Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea of how many I4 Accord engines versus V6 engines Honda sells.

Or even what our I4/V6 split is hereabouts on the owner forum?

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
These are just rough numbers of what I was told from a Honda Dealership when I bought an 8th gen V6 in 2008.

The coupes make up 15% of Accord's produced and the V6 makes up 7% of that while the I4's make up 8%. I have no idea how accurate that is, but its the information I can provide for you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are far more 2.4's on the road than V-6's. The sticker is just more affordable to most and provides the best gas mileage.....

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
These are just rough numbers of what I was told from a Honda Dealership when I bought an 8th gen V6 in 2008.

The coupes make up 15% of Accord's produced and the V6 makes up 7% of that while the I4's make up 8%. I have no idea how accurate that is, but its the information I can provide for you.
Way off. When i just bought my car the sales manager told me the 9th gen 4dr sells more than four 4cyl per one V6.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sales of the 4 cylinder dramatically higher of course. I think you'll find the balance on the forum not nearly so bent, as V6 owners tend to be a little more passionate about their vehicle and more likely to participate in ownership forums.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Of course there are more I4s sold than V6s because of the price differential. The I4 has more than adequate performance for everyday driving. Most of the people who are buying the V6 aren't using the extra power anyway. They just like having the top of the line car. Also, sales of the V6 have been boosted by the automotive press's luke warm comments about the CVT when Honda introduced it in 2012 and the loud voices of the few people who have had problems with the CVT on forums such as this.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Of course there are more I4s sold than V6s because of the price differential. The I4 has more than adequate performance for everyday driving. Most of the people who are buying the V6 aren't using the extra power anyway. They just like having the top of the line car. Also, sales of the V6 have been boosted by the automotive press's luke warm comments about the CVT when Honda introduced it in 2012 and the loud voices of the few people who have had problems with the CVT on forums such as this.
I'm a V6 owner and I disagree with the highlighted portion of your post. I find the added power of the V6 useful when merging or passing on the freeway. It's as smooth as silk and I can make my maneuver with ease without experiencing the high revving, straining (my perception of course) of the I4. Try getting around a couple of 18 wheelers during a road trip and you'll see what I mean. Also, by appropriately using the ECON mode, I have been able to average approximately 30 MPG combined city/hwy. I don't have the top of the line car because I couldn't justify the added expense for the navi, etc. What I do have is a vehicle that fits my personality, lifestyle, driving habits, wants, needs, and budget. Folks in these forums should stop "hating" on V6 owners as well as CVT owners. Life is all about choices, isn't it??

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that this is a site that many car enthusiasts read and post to - as such you'll likely see a bigger ratio of v6 to I4 owners here than in the real world.

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Way off. When i just bought my car the sales manager told me the 9th gen 4dr sells more than four 4cyl per one V6.
You should read the post. The stated numbers have nothing to do with Sedans vs. I4's. It is entirely related to the breakdown of Coupes - a car most people are buying for a more sporty feel which is why they have a lot of the coupes in a V6 trim. And even then, the I4's are stated to be produced at a higher percent.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Flyboy, I know ur a lover of your I-4.. but how do you know how V6 owners drive our cars or why we bought one?? I test drove drove both and the V6 engine is light years ahead of the I-4... stronger, smoother and minimal fuel difference, 2 MPGs on Highway per Honda. I drive my V6 Accord hard just like my former BMW 330 Coupe & C-3 Corvette, and my current '08 Mustang GT. And you're right about the CVT, too many complaints still to this day. Perhaps down the road

·
Registered
535 Posts
It may just be the 6mt, but the i4 has plenty of power for passing on the highway. I've never taken it near redline.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Gosh, in real world numbers... I4 engined Accords are a dime o dozen. Even in the 4 door models. V6 accords are rare, and v6 2 doors are even rarer.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
It may just be the 6mt, but the i4 has plenty of power for passing on the highway. I've never taken it near redline.
Lol. I went to redline today so many times I lost count.

Jay

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Again, where is the link to this claim?

Yea that's a pretty questionable assumption, Flyboy

Sent from my iPad Air
Very true. Those looking for a "penis extension" are not buying a V6 Accord. Red coupe, maybe...

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm a V6 owner and I disagree with the highlighted portion of your post. I find the added power of the V6 useful when merging or passing on the freeway. It's as smooth as silk and I can make my maneuver with ease without experiencing the high revving, straining (my perception of course) of the I4. Try getting around a couple of 18 wheelers during a road trip and you'll see what I mean. Also, by appropriately using the ECON mode, I have been able to average approximately 30 MPG combined city/hwy. I don't have the top of the line car because I couldn't justify the added expense for the navi, etc. What I do have is a vehicle that fits my personality, lifestyle, driving habits, wants, needs, and budget. Folks in these forums should stop "hating" on V6 owners as well as CVT owners. Life is all about choices, isn't it??
Flyboy, I know ur a lover of your I-4.. but how do you know how V6 owners drive our cars or why we bought one?? I test drove drove both and the V6 engine is light years ahead of the I-4... stronger, smoother and minimal fuel difference, 2 MPGs on Highway per Honda. I drive my V6 Accord hard just like my former BMW 330 Coupe & C-3 Corvette, and my current '08 Mustang GT. And you're right about the CVT, too many complaints still to this day. Perhaps down the road
What I said was most people. There are owners who are enthusiasts and enjoy having a V6 regardless of their driving style. And, there are people who buy the top of the line product regardless if they ever use the features that are installed because it's the most expensive model.

However, the I4 has enough power and smoothness for most owners and that's why Honda sells more I4 than V6 cars. Choices are a good thing.

When I bought my 2000 Accord Coupe I bought the V6 because I wanted the top of the line Accord. After 14 years of ownership I realized that in everyday driving I didn't use the extra power so this time I went for the I4.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
However, the I4 has enough power and smoothness for most owners and that's why Honda sells more I4 than V6 cars. Choices are a good thing.

When I bought my 2000 Accord Coupe I bought the V6 because I wanted the top of the line Accord. After 14 years of ownership I realized that in everyday driving I didn't use the extra power so this time I went for the I4.
Most of the people who are buying the V6 aren't using the extra power anyway. They just like having the top of the line car.
Yes, choices are a good thing. However, I could reverse your statements and say Honda sells more I4 than V6 cars because most of the people who are buying the I4 are afraid of the V6 power anyway and are too cheap to buy a top of the line car.

Both our statements are purely subjective assumptions.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Sorry to break it to you but if you bought an accord for "performance", you bought the wrong car regardless of your engine.... period. $30K can get you a lot more performance than a honda accord lol. I bought mine for a reliable, low maintenance, economical, good looking daily driver that presents a great value at $22K. I can easily afford the V6 Touring, but when I added up the extra costs of original purchase with maintenance that will be required in the long run along with additional insurance and fuel... over 10years/150k miles i would have had to spend an addition $20K+ more than my sport (wait... that's pretty much another accord sport i could buy). The V6 requires a timing belt/plugs/water pump/valve adjustment @ 105K for about $2500 at the dealer (same 105K for 4cyl costs $850). Each electric motor mounts for the VCM usually fails around 100-120K for $1200 each. VCM, LDW, FWC, Nav, Heated seats... ect all have a very high replacement costs as well.

CVT transmission issues reported to Honda are currently less than 0.01% of accords sold....nice try. If my memory service me right, all 98-04' honda/acura V6 transmissions have a greater than 45% failure rate. Time will only tell how well either transmission will hold up.

The V6 is a stronger powertrain of course, and if I only had one car I may have chosen the Touring. But I have cars that go fast, it just was not a good value IMO. I think that's why 70% accord owners choose the 4cyl.

PS: Editors of Motor Trend, Car&Driver & Edmunds recommend buying the 4cyl CVT as it presents the best value on the market, best CVT built to date, has plenty of power, handles better (200lbs less on the right part of the car) and noticeably better fuel economy.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Yes,most of the people who are buying the I4 are afraid of the V6 power anyway and are too cheap to buy a top of the line car.
I am frugal and not cheap as I have better things to do than buying an expensive Honda Accord that rusts and gets old really fast in MN. It is nothing more than a tool to get you from Point A to Point B. Flyboy is wrong about saying V6 Accords are for people who just want top-of-line or show off their money. I don't really care what and why people buy or drive certain cars. It is just a freaking car. Honda is not that special.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts