Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2015 accord sport and was wondering if anyone knows of any good wheel cleaners out there. I always seem to have a hard time getting all the brake dust off and was wondering if wheel cleaners are a good idea. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
Any of them are better than regular car wash soap. I had decent results with the armorall wheel cleaner. Just ordered the wolfgang wheel kit since im having trouble keeping my wheels clean too. Also, make sure to use a good brush.

·
Blow The Carbon Out
190 Posts
Many are good. Just read the bottle and make sure they are ok for painted wheels or whatever wheels you have. I have some stuff called Purple Dragon from a local carwash supply distributor. Dilutes 4:1, so it has lasted many years. Sonax is good stuff too.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
The best wheel cleaner is car wax. I use Meguiar's Gold class liquid. It will take some effort the first time to get the brake dust off, but then future cleanings are much easier because the wax keeps the dust from digging into the paint. It is also safe for all paints so no worries about messing up anything.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,539 Posts
The best wheel cleaner is car wax. I use Meguiar's Gold class liquid. It will take some effort the first time to get the brake dust off, but then future cleanings are much easier because the wax keeps the dust from digging into the paint. It is also safe for all paints so no worries about messing up anything.
Here we go again with "the best "

No it's not, it does nothing to detach the ferrite specs microscopically and long term they kill a wheel.

Stick with the de-iron products like above and then put what ever last step product you want on it....

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Actually it does remove the microscopic ferrite specs. It polishes the surface of the paint removing any and all contaminants. No need at all for harsh chemicals. I have been using nothing but car wax on my wheels for over 30 years! And I am super picky about my wheels. I will say it again - car wax is the best wheel cleaner ever!

You want long term examples - I have Acura RSX type-S wheels on my wife's Odyssey. They are 12 years old and still look great (other than where the tire shop butchers scraped up the lip on two of them). And I just sold my Galant GSX which was 25 years old. Nothing but car wax on the wheels and they still looked great.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sonax or Meguiars DUB (Advance Auto). I switched to DUB because of the price point and is about as good as Sonax. Every now and then Advance has a special where a bottle is $5. I load up with 4-6 bottles when they do that.

Clean them with these, clay, then seal with a durable sealant like Collinite 845 or Blackfire All metal Sealant. Or go to a coating if you have the coin. I seal mine every 6 months. Good idea to get some tar remover as well to remove any tar/asphalt bits from the face and barrels (Stoners Tarminator or CarPro TarX). I do mine off the car. Good time to give the wheel wells a good cleaning as well while each tire is off.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
Opti-Coat Pro included my wheels. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Cleaning is now a rinse and wipe.

If you can afford the coating, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Here we go again with "the best "

No it's not, it does nothing to detach the ferrite specs microscopically and long term they kill a wheel.

Stick with the de-iron products like above and then put what ever last step product you want on it....
Stop the nonsense.

1) Start with clean wheels.
2)Apply wax.

I don't use any kind of wheel or tire cleaners ever, but when I wax my car, I wax the wheels. Every time I wash it I watch 95% of it RINSE off. once I apply a brush or sponge to it, the last 5% is gone then.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Yes wax is a cleaner. It is a great cleaner! Liquid wax contains a strong solvent that makes the wax liquid. That solvent dissolves road tar, bug remains, etc.

·
Carpe Diem
3,160 Posts
Yes wax is a cleaner. It is a great cleaner! Liquid wax contains a strong solvent that makes the wax liquid. That solvent dissolves road tar, bug remains, etc.
Would you wax your car's paint without washing it first?

Do you keep a bottle of wax in the trunk for spot cleaning bird bombs?

:nuts:

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Yes and Yes! Wax is great for cleaning because it lubricates the surface of the paint making it less likely to get scratched. Of course if there is a bunch of dirt or bird droppings it is best to get the bulk of it off first with a hose and plain water. Then wax that puppy clean as a whistle!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yes and Yes! Wax is great for cleaning because it lubricates the surface of the paint making it less likely to get scratched. Of course if there is a bunch of dirt or bird droppings it is best to get the bulk of it off first with a hose and plain water. Then wax that puppy clean as a whistle!
Wax doesn't have much, if any, cleaning or correcting abilities. Wax is considered an LSP (Last Step Protection). This means you must clean and prep the surface prior to applying any type of wax or sealant.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
I use sonax on really dirty wheels. When I seal the car I seal the wheels. Typically I can use the soapy water after washing the body and everything comes off.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,539 Posts

Where do you get this crap, can you show us some links?

Of course you can't because you are making it up...

As said above, we are talking about getting wheels clean, not waxing them...and you have to be the first person in history that I've ever heard that carries wax around to get bird crap off of cars… Oh my God..... serenity now!

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
Where do you get this crap, can you show us some links?
I don't get this information from the internet. It comes from personal experience. Do I need to make a video and post it on the internet and then give you a link to it?

I bet the wheels on your car are dirty right now. Take some liquid car wax and a cotton rag and give it a try. Do not wash the wheel first or use any toxic cleaners on it, just take the rag, put a squirt of wax on it and get ready to be amazed as the gunk comes right off.

Then come back here and tell your story - "this amazing RacerRik guy knows his shit!"

I have been fixing cars, cleaning cars and racing cars for 35 years. When I figured out how great wax is as a paint cleaner, there was no internet - there weren't even any computers. I taught myself how to rebuild and tune Holley 4 barrel carburetors. I taught myself how to rebuild engines and automatic transmissions. When carburetors went the way of the Dodo bird, I learned about fuel injection and electronic engine control. I did all this stuff the old fashioned way - get out there and try it.

I love the internet as much as the next guy, but personal experience goes a long way in my book.

So don't preach to me that wax is not a cleaner because you did not read about it on the internet. Go out to your car and try it.

I try to be helpful on the many forums I participate on. I take pride in sharing what I have learned from experience, but I gotta tell you it really begins to tick me off when people who spend most of their time plugged in to the web tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
IMO, Glen e has some of the sharpest and cleanest cars on this forum. His infamous new paint sealant procedure has been followed by many on these forums with astounding results. I've never put wax on my wheels because it didn't make sense to me. RacerRik has found something that he feels works for him. To each his own, but personally the guy with over 9,000 posts hasn't steered me wrong yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts