry heat that's about all i can say about that but I'm sure there will be some type of experiences I can get out of it that will be better than rims or anything you're right. So is your family mostly marines/navy? I don't know if anyone else is really stationed in SD. As far as the tires it was just something that popped in my head. maybe invest in some wider tired but i have some goodyear eagle r/t I think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
$1300 isn't going to go far performance wise. I'd say tires if you need them, if not just hang on to it

As Rick said, thanks for serving!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair enough, I don't really need them I'll probably just hold onto it then.

It's my pleasure man thanks for the support.

well if that's the case my next question is how does everybody feel about the new 2014 accord. I looked at the v6 ex-l seems pretty nice with like 280 hp and all the interior stuff you could want. With it being around 30k would you rather get something else

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you want to put it into your car, I'd check all the fluid levels, change the brakes if u need to, maybe get a timing belt change if u need. Things that are necessary for your car to run smooth, if everything checks out, then go for the extras. Rims, coil overs, speakers whatever etc. I used to want to put so much into my car, till it exploded on me. So my new accord I'm literally only putting money that is needed to be put into it. Brakes, fluids, timing belt, new tires if needed. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another good point thanks fail city. I actually think I do need a timing belt/tensioner/drive belt change ...I am at like 114 i bought it used and I don't know if they ever did it. but 560 to do it :( wish I knew how to do it myself lol that is going to be taken care of before I get that money though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well guys,
In about a month I'm going to run into some money about 1300 :banana: and I have two options. I can do like one big thing -exhaust ,coilovers maybe some tires I don't know I haven't looked into tire prices but anyway either that or I could afford a few smaller things like sway bars, air intake, OEM fog lights sound system.
What do you think?
I have a '03 V6 coupe btw if that changes anything and I have no mods yet if you can't tell I'm a newb by now lol
I'd go OEM fog light, rear spoiler, speakers and tires. You can get very affordable OEM fog lights from Ebay for about $60. The rear spoiler is more because you want the OEM prepaint version. The stereo is ok but the speakers are very bad in the Accord, I'd upgrade them with the Polk Audio db651s and db690 series speakers or some similar Kenwood speakers. Tire cost will depend on the brand, I have good experience with Michelin but I heard good thing about the Continental DWS. I think exhaust and coilover don't get as much mileage for the money. I'd rather do the sway bars upgrades to get better cornering ability. Or you can just invest in something that may pay big dividend later like tech stocks. If it hits, you may be able to get a new car instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts