Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,274 Posts
If you have an actual explanation of what happened, go ahead. I'm just telling the facts of what happened in my incident.
I believe you were mistaken. It was a stressful moment. Most people make mistakes in high stress situations and have recollection gaps.

·
2020 best year
4,122 Posts
I believe you were mistaken. It was a stressful moment. Most people make mistakes in high stress situations and have recollection gaps.
See, you are using Honda logic where you can reasonably assume everything will work when you need them.

With FCA, anything goes with their cars.

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
I always think of that young Star Trek actor who died because of his Jeep disengaging out of PARK and pinning him against his own gate. Not similar to the new Accord's "shift mechanism", but "new" and since it was a Chrysler/Fiat product (FCA), it will need refinement after lawsuits.

Side note: I really enjoyed the reboot of Star Trek, and thought Chris Pine did an excellent "Captain Kirk". One of my MBA professors used to talk about how a Captain Kirk would manage a particular situation when the phrase "think outside the box" came up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
See, you are using Honda logic where you can reasonably assume everything will work when you need them.

I had a couple of Dodge/Chrysler SUVs, and they were bulletproof -- one needed an alternator after 5 years, and the other had a recall for a fuel filler neck. That's it. I guess I got the good ones.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying about "Honda logic", but complete brake failure followed by brakes working fine is just crazy. I've never heard of that happening before -- master cylinders don't heal themselves, and brake lines don't either -- but who knows.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I always think of that young Star Trek actor who died because of his Jeep disengaging out of PARK and pinning him against his own gate. Not similar to the new Accord's "shift mechanism", but "new" and since it was a Chrysler/Fiat product (FCA), it will need refinement after lawsuits.
If I recall correctly the Cherokee didn't disengage itself from park. It was user error (based on a terrible design) where drivers did not fully shift into park and left the vehicle in neutral.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wife had a Dodge Stratus with the V6 when we got married. That thing was a piece of crap. Nothing extremely costly broke, but it constantly had little issues that needed to be addressed. The A/C never worked and the brakes constantly had issues. Heat never worked right in winter either. I was so glad when we finally save up enough money to replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In doing my research prior to buying my Touring, virtually every media review commented negatively on the push button transmission controls, saying it was annoying or hard to use. I found it immediately intuitive and after 2 months I love it. It clears up significant space in the center console area vs a traditional shift leaver. I use a phone mount that fits into the never used cigarette lighter in front of the center console and it puts my phone right where a traditional lever would be. It also allows unencumbered access to the cup holders and the dash buttons. I see no down side to it at all. I'm surprised it is not more universally praised.
I totally agree, I b love the extra space, and it just feels hi tech (I know it’s not)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would give ANYTHING to have a push button to put my '17 hybrid in Brake Mode. Heck, even my 1990 Nissan had a button for overdrive, yet here I am 30 years later and I have to perform an action akin to shifting an automatic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're tryng not to waste console space... and sporty/manual control isn't a priority.... just go back to a column shift! My '04 CR-V is column (sorta)... and is my first column-shift in 25+ years. But after drivng the 'V for a day, I find myself reaching up for the shifter.... as nuch as it feels antiquated, it's extremely intuitive!

I had a rental Nissan. Floor-shifted CVT that felt mired in molasses. Almost every time I drove it, I was waiting for it to "change modes"... and it completely refused to even start thinking of going the other direction until the car was 100% stopped for a moment. Not my style. The '06 Accord listens to, and reacts,to, my commands with a mechanical instantaneousnes. Like a car should.

·
Registered
34 Posts
never seen the Honda with one , However having driven a 63 Dodge Dart back in the day with push button , I learned quick & loved it, then more recently drove a Miata with paddle shifter on the steering wheel , how convent & perfect
sign me up for innovation , my 03 ex has the traditional shift & that works well too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just wish that they would have taken the space gained from the lack of a transmission shifter and reduced the size of the center console area. It's huge and I would have enjoyed the extra leg room. I don't remember my 2016 Accord having that big of a center console/shifter area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's just because this generation of buyers hasn't seen it much, if at all...

It's really nothing ground breaking, either.
I had one on an old Dodge Dart I had a zillion years ago.
My father had a Dodge Monaco with push button transmission in 1976 (or was that 1967) it was after his white and turquoise Dodge swept wing 4DR.

·
Registered
108 Posts
True. That would be my own reaction. But in the video, I can easily hear myself pressing down on the foot parking brake twice (it clicks loudly on the way down). No stopping power. I have my theory on how the brakes failed, but given how parking brakes work, I do not understand how the parking brake failed to stop the car.

🤣 My experience exactly. I only owned Accords before that Jeep and came running right back. I could RATTLE off more than 7 or 8 issues the Jeep had. 3 of them major. All of them before 75k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a 2019 Touring Hybrid and I too don't understand the negative comments about the push button transmission. I love it, but then I'm not racing my car or constantly shifting gears.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whenever you move to a different car, there's a learning curve until it becomes your new 'normal'. Each car I've had has involved a slightly different transmission mechanism. My 1998 Camry had a simple pull back/push up transmission gearshift with a weird overdrive button on the side. My 2007 Camry Hybrid has a gated shifter that took a little getting used to. My 2016 Accord Coupe went back to the simple back and forth gearshift but had steering wheel shifters. My 2019 Accord is the push button shifter with wheel shifters.

It's no big deal. I'm about a week in and I still have to look down when I shift into reverse, drive, or park, but I imagine that in a few weeks it will become second nature and I'll be able to do it without looking- just like with every other transmission shifter mechanism that I've had before.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,274 Posts
Whenever you move to a different car, there's a learning curve until it becomes your new 'normal'. Each car I've had has involved a slightly different transmission mechanism. My 1998 Camry had a simple pull back/push up transmission gearshift with a weird overdrive button on the side. My 2007 Camry Hybrid has a gated shifter that took a little getting used to. My 2016 Accord Coupe went back to the simple back and forth gearshift but had steering wheel shifters. My 2019 Accord is the push button shifter with wheel shifters.

It's no big deal. I'm about a week in and I still have to look down when I shift into reverse, drive, or park, but I imagine that in a few weeks it will become second nature and I'll be able to do it without looking- just like with every other transmission shifter mechanism that I've had before.
Every car I drive is different. My car is a 6MT with a handbrake. The JCW is a 6AT with a console shifter, paddle shifters, and a handbrake. My pickup is a 4MT with a foot brake. The cars at work are automatic with column shifters and foot brakes. I never get used to any setup.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
65 Posts
I'm used to it, I just don't like it and prefer stick/lever. I'll live with it for my Accord but in something like a C8 Corvette, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don’t like it because it is a gimmick. It absolutely saves no space whatsoever. It uses the same hole as the regular shifter. Which negates the reason for these type of shifters. It’s like getting rid of the volume knob. Trying to look cooler than it really is but in reality less functional.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts