Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
561 - 580 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Is there a summary somewhere of hyper-mileage techniques? It sounds like something I'd like to try if it's possible to do so without becoming an obstruction for other drivers.
  • Maintain correct psi.
  • Drive smoothly
  • Avoid using AC
  • Drive speed limit
  • Maintain speed limit
  • Coast to slow down
  • Drive defensively
  • Take fuel efficient routes
  • Keep your car well maintained

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
118 Posts
  • Maintain correct psi.
  • Drive smoothly
  • Avoid using AC
  • Drive speed limit
  • Maintain speed limit
  • Coast to slow down
  • Drive defensively
There are many more “advanced” techniques that have been used in the past. Wayne Gerdes is the King and has been using ICE-off, ridge-riding, potential parking and many more for years. I started some of these behaviors 15 years ago and they just become ingrained.

Some can be dangerous or annoying to other drivers like drafting and slowing down up hills and using gravity to race down them. If no one is following me on back roads I drive will drive at a constant power instead of a constant speed. I slow down a little going uphill and get that energy back downhill. The HAH power meter makes this easy because in the past I would have to maintain consistent pressure on the accelerator. DWL, or drive with load is the hypermilers term.

Here’s the rabbit hole CleanMPG

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L (radiant red metallic)
60 Posts
  • Maintain correct psi.
  • Drive smoothly
  • Avoid using AC
  • Drive speed limit
  • Maintain speed limit
  • Coast to slow down
  • Drive defensively
Thanks for the list! All of these make sense with one exception" Take fuel efficient routes. Can you clarify that? It could mean slower / longer routes to avoid the fuel cost of high speeds. Perhaps it means to select routes with fewer stop signs / lights. Or maybe both or neither?

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are many more “advanced” techniques that have been used in the past. Wayne Gerdes is the King and has been using ICE-off, ridge-riding, potential parking and many more for years. I started some of these behaviors 15 years ago and they just become ingrained.

Some can be dangerous or annoying to other drivers like drafting and slowing down up hills and using gravity to race down them. If no one is following me on back roads I drive will drive at a constant power instead of a constant speed. I slow down a little going uphill and get that energy back downhill. The HAH power meter makes this easy because in the past I would have to maintain consistent pressure on the accelerator. DWL, or drive with load is the hypermilers term.

Here’s the rabbit hole CleanMPG
Good stuff, and the link is completely new to me. Looks like I have a few things to learn and try. Thanks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
There are many more “advanced” techniques that have been used in the past. Wayne Gerdes is the King and ...
Lost my respect in the first article I read about him. Not that many of the techniques don't work, but his originally-stated goal was not efficiency, per se. It was not sending money to the oil-producing countries he didn't like. One of his techniques (and I don't recall the exact numbers, only the result) was taking a 20% longer commute in order to get 10% better mpg. But ... (1.20)/(1.10)=1.09, which means 9% more gallons.

Here’s the rabbit hole CleanMP
Yep. Tunnel vision on mpgs, ignoring everything else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
one of the techniques is to shut off the engine while coasting downhill. Fine on a manual car but a huge no-no with an automatic. The pump is driven by the input shaft…no input, no lubrication. I wonder how many transmissions he’s destroyed that way…Honey, I saved $1 in gas but we need to spend $4k to fix the car!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lost my respect in the first article I read about him. Not that many of the techniques don't work, but his originally-stated goal was not efficiency, per se. It was not sending money to the oil-producing countries he didn't like. One of his techniques (and I don't recall the exact numbers, only the result) was taking a 20% longer commute in order to get 10% better mpg. But ... (1.20)/(1.10)=1.09, which means 9% more gallons.

i find myself doing a similar trade off during my commute everyday. I really have two commuting option. First is to take the highway to and from work. It gets me there at speeds of 75mph in 40 minutes traveling 40 miles. Second option which I use unless I’m in a hurry cuts ten miles taking mostly back roads but takes 15 extra minutes of travel. I constantly wonder to myself if I should value my time at home or work (my own business) over better mpgs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i find myself doing a similar trade off during my commute everyday. I really have two commuting option. First is to take the highway to and from work. It gets me there at speeds of 75mph in 40 minutes traveling 40 miles. Second option which I use unless I’m in a hurry cuts ten miles taking mostly back roads but takes 15 extra minutes of travel. I constantly wonder to myself if I should value my time at home or work (my own business) over better mpgs.
As is often the case, it depends. I'm not a big drive-for-the-sake-of-driving kind of person so shorter times often win unless that shorter drive is stress filled -- think high speeds sprinkled with rapid full stops, other drivers on the cusp of road rage, etc.

Perhaps the choice is a balancing act.

My goal is more modest: to incrementally improve techniques for better mpg over time. If the techniques become too hard or dangerous, I'm out. The suggestions by PetitFrereAccord are likely to be my starting point.

·
Registered
516 Posts
On this tank of gas, I got 58mpg and 700 miles. This is 40% city driving and 60% highway driving with a top speed of 65mph. Tires set at 45psi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On this tank of gas, I got 58mpg and 700 miles. This is 40% city driving and 60% highway driving with a top speed of 65mph. Tires set at 45psi.

Nice again with all the highway mileage! Just curious, at the next fillup, what does your range estimate start at? I haven't had the occasion yet to experience more than 25% HWY driving per tankful but we are planning a trip to DC in a few weeks so will get to experience the downtrend soon enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was shooting for 65mpg with the last tankful. Was doing really well until near the end of the tank when it poured one day that dropped me down about 1mpg over that 600 miles travelled up until then. Filled this morning and got 64.3mpg on the computer, but 63.5 per my calculation. Same as usual driving, 90% hilly backroads and 10% hilly highway (Hilly for CT standards...).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is every 10th Gen Hybrid owner getting for fuel economy? And please, to make this most useful and informative, tell us your location so we know what sort of driving conditions you have.

2019 exl. very hot climate (a/c is essential) with short winters. with the factory tires was averaging 41 point something most of the time. trying to use the paddles and stay in the blue on acceleration. daily commute around 16-17 miles with a fair number of traffic lights and mostly rolling plain terrain with low hills. this state known to have some of the worst drivers in the country, frequent tailgating and weaving in and out etc. and it seems safer to be travelling at a rate where you are in the flow of traffic. sometimes the car would vary significantly in mileage with no change in habits. Very common to make short trips however when we have kids etc. Likely would have not bought it if I had done more research beforehand. mileage seems best around 35-45 mph suburban driving with occasional traffic light in eco and with the cruise set and a long enough trip. If the car sits outside a while in the sun in 90+ F days efficiency seems to take a hit as well. I hardly ever drive below the limit.

Have 51k miles. had an urgent problem where I had 3 tires deflating at once and they were too worn for repair and had to get a new set (and they are standard, not apparently lower rolling resistance) and it was the only set available quickly. Mileage took an immediate hit and now averaging about 36 point something. one advantage the new tires seem to have is that they seem to grip the road better and be more stable when there is water on the road, which is common around here. About half the time in commute it will get over 40 for the trip but for really short trips it is lucky to make it into the low 30s. Only reassurance is that I'm sure that if I had a nonhybrid model it would probably be worse in my situation. there are a few areas in my daily routine that have stop signs at the bottom of hills and that scenario, having to accelerate up a hill from a stop, KILLS mileage. Mostly I am still trying to stay in the blue and using paddles to decelerate etc accelerating halfway up the blue if no one is behind me but higher into the blue but not above if someone is behind me and I don't want to be too annoying. I will likely just give this car to my 16 year old soon and just get something else.

What is better? accelerating as slow as possible (which keeps the gas engine running longer) or accelerating somewhat faster while staying in the blue and getting up to speed quicker?

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
583 Posts
I took a road trip from east Bay Area to Lassen Volcanic National Park. I have 4 meals people in the car the whole way.

Elevation was from sea level to 8300 ft then down to sea level.

Temperature was ~80 on most of I-5, then dropped to ~60 when entering the park because of the elevation gain.

I averaged 38.2 mpg.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No traffic behind me coming home from errands. 15 mile trip in urban and backroads. I was able to drive 4 miles on electrons only in the middle of it.
Wheel Vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget

the entire 96.6 mile trip with light traffic. Currently shaping up to be a best tank with 61.0mpg showing.

Speedometer Steering part Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design

·
Registered
40 Posts
This thread makes me depressed! lol! 2018 HAH Touring - with stock tires, I used to be able to get 47mpg (mixed hwy/city). Had to switch tires earlier this year, and decided to go with Michelin crossclimate, knowing that mpg would likely dip about 10% (from other members on this forum). Got about 42-43 mpg for about 5 months. For the past couple of months, it has dipped to ~38mpg - similar driving conditions, tried different gas stations.

May be coincidence, but I noticed that even though the battery shows over 40-50% charge, it doesn't always switch to electric power (even at cruising speeds - power meter gauge almost horizontal to the left - just barely above the green bar). I know the battery life suffers in cold weather - wonder if the hot TX weather is causing this? Weird.
Asked the dealership and they said "mpg depends on a lot of factors - can't comment on it... blah blah"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dumb question, but have you checked tire pressures? Guessing most of the recent decline is higher use of AC. And yes, it’s my understanding hot batteries are bad as well albeit not as bad as cold. I find myself cracking the windows when parked at work in the sun to at least keep cabin temps from soaring that would affect the battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speedometer Car Vehicle Odometer Tachometer
So this will be my last post on MPG big accomplishments I’m guessing for some time. I’ve reached and exceeded my goal and found myself spending more thought during driving paying attention to everything going on than I usually do and it makes it difficult when listening to audiobooks during my commute. :). Anyways, I had a full two weeks of good weather here in southern CT. No rain and no crazy wind and heat was manageable that I didn’t have to use AC at all. Again, 90% hilly backroads 30 miles each way to work and 10% of that is highway (55-65mph).

Computer calculated 66.6mpgs. My calculation as usual was a bit lower at 65.8mpg.

Going to DC with the family this weekend for several days so will be my first real test on highway travel with a full car and AC on the whole time so I figured I’d end the prior week on a high note knowing to expect a significant decline.

Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dumb question, but have you checked tire pressures? Guessing most of the recent decline is higher use of AC. And yes, it’s my understanding hot batteries are bad as well albeit not as bad as cold. I find myself cracking the windows when parked at work in the sun to at least keep cabin temps from soaring that would affect the battery.
Yeah, tire PSI is correct (spec 33PSI - I'm at 34PSI cold). AC yeah, probably. But that's a bigger dip in mpg than any of my prior cars (non-hybrid). Hopefully it will improve once the heat reduces.

561 - 580 of 589 Posts