Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I bought some cheap Moda wheels and General altimax arctic winter tires in a 205/60/16. This setup works great. The General's are a great cheap snow tire. I am just curious what some of you are running to get through the winter.

·
Out of Gear
196 Posts
Currently using General Altimax Artic. They work well and I recommend them, for their good(but not perfect) snow traction and great dry and wet performance.
Have had better tires(Pacemark Snowtrek, made in Canada!) for pure snow traction with the trade off being compromised wet and high speed performance. But the snow traction is unbeatable. Tested time and again in deep snow at critical conditions.
They never failed.
Loved those tires.

·
EX V6 6spd
133 Posts
I Bought used Blizzaks 2 years ago and the accord is a tank with them on in snow. I cant imagine owning new ones, would be unstoppable ;)

·
24th Gear
1,233 Posts
I Bought used Blizzaks 2 years ago and the accord is a tank with them on in snow. I cant imagine owning new ones, would be unstoppable ;)
This!

I had Blizzaks on my 5th Gen and loved em and then got a set of Blizzak WS60s for my 7th Gen and they held up to the name. Cant wait to see how they do with my 9th Gen.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had Blizzak WS60 (or WS70, can't remember) in the past, and they were great. I'm going to try Michelin Xi3s this time around.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
Had micheline Xi3's before on my nissan and they were good, however i switched last year to Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's and im LOVING them :) would definitely buy them again

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had micheline Xi3's before on my nissan and they were good, however i switched last year to Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's and im LOVING them :) would definitely buy them again
Why do you like the Blizzak more? Can you give your thoughts on handling/snow traction/etc. between the two? I'm just curious as I haven't jumped completely off the fence in deciding between the two.

·
1,655 Posts
Have run Blizzaks since the early 90s. They are great for max traction in snow and on ice, but squirmy and fast wearing on dry roads. I still think the WS50s were the best for traction in really bad stuff. Like the [really] old saying "No IT guy ever got fired for buying an IBM," Blizzak is a safe sane choice. We run WS70s (or 60s, I forget) on our 07.

I've also run the Michelin Arctic Alpin. Vs the Blizzaks, slightly worse in bad stuff but much better on dry pavment. I hear/read of very few complaints about the lastest Michelins.

I'm running the Generals on my 04 and they are my value pick - they seem like more of a traditional snow tire design but nearly match the Blizzaks or Michelins for go-power. Seem to be wearing quite well. And you can't beat the price. Only drawback - they're noisiest of this crowd.

·
39.1 going on 40mpg!
3,699 Posts
I got some Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT's.. I'll let you know how they perform after the first snow storm. So far, they're decent on dry roads.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used set of 4 Blizzacks for 3 winters on my older 2002 BMW and then used Dunlop Winter Sport M past 4 winters on my '06 BMW. Both were excellent, I will say the Dunlop handled better in dry conditions and less noise. But in snow I felt fairly secure with both

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,404 Posts
i had the blizzaks on my 93 for years. the car was an absolute beast in the snow!

my mom has gone with the x-ice's before on her pilot. she really liked them....

there are plenty of good choices out there. good luck with your search...

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
I've used the top contenders from Nokian, Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, and General and for city driving in Ottawa I keep coming back to the Generals. The only ones I have found to be better than the Generals (the Generals are actually Gislaved) are the xi2. I wouldn't touch Blizzaks ever again.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
I've used the top contenders from Nokian, Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, and General and for city driving in Ottawa I keep coming back to the Generals. The only ones I have found to be better than the Generals (the Generals are actually Gislaved) are the xi2. I wouldn't touch Blizzaks ever again.
This is very interesting to me because I've only run Blizzaks. I'll have to look at generals too. How do they compare in terms of winter traction/road noise in the dry.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
This is very interesting to me because I've only run Blizzaks. I'll have to look at generals too. How do they compare in terms of winter traction/road noise in the dry.
I've tried the WS50 and WS70 Blizzaks and found them to be nothing special. They may have had very very very slightly more glare ice grip than the Generals but in all around city driving in packed snow and loose snow and slush I found the Generals just as good as the Blizzaks. The Blizzaks are awful (squirmy and lousy cornering) on dry roads and don't last as long as the Generals do.

In terms of noise the Generals were a little quieter.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,404 Posts
I've tried the WS50 and WS70 Blizzaks and found them to be nothing special. They may have had very very very slightly more glare ice grip than the Generals but in all around city driving in packed snow and loose snow and slush I found the Generals just as good as the Blizzaks. The Blizzaks are awful (squirmy and lousy cornering) on dry roads and don't last as long as the Generals do.

In terms of noise the Generals were a little quieter.
to add: the blizzaks only have the good snow tire compound during the first 50% of the tread. after that, the performance goes down.

·
Registered
481 Posts
thanks Stiller and Markus... good feedback on the Blizzaks. I was thinking of them or the Generals. Now I know which way to lean. And you guys think its ok to use steel wheels for the winter tires?? I'm trying to keep the cost down best I can

1 - 20 of 24 Posts