Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from school on Roosevelt Boulevard, which is know to those from Philla and NJ area. Its a three lane road, I am on the farthest right and the other guy is on the farthest left.
Long story short he decides to change lanes and goes from far left into my lane which is an illegal lane crossing. As I am driving (45mph limit) all I see is a right front fender of the other car in my lane and wheel and hit it head on. My front airbag goes off and my car begins to plow into the snow bank. The thing is it didnt plow into it but my car went on top of the snow and flew 15 feet into the air and went past 30 feet of snow and fell back onto the road I was traveling to. At that point all the side airbags went off and I didnt have a goddamn clue what was happening.

The guy that I plowed into opens my door and starts to say how sorry he is and if I am ok. I get out of my car still not realizing what the **** just happened (was in shock). I look at my car and then all I wanted to do is to knock his teeth in.

I barely made a second payment on this 2011 model after my 08 coupe trade, just to give you an idea how new it is. I walked away without a single scratch after starring in something the cop mentioned as Dukes of Hazzard. A lady stood by me comforting me and telling me she didnt see the actual accident, but only a car go up in the air. I had a burn on the arm from the airbag but no external damage. At this point my chest and back, as well as my leg are in pain. Already seeing a therapist and going to get an xray on my chest this week. I am so ****ing pissed, lost a brand new car to some **** who didnt know what he was doing.

Hoping its written off because when my car landed the engine was hit from the bottom, there was an imprint on the concrete and a big chunk of it missing (or trans).

Anyway, All i can say is thank god for this car. What I just mentioned to you all, everyone else couldn't believe I didn't have any broken bones and etc. Landing down was where most of this damage is from, underneath the car.

Here is whats left of it:

http://img202.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img0426bq.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
The car will be considered totaled by your insurance, and I'm 100% sure the other driver will say you rear ended him.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was no rear end damage, he admitted his fault on the spot and the police officer already knew that since he made an illegal lane change.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive been a Police Officer in NY for almost 13 years, and have taken hundreds of accident reports. Just because he admitted fault at the scene doesn't mean it says that in the report. Get a copy of the accident report.

·
MSM SPORT
262 Posts
Thank God, you're alright. Makes me glad I have the Accord even more now.

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
That really bites, but good job Accord! It protected you like it was supposed to.

Hope you get it all worked out.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Most important, you are alive. From you said happened, sounded like it was a crazy accident. The Accord definetely did it's job protecting you. It is very sad that this happened to your brand new car, but with the insurance, i dont see why you can't pick up another one. Good luck!

·
Captain Slow
249 Posts
damn 15 feet in the air...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ive been a Police Officer in NY for almost 13 years, and have taken hundreds of accident reports. Just because he admitted fault at the scene doesn't mean it says that in the report. Get a copy of the accident report.
Why would it not go in the report?

If one assumes the OP's account is accurate, how would the OP protect himself legally?

Is it possible to secure the testimony of the officer who responded, before the officer forgets?

·
Registered
388 Posts
damn, glad you're ok bro. It was like yesterday when you made that thread about trading your 08 and looking for the taillights.

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
damage

Most insurance adjusters can tell from the damage how a collision occured. If the side fender of the other car is damaged it will indicate some sort of criss cross. I doubt the other driver can say you rear ended him if he has no rear end damage and your statement is correct. You'll be OK with your evidence. The car will speak for itself. I am glad you're OK, the damage to your car is real bad and loss of conscious was a real possibility. If you ever thought of a different color during the last 2 months now would be your time to act. That is the bright side. You will have another buying experience when it is all over. Be well.

·
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB
931 Posts
Hey Igor. I am glad you are safe. cars will come and go but life is precious. hopefully things will work out and you will do just fine! my best wishes are with you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why would it not go in the report?

If one assumes the OP's account is accurate, how would the OP protect himself legally?

Is it possible to secure the testimony of the officer who responded, before the officer forgets?
It may be different in PA, but in NY an accident report is called an MV-104an. At the bottom is a section called Officers notes/description thats where the story goes. What we do is put each drivers story in there "driver of veh#1 states....driver of veh #2 states" that section is about 4-5 lines. Unless the driver of the first vehicle that cut him off told that to the Officer it would NEVER go in the report based on what the other driver said. Your best bet at an accident is to have witnesses at the scene who are willing to be listed on the back of the accident report that always helps. BTW at off all these accident reports I've taken, I'd guess 75% involve some kind of insurance fraud.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,460 Posts
needless to say, glad that you are ok....

i can't count how many times i was in close calls while living in philly a few yrs back....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ouch! Glad you're ok though....

I'm trying to picture (the road) if this happened near I-76 area or further up the way?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Glad to year you escaped that unscathed. I hear accidents on the boulevard all the time on the traffic report.

·
Luv My Honda
89 Posts
WOW that s u c ks but at least you're not seriously hurt, just be glad! You'll be car shopping again soon enough... I'm in the northeast, I drive on Roosevelt BLV all the time and I had my share of close calls with stupid drivers, I'm always on the look out. Good Luck!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts