Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a 2000 Subaru Outback where the shifter had a direct cable linkage to the automatic transmission. You had to guide it through an offset chicane track and could "feel" as it engaged each gear. If that cable broke or needed adjustment you were SOL until you could get it up on a lift to work on the top side of the trans where the cable attached. But, you could feel which gear you were in without looking.

I am starting to get used to the location of the buttons on the Accord. Reverse is the most obvious of course, but the others still have their position and feel that enables me to know which one I'm in. Plus the dash makes it obvious by using the PDNR indicator.

My wife had a Hyundai that had a problem where the indicator on the dash was off by one gear. Turns out the 10 yr 10K mile warranty only covers what is INSIDE the trans. I replaced the actuator, with one I bought on eBay for $154, on the outside of the trans case and fixed it. Otherwise the dealership would have charged me $1,200! How many boat payments is that again?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It took me a few days longer than it should have to get used to the push button system (yes I am ashamed).

The only issue I really had was accidentally shifting into neutral when trying to find "drive." Outside of being me being an idiot, the buttons have been flawless.

·
2020 CBP Touring
702 Posts
I too was unsure of the buttons. With my '16 Sport, I was always shifting into Sport mode on the highway. Getting used to the push buttons, and have no issues. I do think the e-brake could be an issue. I once was in Atlanta and blew a brake line in my 2004 Tahoe Z71. I used the e-brake to get off the highway safely and held the brake release so I wouldn't lock up the rear brakes. Having the e-brake lever in the center makes using the e-brake in an emergency much easier. After all, it's an emergency brake. Can't really do that with buttons.

I expect the push button setup saves a few pounds and it's all about increased gas mileage these days.
Just a safety FYI for everyone, and many probably already know, but if you lose your hydraulic brakes and the pedal gives you nothing... HOLDING THE PARKING BRAKE BUTTON UP while the car is in motion works just like pulling an emergency brake lever.
It's in the manual but easy to miss.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Which manufacturers ever called it an emergency brake?.

Just a safety FYI for everyone, and many probably already know, but if you lose your hydraulic brakes and the pedal gives you nothing... HOLDING THE PARKING BRAKE BUTTON UP while the car is in motion works just like pulling an emergency brake lever.
It's in the manual but easy to miss.

View attachment 520779
I'd be horrified to pull that switch in an emergency. It seems like it would be an all or nothing sort of deal. In some cases that might be okay, but in my experience applying the parking brake in motion has never resulted in a straight-line stop. It has always ended up with the tail end sliding out dangerously when the brake was applied fully. It was a bit easier to control when you could just adjust how much pressure you applied to the hand brake, but that doesn't seem possible with the electronic button.

·
Registered
130 Posts
And I thought the little shifter on the dash board was weird. :rolleyes:

Give me the car with the peace sign, mag wheels, and four on the floor.
Please don't let me get a flat anywhere near the Dew Drop Inn. :cool:
For those who don't get the reference

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
2020 CBP Touring
702 Posts

I'd be horrified to pull that switch in an emergency. It seems like it would be an all or nothing sort of deal. In some cases that might be okay, but in my experience applying the parking brake in motion has never resulted in a straight-line stop. It has always ended up with the tail end sliding out dangerously when the brake was applied fully. It was a bit easier to control when you could just adjust how much pressure you applied to the hand brake, but that doesn't seem possible with the electronic button.
I tried it. It's not able to be modulated like a typical handbrake obviously, but it applies in a somewhat linear fashion. It's not 100% immediate lockup. I have to admit, the process felt strange and disconcerting to try. No Handbrake turns here guys, at least not from what I can see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was neutral when I tested drive the car. I like it the way you can just shut off the engine w/o pressing the park button first, it will automatically move to park when you press on the engine button. I also like that it save so much room.

Admittedly, sometimes i missed the feeling of using the lever. I also missed that you can move the level to neutral w/o turning on the engine to move the car a little back and front to give more room when i am working in the garage.

Overall, i am quite happy w/ the button design.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With all this talk about emergency brakes, I want to share what happened to me in my previous car, and what was the reason I decided to bite the bullet and finally ditch it. I had a 15' Grand Cherokee where the brakes failed while I was on the highway. Completely zero brakes. I literally yelled STOP while pumping the brakes. Parking brake (foot pedal) wouldn't work either. Fortunately, it was stop and go traffic and I rolled my ash to the shoulder and after restarting the car the brakes worked again.

I filed a NHTSA complaint and sent them my dashcam video, audio, GPS, etc. They're apparently looking into the issue since FCA couldn't duplicate it again.

So does a manual parking brake make it more reliable than electronic? Maybe. Just in my case, it failed anyways.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,274 Posts
With all this talk about emergency brakes, I want to share what happened to me in my previous car, and what was the reason I decided to bite the bullet and finally ditch it. I had a 15' Grand Cherokee where the brakes failed while I was on the highway. Completely zero brakes. I literally yelled STOP while pumping the brakes. Parking brake (foot pedal) wouldn't work either. Fortunately, it was stop and go traffic and I rolled my ash to the shoulder and after restarting the car the brakes worked again.

I filed a NHTSA complaint and sent them my dashcam video, audio, GPS, etc. They're apparently looking into the issue since FCA couldn't duplicate it again.

So does a manual parking brake make it more reliable than electronic? Maybe. Just in my case, it failed anyways.
A manual parking brake isn’t reliant on electronics. It’s not going to fail one minute, then work after a restart.

·
2020 best year
4,122 Posts

I personally wouldn't have pulled/stomped on the emergency brake. If it works, it will lock up your rear wheels and off to the sideways you go. Ever wonder why pro drifting cars have those massive hand brake handles? They use those intentionally to break loose and go sideways.

And I think it really has more to do with the fact that it's an FCA product than anything.

Personally, I would prefer a mechanical one just because I can still engage/release it in an event of electrical failure, but I also have electronic handbrakes on my Camaro right now and I don't hate it.

But seriously, 99% of the people who drive an automatic transmission car don't use handbrakes anyway since Park gear already has a mechanism that locks the car in place reliably. In a manual trans, it's much more critical since engine compression isn't quite as solid as a parking gear pawl.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
108 Posts
It’s not going to fail one minute, then work after a restart.
If you have an actual explanation of what happened, go ahead. I'm just telling the facts of what happened in my incident.

I personally wouldn't have pulled/stomped on the emergency brake. If it works, it will lock up your rear wheels and off to the sideways you go.
That's true. But I was crawling at 2 or 3 mph. I'm not an expert, but I think it was probably safe at that time.

·
2020 best year
4,122 Posts
If you have an actual explanation of what happened, go ahead. I'm just telling the facts of what happened in my incident.

That's true. But I was crawling at 2 or 3 mph. I'm not an expert, but I think it was probably safe at that time.
I was getting the impression you were going faster, but yeah, you should be fine under that speed. Obviously it's not recommended, but it's an emergency.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts