Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
541 - 560 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring and basically from the get go my mileage has been 47-49mpg overall. However, my gas mileage varies a lot but it depends on the season. I typically get 41-47mpg late fall-end of winter, and then 49-59mpg spring through early fall.
I don't know if anyone else has this "issue" but my indicated mpg is usually 4-6 mpg less than calculated, i.e. my car will say 45.X but I will calculate 49.X. I now just automatically add 2 mpg to whatever my car shows. All my past vehicles would overestimate mpg compared to what I actually got, i.e. my 2010 fusion hybrid would say I got 40mpg, but I would only calculate 32mpg.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I know there has been lots of talk about winter driving. I am very disspointed so far in our Accords MPG. Is this a pacific NW winter thing? It’s not THAT cold here. Avg last month was low of 40 and high of 55. Even warmed up, 60 degrees outside, trip reset city driving I’m only getting high 30’s vs. the 44 EPA ratings show. I haven’t even been able to clock a 44MPG trip (On the computer at least) with the most sensitive driving I could possibly Do.

’22 Accord Hybrid Touring

2k miles so far, these are the calculationus from the tanks I have done so far

Tank 1- 36 MPG (Normal mode 80% city)
Tank 2- 34 MPG (Normal Mode 80% city)
Tank 3- 38 MPG (ECO, 30% city)
Tank 4- 34 MPG (Normal, 80% city)
Tank 5- 32 MPG (Normal, 80% city)

This seems WAY off! Anyone else having this issue with the touring/larger wheel set Up?

Thank you in advance
I don't think there is anything wrong with your car. You just have to drive it right plus the weather does affect mpg.

Make sure your psi is correct. You may be lower than the Honda recommended 33psi. Besides in winter, the cold weather may likely drop your cold psi below 33psi. If I lived in that area, I would always keep my psi during the cold months at 36psi. That way when it drops with cold weather, it will not go below 33psi.

So, check your psi and fill up a new tank of gas and drive normally. You should see above 45mpg easy.

But it still looks like it is still cold where you are and that is still affecting your mpg. The car gives you your best mpg in the summer months. So, if it is not summer yet, do not expect excellent mpg.

Well, I look forward to good mpg and I hypermile too. It is very interesting to me the way I drive this car. Like I have never driven a car in my life before. The main things are; I rarely use my brakes as I anticipate a lot of things and I let the car coast a lot. I know if I had bought a different vehicle like the 2.0T Accord or a Maxima, I would be driving it hard and very fast. But I have a Hybrid and I enjoy driving it like a hybrid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know there has been lots of talk about winter driving. I am very disspointed so far in our Accords MPG. Is this a pacific NW winter thing? It’s not THAT cold here. Avg last month was low of 40 and high of 55. Even warmed up, 60 degrees outside, trip reset city driving I’m only getting high 30’s vs. the 44 EPA ratings show. I haven’t even been able to clock a 44MPG trip (On the computer at least) with the most sensitive driving I could possibly Do.

’22 Accord Hybrid Touring

2k miles so far, these are the calculationus from the tanks I have done so far

Tank 1- 36 MPG (Normal mode 80% city)
Tank 2- 34 MPG (Normal Mode 80% city)
Tank 3- 38 MPG (ECO, 30% city)
Tank 4- 34 MPG (Normal, 80% city)
Tank 5- 32 MPG (Normal, 80% city)

This seems WAY off! Anyone else having this issue with the touring/larger wheel set Up?

Thank you in advance
]

A couple other questions on your drives: are they short commutes like under 5 miles? Also, to some level rainy days can affect mpgs. Not sure what part of pacific NW you’re in but this could affect it also. Finally, do you use the cabin heat or do you have heated seats and use them en lieu of the cars heat. This can drop mpgs as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring and basically from the get go my mileage has been 47-49mpg overall. However, my gas mileage varies a lot but it depends on the season. I typically get 41-47mpg late fall-end of winter, and then 49-59mpg spring through early fall.
I don't know if anyone else has this "issue" but my indicated mpg is usually 4-6 mpg less than calculated, i.e. my car will say 45.X but I will calculate 49.X. I now just automatically add 2 mpg to whatever my car shows. All my past vehicles would overestimate mpg compared to what I actually got, i.e. my 2010 fusion hybrid would say I got 40mpg, but I would only calculate 32mpg.
I experience the opposite. My car usually calculates my mpg about 1.5 below what the actual consumption is per tank. This being said, I still average well above the rated mpg so no complaints.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There aren't any bars of gas left... You run it to 1 mile of range left!? Wow, I have never gone below 80 miles range left.
On this tank of gas, I got 682 miles and I averaged 56mpg.

I pushed it a bit to confirm something for myself. When DTE immediately turns to zero (0), I can confirm my car has 1 gallon of gas left.I drove for 51 miles past DTE 0 before I put gas. I filed up 12.75 gallons of gas and my gas tank is 12.8 gallons. So, I was basically out of gas. But it was my personal test and I just wanted to confirm something for myself.
Whenever DTE turns to zero, look at your mpg that you have gotten so far on that tank. You are guaranteed atleast half of that number as long as you are driving the car like a hybrid should be driven. That is for those who for some reason find themselves at a point where their DTE turns to zero and they are not near a gas station for some reason or they are in a hurry to get to work or somewhere and do not have time to stop for gas.

Then this my numbers so far on the new tank of gas. I will see how this tank goes. I will not let this current tank go to zero though.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Hybrid Touring
74 Posts
On this tank of gas, I got 682 miles and I averaged 56mpg.

I pushed it a bit to confirm something for myself. When DTE immediately turns to zero (0), I can confirm my car has 1 gallon of gas left.I drove for 51 miles past DTE 0 before I put gas. I filed up 12.75 gallons of gas and my gas tank is 12.8 gallons. So, I was basically out of gas. But it was my personal test and I just wanted to confirm something for myself.
Whenever DTE turns to zero, look at your mpg that you have gotten so far on that tank. You are guaranteed atleast half of that number as long as you are driving the car like a hybrid should be driven. That is for those who for some reason find themselves at a point where their DTE turns to zero and they are not near a gas station for some reason or they are in a hurry to get to work or somewhere and do not have time to stop for gas.

Then this my numbers so far on the new tank of gas. I will see how this tank goes. I will not let this current tank go to zero though.
Got yah.

I took a trip to Arizona driving from Vegas to Kingman, Arizona and I was sweating it that I had 80 range left and the nearest gas station was 20 miles away.... Lol, you showed me I was over reacting hahaha.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got yah.

I took a trip to Arizona driving from Vegas to Kingman, Arizona and I was sweating it that I had 80 range left and the nearest gas station was 20 miles away.... Lol, you showed me I was over reacting hahaha.
I think we just got the summer blend at our local Costco. I filled up this morning and my mpg according to the HAH was significantly higher while temperatures and weather had not changed. My round trip today to and from work at 59.5 miles was 63.0. My fill up from last week was one of my best and comes close to my best from last fall when I purchased it. Hoping this tankful will exceed 60 for the first time!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I experience the opposite. My car usually calculates my mpg about 1.5 below what the actual consumption is per tank. This being said, I still average well above the rated mpg so no complaints.
I guess I made my comment kind of confusing, my car will calculate 4-5 mpg less than actual consumption. I have no issues with it like I said, was just curious if others had a similar situation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Getting 60mpg after 294 miles so far on this tank of gas. This is 50% city and 50% highway. Top speed 65mph, but most often staying between 55mph and 60mph. Speed limit 60mph. My psi set at 40psi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Getting 60mpg after 294 miles so far on this tank of gas. This is 50% city and 50% highway. Top speed 65mph, but most often staying between 55mph and 60mph. Speed limit 60mph. My psi set at 40psi.

That’s really good for 50% highway even if you are cruising on the slow side of the limit.

I’m on track for best tank yet so far now that CT temps have warmed up. I’m averaging 62.5mpg with 400miles completed. Hope to keep it going. 10% highway, 90% backroads.

·
Registered
2022 hybrid Accord EX-L radiant red
38 Posts
I'm just about at 48mpg now that the cold weather is going away. 2022 EX-L hybrid. In the cold weather, it had gone down to about 44.

I drive in the city doing DoorDash deliveries so this is actually excellent.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Done with this tank of gas. Got 59mpg after doing 734 miles on this tank of gas. This is 50% city and 50% highway. Running 40psi. Top speed 65mph.

I went to Costco and filled up at the cost of $51.9 to put 12.7 gallons. Gas prices have really gone up.

After fillup, I went to Discount Tire and put all my tires from 40 to 45psi. The sidewall on my tires says maximum psi is 50psi. I will keep it like this for a long time until I have a reason to change it.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
118 Posts
I just had my best tank. 1.66g/100mi or 60.2mpg, hand calculated. Stayed off the interstate and about 100 miles was with a 15mph tailwind driving at 55mph. Beat my previous best of 1.74g/100mi.

Gas prices usually go up on Monday's around here so I filled up Sunday before empty. Went up 20 cents this morning, now $4.89. Even with the higher gas prices my cost per mile has gone up less than a penny.

Estimated range for this next tank was 689 miles. Still amazed that a large vehicle like the Accord can pull this off and still have comfort and speed when needed. Next goal will be under 1.6g/100mi for a tank.

Vehicle Hood Font Personal luxury car Auto part

·
Registered
516 Posts
Gas prices are going through the roof and it is not going to get better any time soon. I am glad I am part of those who own a Hybrid. I am also glad to say I do hypermile and I like seeing the mpg I get. Gives me some slight relief from these high gas prices.

If not of the fact that I own a Hybrid, I would have canceled my planned 27 days road trip to Canada and back which will see me drive 7,000 to 8,000 miles. But I am really curious to see what my total cost of gas will be at the end of this trip which starts in about 2 weeks from today. My rough estimate now is that gas will cost me about $1,500 to drive about 8,000 miles. Gas prices in Canada are way higher than in the US.

So far on this current tank of gas I am averaging 59mpg after 310 miles so far. This is 50% highway and 50% city driving. I am still running my tires at 45psi. And may keep it at that for my 27 days road trip since my car would be very loaded and so I need higher psi to compensate for the extra load on the car.

·
Registered
2022 Accord Hybrid Touring
7 Posts
I'm in the "car reads 2mpg high" club. Still, not terrible. Previous tanks 1 and 2 were mostly highway (2 up to some mountains and 1 back down). Stock 19s and not intentionally driving especially economically.
Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L (radiant red metallic)
60 Posts
Really like this thread! It helps to know what other owners are experiencing with gas mileage.

My 2021 Accord EX-L mpg appears to depend on temperature, altitude, speed and driving style, which is probably no surprise. Worst mileage has been in cold weather and at altitude in the summer (mid 30s) and the best has been driving around where I live (central Ohio) in warmer weather, where 48 mpg isn't too difficult to achieve. It's pretty cool when your car can actually get the mpg that's on the sticker.

Is there a summary somewhere of hyper-mileage techniques? It sounds like something I'd like to try if it's possible to do so without becoming an obstruction for other drivers.

541 - 560 of 589 Posts