Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
?????
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for some used sedan V6 headlights. I already found a passenger one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-13-14-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
havent received the headlights yet, but from description only thing broken on that one is 1 bracket.

and now i am looking for a driver side one.

My question would be.. besides from the obvious brackets on the headlight, what else do you look at when buying used headlights?
is there small clips on the bottom of the headlight that attaches to your bumper? and does anyone know how many brackets / sockets does the headlight have that attaches to the car? which brackets can i live without? and which ones are the primary ones that i need for the headlight to be used without worry about rattles.

Also if anyone has done the conversion from a lx,sport,ex,ex-l to v6 headlights (sedan) can i hook up a positive and negative 12v to the 3 prong LED socket to light it up? I am curious if the 3 prong in there is only a negative/positive/and a switch for the drl to dim at night.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
71 Posts
In the market too. Hope you didn't swipe the one I was watching! :)

A little pricey, but I think you can buy brackets and mount to headlight housing if beyond repair/unusable. Parts diagram looks that way anyway.

I don't have the answers on the LED strip yet... Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hardtopguy sells a kit where you can wire up the LEDs via plug and play. I have seen people also wire into the car for same result.

·
Registered
480 Posts
One big thing to watch out for is that whatever force broke one of the brackets could easily have also cracked the main black housing. I bought a couple broken headlights off ebay at one point (needed some of the internal pieces) and they had holes and cracks in the housing in addition to the brackets being broken.

There are 4 mounting brackets. 3 are little "arms" that stick out and 1 is a less noticeable piece on the bottom with a threaded metal piece for a bolt to go through. There are also 3 little plastic alignment pins that stick through matching holes in the fender. These pins are fragile but luckily they're not needed at all. I think they just assist in aligning the housing but they don't bare any load at all.

As for the strip/drl connector, I believe 1 pin is ground, one pin is 12v input, and one pin is 6v input. HardTopGuy sells a harness that will make the strip function as intended (bright/dim/flash when unlocking car, etc) but it's kinda pricey.

·
?????
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One big thing to watch out for is that whatever force broke one of the brackets could easily have also cracked the main black housing. I bought a couple broken headlights off ebay at one point (needed some of the internal pieces) and they had holes and cracks in the housing in addition to the brackets being broken.

There are 4 mounting brackets. 3 are little "arms" that stick out and 1 is a less noticeable piece on the bottom with a threaded metal piece for a bolt to go through. There are also 3 little plastic alignment pins that stick through matching holes in the fender. These pins are fragile but luckily they're not needed at all. I think they just assist in aligning the housing but they don't bare any load at all.

As for the strip/drl connector, I believe 1 pin is ground, one pin is 12v input, and one pin is 6v input. HardTopGuy sells a harness that will make the strip function as intended (bright/dim/flash when unlocking car, etc) but it's kinda pricey.
Great info! I will definitely inspect the headlight when it arrives. but for 80 bucks im hoping for the best out of it. if it is at all falsely advertise i will return it to them.

as for the led strip. i was planning to use the drl module (htg harness is out of my budget for now) i purchased for my strip light project and wire the positive and negative to the 2 pins on the strip light socket. do you think that would work? i realize that means the strip will run at 12v at all times ( might be too bright during night time) i might have to wire the dim function on the module to my headlight to dim it at night. im just curious if the 2 pins would wire up to the module that way. what do you think?

·
?????
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great info! I will definitely inspect the headlight when it arrives. but for 80 bucks im hoping for the best out of it. if it is at all falsely advertise i will return it to them.

as for the led strip. i was planning to use the drl module (htg harness is out of my budget for now) i purchased for my strip light project and wire the positive and negative to the 2 pins on the strip light socket. do you think that would work? i realize that means the strip will run at 12v at all times ( might be too bright during night time) i might have to wire the dim function on the module to my headlight to dim it at night. im just curious if the 2 pins would wire up to the module that way. what do you think?
Yeah that will probably work for your drl. If you're using one of those voltage sensing relays I think they might only be rated for like 15W and I wouldn't be surprised of the LEDs on the V6 use every bit of that or more but I guess the only way to find out if it works is to try it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i might have to wire the dim function on the module to my headlight to dim it at night.
@6v will they match your 5k/6k HID low beam :naughty:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am currently in the market for some used sedan V6 headlights. I already found a passenger one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-13-14-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
havent received the headlights yet, but from description only thing broken on that one is 1 bracket.

and now i am looking for a driver side one.

My question would be.. besides from the obvious brackets on the headlight, what else do you look at when buying used headlights?
is there small clips on the bottom of the headlight that attaches to your bumper? and does anyone know how many brackets / sockets does the headlight have that attaches to the car? which brackets can i live without? and which ones are the primary ones that i need for the headlight to be used without worry about rattles.

Also if anyone has done the conversion from a lx,sport,ex,ex-l to v6 headlights (sedan) can i hook up a positive and negative 12v to the 3 prong LED socket to light it up? I am curious if the 3 prong in there is only a negative/positive/and a switch for the drl to dim at night.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I spent a ton of time trying to figure this out before giving up and going with the EXLed strips. I believe one pin gets power for low brightness, the other pin for high brightness and the third is ground. You can buy the plugs but they come without wires attached to them and I don't know what pin is what. Information on how to wire these seems to be a big secret, I didn't even get the info on what the three pins where until after I had given up.

If you search for my name and headlight you will probably find some helpful threads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
besides the obvious brackets, if theyve been modded. id make sure they are properly re sealed so condensation or amounts of water get in.

·
?????
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent a ton of time trying to figure this out before giving up and going with the EXLed strips. I believe one pin gets power for low brightness, the other pin for high brightness and the third is ground. You can buy the plugs but they come without wires attached to them and I don't know what pin is what. Information on how to wire these seems to be a big secret, I didn't even get the info on what the three pins where until after I had given up.

If you search for my name and headlight you will probably find some helpful threads.

Good luck.
from the looks of this picture
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1561577&postcount=2599

the top and bottom pin of the led strip socket is +/- and the middle pin is the dim control/6v . im gonna give it a try when i get the headlights in.

·
?????
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:
got my passenger side headlights in today and i must say.. the condition of the headlights is excellent for $80. all brackets were in tact . first thing i did was get my regulated dc power supply to test if the led strip would come on.

all i did was plug the negative wire on the top pin. and a positive in either the middle or bottom pin works. however i tried lowering the voltage to 6v to see if the middle of lower pin would dim it, but it doesnt look like its dimmed. so im not sure how i will dim it at night lol

so far so good. now i just need to find myself a driver side headlight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
keep up the good work :thmsup:why dont u just order HTG harness for plug & play ?

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
?????
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
keep up the good work :thmsup:why dont u just order HTG harness for plug & play ?
Thanks! HTG harness is too expensive, more than 1 of my headlights lol. i just purchased my driver side headlight so it will be arriving very soon. i also got the connectors and pigtails which will also be arriving tomorrow. this should be my weekend project.

I messed around with the lights again last night and found out that the top pin is still a 12v negative, and the middle pin is DRL on full brightness ( + wire only ) and bottom pin is DRL at half brightness and all this works in the range of 6-12v i altered the power supply i have from 6-12v and the LED strips stayed on at any of those voltages. going by HTG wire harness pictures, i think making your own harness or custom wiring shouldn't be too hard. top and bottom pin just needs to tap into your current strip light socket (+ and - ) and the middle pin needs to tap into your current DRL fuse.

so lights will work as stock with blink blink feature because the light is tapped into your strip light socket. lights will be lit up at full brightness during day ( tapped into DRL fuse ) and lights will dim at night because the strip light socket power will trigger the 3rd pin for dimness.

This is all my theory right now. but i will test it once i get my connectors and wires and update with pictures on my theory.

hope this helps people who are trying to convert to V6 led lights that doesn't want to purchase the overpriced harness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts