Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

241 - 260 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe someone posted this earlier but reporting mpg is only helpful when we know things like temperature, terrain, driving mode, driving style, etc in addition to mix of city/highway, average speed, degree of heavy traffic, etc.

ive gotten 75/80 mpg in city over a 5 mile run but it was a slight downhill in 45 degree weather at speeds under 35 mph with less than a handful of lights in eco mode...

My commute driving is 90% highway, relatively flat over 75 miles with an average speed of 40 mph due to congestion in the New York metro area. My mpg range in temperatures between 17-59 degrees has been a low of 45mpg and a high of 64mpg as reported by the fuel meter. My meter seems to under report by about 1-1.5 mpg lower than actual. I drive in eco mode, and use the regen paddles every now and then.

It seems the mpg killers as others have posted are:
1) speeds over 62-65 mph. 35-55 is this car’s sweet spot. It seems any sustained bursts over 65 drop my mileage a bit.

2) temps below 38degrees..it seems there is a more noticeable drop. When temp fluctuates between 20-32 degrees the drop doesn’t seem as severe for my driving

3) terrain...flatter is better...;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's becoming very apparent who drives on the freeway more and who doesn't based on their mpg.
... not to mention those who live in "hill country" vs. those who don't. I live in an area with lots of hills. In fact, most of the routes I drive add insult to injury by having on ramps that are uphill runs with fairly aggressive grade. Even so, I'm clocking in at 43 mpg mixed driving. This is after three months and ~1200 miles.

re: the throttle response discussion, my anecdotal input is... econ < normal < sport (where response is least to greatest). Funny thing, I've had it in econ and it won't even "idle" over the lip into my garage when I'm off the accelerator, whereas normal climbs over it fine. Evidently it doesn't like to give the electric motor that little bit of "fake idle" in econ to just roll when off the pedal. Just my personal experience, although I can reproduce it at will.

I just leave it in normal and drive the car... if I know I'm taking it out to the twisty parts, I'll put it in sport - that's more for the suspension algorithm than anything else, although it does work harder to keep the battery at full charge.

All said and done, the HAH is a constant torque curve from 0 to 4k rpm, so it's not going to react the same way as a traditional ICE setup with auto trans downshift / kick down on WOT. If you wanna go fast just ease into the throttle and let the computer take care of the current draw you need. Otherwise you're just going to frustrate yourself by trying to treat it like something that it isn't - it's just a change in habit, for me it's been easy to get used to and frankly this car is quick and fun to drive.

·
Registered
332 Posts
... It seems the mpg killers as others have posted are: ...
2) temps below 38degrees..it seems there is a more noticeable drop. When temp fluctuates between 20-32 degrees the drop doesn’t seem as severe for my driving
I've reported on my Monday commute before, since it is long and consistent enough for comparison. It's 44 miles each way, starting with suburban highway, then rush hour beltway, then rural highways.
In summer, I'm typically over 50 mpg. Last week at 22° to 25° it was 41.5 mpg. This morning it was 34° and I got 46.5 mpg (all of these numbers are before applying a 3% adjustment for trip computer underestimation). [Edit] In the drive back, it was 49° and I got 49 mpg.

So below 35°, it seems to be 1 mpg lost for every 2° drop. The drop seems to begin from about 50°.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've repprted on my Monday commute before, since it is long and consistent enough for comparison. It's 44 miles each way, starting with suburban highway, then rush hour beltway, then rural highways.
In summer, I'm typically over 50 mpg. Last week at 22° to 25° it was 41.5 mpg. Today it was 34° and I got 46.5 mpg (all of these numbers are before applying a 3% adjustment for trip computer underestimation).

So below 35°, it seems to be 1 mpg lost for every 2° drop.
Jeff, yes you’ve been detailed in reporting your mileage under conditions so it’s helped for sure. Mine was a general ask of people so folks that are perusing the board prior to buying a HAH have a sense of real world performance to inform their purchase decision. Your input certainly helped me in buying my 2019 2 months ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
typical driving speeds are 35 - 40 mph in town. I haven't seen that high of mpg displayed before or since so I was just wondering if my display was accurate or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
typical driving speeds are 35 - 40 mph in town. I haven't seen that high of mpg displayed before or since so I was just wondering if my display was accurate or not.
It’s hard to say. Could depend on the length of your trips, stoplights, how aggressively you accelerate, how cold or warm the battery and/or engine is, etc. The hybrid powertrain is at its most efficient when it’s had the opportunity to warm up and when outdoor temps are at or above about 45, among myriad other factors. A short 3.7 mile trip from my house to Walmart might yield mpgs in the 30s but on the way home in the 50s. Perhaps you could try manually calculating your mpg. The computer understates my per tank average by about 1.5 miles/ gal. I’ve averaged about 48 over 9900 miles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think where people are getting hung up is on category of transmission... the ratio can be single speed fixed or you can have multiple gears... in the case of iMMD with "eCVT" the gear ratios displayed are fixed... what's "continuously variable" is the source of the electric power driving the electric motor with the exception being straight clutch lock up between the ICE and wheels under specific cruise conditions... based on all the diagrams presented, there's no evidence of a traditional CVT which is continuously varying gear ratios between either the electric motor or ICE.

tl;dr yes it's a transmission, but regardless of ICE lock up or varying source of electric power between battery and ICE/generator, the gear ratios used are always fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2018 accord hybrid touring.
Over 50f -82f, no ac 52 going to work 48 coming home(elevation change)
Under 50f with winter tires, 38 going 32 coming home.
Second winter, second summer...
Crazy how bad of a hit cold temps , winter blend, soft sticky Bridgestone Blizack tires.... all affect the mpg so much!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Accord lx and 2019 Accord Hybrid base
222 Posts
Typical mpg variances for me. The lowest was 75 mph on hwy with a LOT of long steep hills. The others were a combo of in town and suburban driving at 55-65 mph up and down big hills. Temps 35-60 no a/c. So essentially high 30s to mid 50s. I'm new to Hybrids so how to get good mileage is a bit different than my previous 35 years of driving....

Attachments

Reactions: keithstef

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to Fuelly app, I average 42.6mpg based off 8 fill ups for my 2020 HAH on stock wheels and tires. I’m in Northern California in an area with mild weather and hilly terrain.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I live in Alabama and for those that don’t know, we are the southern tip of the Appalachians (lots of big hill/small mountains). Still learning the car but driving easy 90 %!of time with a handful of time I went wot or used sport mode, mpg was 45 for the tank. Not too shabby!

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's the "hilly terrain" part that kills it all else equal imho
While this may be somewhat true, it isn't the largest factor.
Temps over 50f:
Going to work 52 miles, 700ft elevation drop 52-54mpg,
Coming home 52 miles, 700ft elevation clinp, 42-46mpg.

Winter 32- 38mpg going to work.
32 - 36mpg coming home

·
Registered
222 Posts
Temps over 50f:
Coming home 52 miles, 700ft elevation clinp, 42-46mpg.

32 - 36mpg coming home

Wow thats a huge difference!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow thats a huge difference!
Yes... its crazy.
This morning driving to work.....
42f...
47.4mpg
Same gas, same winter tires, same road/desent....

Only difference was I used key fob #2... different seat position. More reclined.
Hmmmm? Less aerodynamic drag?

·
Registered
140 Posts
it doesn't help that the instantaneous meter is off from the actual mileage... mine has read under by about 2 to 3 mpg on every tank I've put in so far (e.g. reads 40 mpg, hand calculated 42 to 43 mpg)

not that it really bothers me... I've resigned myself to being a "one leaf" driver... actually, more like a dead leaf on a withered stick the way I drive :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Temps over 50f:
Coming home 52 miles, 700ft elevation climb, 42-46mpg.

32 - 36mpg coming home
This adds an interesting data point about whether the engine cools while it is not running. I'm assuming that both routes have some long down-hill runs, but they are much longer on the downhill-to-work side.
  • Yes, I always state my assumptions when I make them, unlike some others.
  • The reason I make this assumption, is because my 44-mile trips without such periods allow the engine and battery to reach a temperature where I lose only about 5 mpg.
The point is that the temperature affected the downhill-to-work trip much more than the uphill-to-home one. The likely cause is the longer periods where the engine is off, so it cools more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am actually wondering if I am doing something wrong with mine, or if it's still that I am new to Honda's "Two-Motor" or iMMD system. I'm used to Toyota Hybrids, so I am sure this one is a little different.

The driver information display says my average is 39.8<->39.9, currently. I seem to have trouble breaking into the low 40s. I am trying to drive as I would with my Prius (which I traded in as a down for this car) by using the pulse-and-glide method, along with throttle feathering to try and keep the car in EV mode. I am keeping it in ECO mode. The engine seems more efficient being used as a generator than as motive power. It seems like if I am going up a slight incline and I just linearly apply the accelerator, it engages the ICE and doesn't want to be in EV mode, but then if I let off and then press the throttle back down it engages the electric motor and I get a burst of "torque" which allows me to accelerate up the hill in EV mode for a distance. Does anyone else do this/notice this?

I just bought the car on Saturday, March 14th, and haven't gone below the half tank mark, yet. So, it's got range for sure. When I rolled it off the lot from the dealer it had only 38 miles on it, but the MPG average was tanked at like 24 MPG, it's been climbing steadily since I bought it, but it's plateauing at like 39. I live in San Diego, which has plenty of topography, but it never gets THAT cold here (today was 48, even though it was raining). What am I doing wrong?

Any advice for a new HAH owner? I like the car, but I did buy a hybrid for a reason.

241 - 260 of 341 Posts